Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahll

Would wood flooring in game room only look odd?

dahll
last month

I’m converting the unused game room to a crafty / gather space.

Wood flooring would be better than carpet but would it look odd to only do the room above the 2 steps (or include steps) and landing and stairs stay carpeted? I can’t find any examples.

Unfortunately the carpet in that room needs to be replaced. Other areas are ok. Getting an estimate tomorrow on stairs, landing and gameroom but will also get an estimate for just game room

Comments (21)

• P Banos
    last month

I think you'd regret leaving the landing carpeted.

What is the wood on the stairs, is it just painted plywood?

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

Stairs are carpeted as well, I’m sure just plywood underneath.

• P Banos
    last month
    last modified: last month

When you get the bid, I'd compare the whole project vs the floors and "step up" without the stairs plus the cost of replacing the stair carpet. Some people prefer carpeted steps for safety. Once you replace the flooring the existing carpet will likely not look "ok" to you anymore and you will want to replace it, either with wood or new carpet. What are your floors downstairs?

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

Floors downstairs are all wood, matching them to staircase might be tricky. The 2 long steps that go into the gameroom would be easy to add to bid.

Do you think curved staircase, landing that goes to bedrooms would look ok as carpet and then the 2-steps along with the gameroom proper would be ok looking with wood? If I’m reading right, that’s your suggestion?

I am concerned we get the whole thing done and it might not look good with landing and curved staircase. Curved stairs were $9,000 if we added to original build in 2016, hence the reason I’m trying to skirt this much higher cost a bit. But, I won’t if it looks terrible.

• P Banos
    last month

I think carpeted stairs can work just fine between two levels with wood floors. Just make sure the carpet is harmonious with both floors and give some thought to how the transitions will happen. Do you want the carpet to end below the landing with a wood nosing or wrap over the edge and transition to wood?

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, all good points when we talk through the bid tomorrow. Seems like carpet breaking up the 2 floors with wood might also help with not matching the wood ad I may not be able to find same color, texture of the downstairs.

• P Banos
    last month

Let us know what you decide!

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

Will do, thank you.

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

Made a decision-going to put wood in entire upstairs, landing and all and replace carpet on stairs.

I did choose a lighter woods (narrowing between 2) for upstairs, since the carpet breaks it up.

I like the “birch” one closest to railing but it doesn’t match railing as well as piece at the bottom.

Thoughts on samples needing to match railing with orange tones vice gray tones in sample?

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you so much for the advice, it was VERY helpful. We ordered materials today!

• P Banos
    last month

Good for you. Please show us how it all looks complete. It will be nice to have a fresh space and pretty stairs.

• hollywaterfall
    last month

Not that is matters sinc eyou seem to have decided already, but I would do the room and landing all but not the stairs in wood. Stairs in carpet works well. As far as your picture, I think the wood matching to the carpet is more important than the railing. I love the choice nearest the railing in the pic, but the other is fine as well.

• dahll
    Original Author
    last month

That’s actually what we decided to do, all wood up to bedrooms and bathroom and then carpet on stairs. I didn’t consider the noise and potential slipping (us and the pup) when we first wanted to do it.

I did like both wood selections too.

I do appreciate the input, it just helps solidify that it was the right choice. Thank you!

• Zap Rey
    last month

I have wood on my landing and the floors above and below the stairs, carpet on all stairs, and it looks good. Yours will too!!!

• Christine Botti
    last month

All wood , especially the stairs

• dreaminginwi
    last month

Hello, great choices, I’m sure that’s going to look beautiful when it’s finished. Any chance you can share what the brand/ color your new carpeting is? I’ll be looking for some soon and the carpeting you chose is really pretty.
    Thanks!

• Margo L
    29 days ago

Love your dark wood floors. I have wood floors on the first floor and wood steps to the second floor, treads match the floor color. The second floor has carpet. Never regretted removing the carpeted stairs. I use carpet treads for safety on the stairs.

• dahll
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@dreaminginwi - the new carpet is

DW 8623 San Lucas #6130 East Cape

• dreaminginwi
    29 days ago

@Dahll Thank you so much for the info. Please post photos of the project when it’s finished!

• dahll
    Original Author
    29 days ago

You’re welcome…I sure will.