Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie_laws

Thoughts on wood look tile for my great room

3 years ago

The attached pic is my in-work great room - with what I have going on with ceiling and shelves, should I go for a darker or lighter wood look tile floor? I will have darker beams installed soon. The beams will be about the color of the shelves

Comments (7)

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

with all the real looking wood, why are you choosing a wood-look tile?

Either pick a diff type of tile, or pick real wood floors. I'm just afraid the wood-look tile will stand out like a sore thumb against the surround real wood.

did you want something dark like the ceiling or lighter like your stone?

I tried to find some darker wood ceilings and wood floors so you can see

I think if you did an engineered wood like this, (a wide plank french oak) it would look best.

If you can't do real wood floors, then do a type of limestone tile. really large limestone

• 3 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts Beth! it is an open concept great room, so I don't think I would do real wood in the kitchen. I will consider the limestone tiles in my great room.

• 3 years ago

Would be wood overload for me. Can’t completely tell from photos t. Like the limestone idea a lot. Especially if your kitchen cabinets are wood

• 3 years ago

Thanks to you both! My kitchen cabinets will be white shaker - and my kitchen is up under a loft. (As you come through my limestone entry, my kitchen is over to the left, under our loft) My ceiling is 28' high at the peak, so there is a lot of distance between the ceiling and the floor. And of course I will break the room up with area rugs. I have a limestone front entry and a limestone tall fireplace. Could wind up with limestone overload with limestone tile?

• PRO
    3 years ago

very beautiful. and not a cheap build. I still don't understand why you wouldn't want real wood floors? (if you don't want them in the kitchen, then just do the limestone tile (or any other tile) in there)

since the limestone on the floor would be a diff look, I don't think it would be too much. I mean, you have a lot of wood in the room too. would wood be overload? I don't think so

I love something like this. more of tumbled or honed, very light stone.

also, I'd stay w/the 24x24 or 30x30 size, and not this 12x24:

Travertine is also limestone, so you don't want that. something in the French limestone realm is what I would look at

and it's a natural w/the rustic wood look.

just for the kitchen, this limestone herringbone would be stunning. I'd do wood floors everywhere else.

wood look tile against real wood looks fake. even if it's on the ceiling and the surround. it will still look fake.

There are very few wood look tiles that actually look real. and those that do are just as expensive as real wood (if not more because install is more expensive) Plus, the wood look tile fad is fading. 20 years from now, you'll have flooring that went the way of orange formica countertops. And for a home of this size, a very expensive redo.

• 3 years ago

@Beth H. I love the tile examples you have placed here - my kitchen and living room are the same room - it's an open concept - I would love real wood floors, but shouldn't I have a continuous floor? And wood does not do well with water, therefore not good for kitchen

• PRO
    3 years ago

do you plan on swimming in the kitchen?? who told you that you can't have wood in the kitchen?

occasional drops or spills aren't going to harm it. And if the kitchen floods, wood floors are the least of your worries.

Should it be continuous? depends. there is no absolute answer. Even if it is open concept, you can transition to tile floors in the kitchen if you like.

If not, then do wood everywhere. But don't sacrifice having real wood only because you think "it shouldn't go in the kitchen!" that's nonsense.

I just redid my kitchen (I used to have slate tile in here and carpet/wood elsewhere) and decided to do all new flooring. I got the 7" wide french oak everywhere, even in the kitchen. I do have a silver limestone in my other living room, so I just transitioned from wood to tile there. looks fine.

I've had spills, wet feet, dropped glasses of water, cat puke (lots of wet cat puke!) and it wipes right up.

but really, all new open concept builds are doing wood in the kitchen

heck, if I had your gorgeous living space w/that beautiful wood ceiling and stonework

I'd splurge on a white oak flooring and do this larger chevron layout, or the herringbone. Somewhere! Even if the pattern was just in the kitchen, or the entry way, I'd do it. This is a classic and will never go out of style.