Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmp1228

Kitchen reno, layout opinions please

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

EDITED POST FOR COURTESY:::::::After reading Buelh's tips on how to post to houzz so the community has the information they need to help, I am editing my post. Much gratitude to those who have given me their feedback and expertise already based on the limited information I provided. It has been extremely helpful as we try to navigate all of these decisions. Below is more information which I hope will be useful as you review my request. Thank you.

We are doing a major reno to our kitchen. Attached is the proposed floor plan by our cabinetmaker as well as a few 3D diagrams. We are wide open for opinions. And I truly appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer their opinion. We have been waiting 20 years to do this and want to make sure all angles are considered before we forge ahead. Thank you!

A few things you should know:

1. We have a 2-story brick cape code house which faces east; I've noted our front door on the diagram. When you walk into our house we have a small very entrance: straight ahead you go upstairs to bedrooms, go right and you are in the DR, a step left and you are in the LR.

2. We are taking down a wall between our formal dining room and current kitchen to make a larger space. It has a full basement underneath. It is a loadbearing wall; our preference is to not have a header that can be seen rather a ceiling which is flush between the two rooms. We know it will be more expensive.

We cannot take down the wall between our kitchen and family room as the FR was an addition using an outside wall of brick; it does not have a full basement underneath, it's built on a slab and has a 2-stair step down.

3. We are empty nesters who cook dinner on a regular basis, but we are not chefs.

4. Our primary goal is to update our kitchen overall (it hasn't been touched in 20 years) with highest *priority* to having better entertaining space.

5. The space behind the penninsula is where I envision putting a round table and chairs.

6. Appliances:

Refrigerator: we currently have a 30 inch fridge as we replaced it when we moved in (we live in a full brick house from 1960 and that is all that would fit in the current kitchen); we plan to replace with 36 inch refrigerator.

Microwave: we are planning on a drawer microwave; it's currently placed in the penninsula.

Dishwasher: standard dishwasher planned

Range: per our current floor plan, we are anticipating a slide-in range with a separate hood; we would like to have open shelves on either side of the hood

I'm not sold on the angled cab at the end of the uppers... anyone have opinions on it? (see below)

Comments (13)

• 3 years ago

I have no advice on colors or styles. Your work path will be more of a trapezoid than a triangle--items will go from fridge to sink, then to peninsula for prepping, since the DW is in the primary prep space. Where do you plan to store dishes?

jmp1228 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 3 years ago

Thanks so much. Yes, you are correct that the work path is not exactly a triangle. We would store our dishes in the upper cabinets (we have one to the left of the sink, as well as 2 above the dishwasher).

• 3 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH Also I would love any suggestions you might have on the layout of the kitchen. We will be starting with a blank slate so are open to other ideas.

• 3 years ago

Layout wise, you seemed to have worked it out quite well. I can't see a significant benefit to changing it from what it is now.

I agree a island wouldn't work in that space, even a narrow one. (and thats saying something because i will work an island in anyway i can if at all possible.)

As for colors, I like your choices of black with light counters. I don't think that the butcher block would work anywhere in the kitchen though. With those colors i see it more of a cool modern kitchen rather than a warm one that could incorporate a wood counter. Also i don't think i'd want butcher block by my stove for a few reasons, 1 fire hazard (thinking gas stove here), 2 butcher block is usually used for prepping and when i had a peninsula i did all of my chopping there and not by the stove. I don't think it would be used for its intended purpose by the stove.

jmp1228 thanked AFritzler
  • 3 years ago

Thanks so much for your input. I love an island also; thanks for confirming our gut feeling on seeking a secondary plan. Do you think there is wasted space between the wall the range will be on and the penninsula? It seems like a vast area (but maybe that's because we are so used to working in cramped quarters.) Thanks for your insight. Appreciate it.

• 3 years ago

21" won't be a lot space to store dishes, especially when plates are now 10.5-11" in diameter. When the DW door is fully open, you won't be able to reach most of the cabinetry in the corner--upper or lower, which is why I asked about dish storage. If you keep dishes in drawers in the cabinet on the end of the peninsula, they could be easily accessed, but again, that will be your prep space. Helpers won't be able to unload the DW or gather dishes to set the table, while you are prepping, but could wait until you move on to cooking tasks.

The logical spot for a trash pull-out is the narrow cabinet on the peninsula but you won't be able to open it if the DW is open at the same time. You can adapt to these issues and work around them, but it's better to know the shortcomings of a layout before you start cooking the first meal in the new kitchen. If you make that narrow cabinet the trash location, and store dishes in drawers on the end, I'd suggest narrower trash, and wider dish drawer. ETA, or add a few inches to the island--at 51" in the traffic aisle, you have space to adjust.

• 3 years ago

Do you have plans for the 103" wall across from the peninsula?

• 3 years ago

Thanks so much! Lots to consider. We could make our penninsula longer as there is a 51 inch walkway. We don't have anything planned for the wall across from the penninsula. If we made the penninsula another 9 inches we could add the trash and a wider dish drawer.

Do you have any other suggestions on the layout?

p.s. The space to the right of the penninsula is left open for a round table and chairs.

• 3 years ago

Maybe you are used to working in cramped spaces because that space between stove and peninsula doesn't seem to large.

You could make the peninsula a bit longer but I wouldn't make your isle between peninsula and wall any less than 48"

jmp1228 thanked AFritzler
  • 3 years ago

I’d put the fridge where the range is so that the range is on the same side of the kitchen as the sink. You don’t want to walk across the kitchen to get to the sink to drain a boiling pot of water!

jmp1228 thanked Sammy
  • 3 years ago

With the measurements you provided (several were missing) and assuming a 48" round table, this is what you have:

You have less space to work with than you think b/c you need to accommodate the table. E.g., there are only 103" to work with on the sink wall, not the approx 138" you show. The available space for the bottom/range wall is also less.

A rectangular table 39"D would save you 9". A bench along the right wall would save you another 12". That would increase the 103" to 124". Like this:

jmp1228 thanked Buehl
  • 3 years ago

Since nothing is going on the 103" wall, if you can extend the island by 9", I think Sammy's idea would work. Move the sink and DW to the peninsula, and put the range to the left of the window. I drew a hood 6" wider than the cooktop, to help contain the steam and grease plume. Alternately, you could center the range between the window and wall, and use a narrow upper on each side. You wouldn't have much landing space to the left, and the range would be very close to the entry--farther from the entry is safer, to give someone entering the space to swing away from the cook.

Normally I'd want the trash pull-out below the prep space, but putting it beside the fridge would give you space for wide drawers to the right of the range. Again, dish storage will be in the prep space, but there is room for the pe3rson prepping to move over to the left, to allow loading and unloading of the DW. A trash pull-out under the sink would also work.

The peninsula cabinet against the wall would open under the seating overhang--27" width would allow for the sink cab to be 3" from the perpendicular drawers, and filler on the other side of the corner would allow hardware to bypass on each cabinet. An advantage to the longer peninsula would be more space for each seat, so the little corner upper could be a full cabinet without being in someone's face.

36" for the traffic aisle is sufficient, since there is no cabinet or appliance opening into the aisle. Keep in mind that a DW on the end of a run will need a return panel, and the final length of the peninsula will depend on the width of the sink cabinet. I used 33". In either version, the peninsula can be moved a few inches toward the left (as drawn), to provide more space for the table and chairs.

Thank you for asking but I am not a pro. :)