Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sneha_jain59

First time home buyer - Need Kitchen Design Advice

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We just bought our first house in this crazy market. Took us forever but we were able to find something that we love and doesn’t need much work.

I am not good at home design and honestly it gives me anxiety just thinking about it. I am sharing some pictures of the kitchen breakfast nook and family room. The furniture is from the old sellers so we will be buying new ones.

With wall colors I usually like neutral grey shade palettes and in terms of design choices we like modern, modern farmhouse, contemporary look and feel. Honestly whatever I look at online, I like everything (that’s how non picky and confused I am)

Overall I need help with which wall colors to pick and how to furnish the whole area. Because its all open I feel like kitchen, breakfast area and living area need to be connected in terms of furniture choices.

We will be staining the floor to be a darker color.

Family room :

1. Should I color the fireplace? If yes, then what color?

Kitchen :

1. We want to update the countertops to quartz.

2. Any ideas on backsplash?

3. The one big thing we want to do is make the island bigger. I think we will try to make an island using cabinets as its cheaper. The current island is 3x4. What island size do you recommend? I have attached the measurements of the kitchen

4. I wanted to have the island a different color. I also looked at some pictures that have brass/gold cabinet hardware and I like that. Any thoughts on different island color and cold hardware? If you think it’s a crazy idea, you can tell me that I wont be offended.

5. We will be changing the light fixtures as well

I don’t have a huge budget to hire an interior designer for everything but wanted to maybe hire a consultant for a couple of hours to basically look at bigger picture design of the whole house and validate my current ideas or give ideas on how to decorate the house and pick furniture. Any recommendations for a consultant is welcome. We are located in the Chicago suburbs.

Comments (7)

• 3 years ago

Usually the suggestions say live in the house for 6-12 months before making changes.

Maybe someone from your area will recommend a designer. There are also online designes

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I only have a couple of suggestions:

”We will be staining the floor to be a darker color.”

I don’t recommend this. Dark floors are a maintenance nightmare. They show every speck. You will have to clean them constantly because a couple of specks look so glaring against a dark floor they’ll make it seem as if the entire floor is not clean. I am not exaggerating, so mark my words. Meanwhile, the natural stain that is on the floor now shows nothing. I’d keep it if possible.

”Any ideas on backsplash?”

Backsplash must be chosen last, after everything else is installed, especially after the counters. Even seasoned interior designers with decades of experience wait to install the backsplash. If you try to pick a backsplash too early you will make a mistake.

”The current island is 3x4. What island size do you recommend?”

It is impossible to answer this question without having precise measurements of the kitchen. Anyone who says they can answer this question without drawn-to-scale kitchen measurements you should run far far away from. Plus are you going to have seating or not at the island will certainly affect island size. There are also aisle clearances to keep in mind, and things like can you open the oven door with a bigger island, and what about the flooring under the island what happens to that, and what about seating and counter overhangs for seating, and what about electrical for the island as there are building Code requirements for electrical in the island.

As mentioned in the post above, don’t dive in too fast or you will regret it. Though I don’t think you need 6-12 months; I think 3-6 months should give you an idea of what you like and don’t like about the kitchen. It will also help to have the time to research and learn some things about kitchen renovation. In any case, lead times for contractors are, like, 4-6 months these days, so you won’t be able to implement changes in a short time in any case.

• 3 years ago

Unless you want the island to extend beyond the cabinetry run on the wall (which might interfere with your dining area), it appears you only have space to extend the island another 2 feet. So, 3x6. That’s a guesstimate based on what you’ve shown.

• 3 years ago

Congratulations! It looks like a nice space with good light.

The fireplace looks to me like it has already been lightly whitewashed. I would leave it as is; it will add a bit of warmth to neutral gray palette.

I agree with the above advice to give yourself some time with the existing kitchen before committing to changes. The issues you think are big from the outside looking in are sometimes not a big deal when you are working in the kitchen, while problems you never even saw become enormous irritants when trying to cook a meal.

I don't like how the previous owner had their living room furniture laid out, and I think you can do better. But best to start another post on that, with a floorplan of the room with dimensions, and photos and dimensions of any furniture your are bringing with you that you want to keep.

• 3 years ago

I like the white paint. Looks very good. Countertops should be replaced to something white with some gray vaining. I like gold hardware a lot!!!! The backsplash as other people said should definitely wait. But I will probably recommend a herringbone , finger tile or pocket style tile for that... but time will tell lol. For the living room I’d white wash the brick and remove the carpet. Do a sectional couch it’ll cozy up the space. Add a pretty rug with blues in it. And lots of textures. Poufs blankets pillows.... as far as floor stain I like lighter rather than dark and it’ll go better with the farm vibe you said you guys liked. Something like this

• 3 years ago

Also. Some lifting ideas

• 3 years ago

Beautiful home!! Your home looks newer and pretty up to date. Your questions hint at a modern what's in NOW vibe. The fireplace should not should not be painted, more. As stated above it already was and from your question I assume you don't care for it. Tough to remove paint from brick sooo go slow. The grays you have been seeing are on their way out so I would not suggest you embrace them now. Warm and bolder is the palate for 2021 and beyond. As well as precise measurements we need your specific needs in this island. Seating? Another prep sink? Just because you see HGTV designers putting in HUGE islands? What's YOUR vision and why? Do you have another eating area elsewhere so if this new island invaded some of the present eating area can you accommodate large group dining elsewhere in the home? What's your plan for window treatments? Those windows are gorgeous during the day but at night they will become large BLACK holes that will suck the light right out of the room and in Chicago this time of year...nights are loooong. Congratulations!!