Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crm8920

How to hide truss behind window?

3 years ago

Looking for recommendations on how to hide the visible truss behind our dormer window (new construction). The diagonal truss is visible from the outside in the center of window. I'm hoping to make it look as uniform as possible with the lower windows, while still hiding the board.

Comments (18)

• 3 years ago

Paint it black. Add window treatments to the dormer window that match those of the other front windows.

Courtney D thanked jkent9024
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Ask an engineer for a stamped drawing to alter the truss and run it past inspection.

Courtney D thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 3 years ago

Why was a window even added in that spot? Might have made sense if you had actual usable storage attic space in that area. One day it might need cleaning and I bet it won't be easy to get to it ...

Courtney D thanked chispa
  • PRO
    3 years ago

+1. You can probably remove that chord and run some solid plywood to brace it up if need be. Otherwise...put a piece of black fabric over the window.

Courtney D thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Yea, first poster has it.

Once the home is enclosed and the attic is dark you may not be able to see it with lowE reflective coatings on the window, but paint or better a dark panel behind the window would do it.

I daily drive by an "owner builder" spec home with the water heater in front of the windows of side turned garage. It makes me want to scream. @Joseph Corlett, LLC

Courtney D thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • PRO
    3 years ago

You could also contact the truss company and skip the engineer . I did at my house With no problems

Courtney D thanked toddinmn
  • 3 years ago

Screw a piece of black-painted plywood to that truss, if the attic won't be used for storage etc

Courtney D thanked sprink1es
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Another alternative would be to adhere a frosted film to the inside of the glass.

Courtney D thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 3 years ago

Is the window bringing light to the inside?

Courtney D thanked JJ
  • 3 years ago

Thanks all! JJ - yes, it’s facing full sun so light will shine through during the day. Its in our attic as unusable space so not visible from living area.

• 2 years ago

Can you please tell me what you ended up doing to hide the trusses? i have a new construction home and we are trying to figure out what to do to hide them as well! thanks!

• 2 years ago

We ended up screwing 4x8 drywall to the truss in front of the window and painted it black prior to hanging. Its not visible from the outside. Definitely looks much better than a truss running diagonally through the middle of the window!

• 2 years ago

• 2 years ago

What did you end up putting up there?

• 2 years ago

See comment above

• 2 years ago

I see the photo you posted and some of the recommendations but dont see where you posted the final outcome, sorry!

• 2 years ago

We ended up screwing 4x8 drywall to the truss in front of the window and painted it black prior to hanging. Its not visible from the outside. Definitely looks much better than a truss running diagonally through the middle of the window!