Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleymcrocker

Help me with my open layout, please!

3 years ago

I have lived in my new home for 3 years and can’t make anything work. Being immune compromised, my husband and I have not left the house for the last year and I’d really like to make it our calm haven. I have a sectional coming, one like the one pictured, and the only other thing I’m keeping is the tv console and dining room chairs. We want to paint the walls light grey or white eventually. With this very open concept I feel daunted tying everything together. Also, with the open wall, I don’t know if I can put something about it or not. Same goes for above the tv. I would absolutely love any feedback or ideas of where I can hang things and how I should style them. We previously had a navy colored rug and I didn’t like how dark it was so I got this very light one and now find it boring. I’d love something in between. Curtains and chandeliers will be swapped out too.

Comments (58)

• 3 years ago

And what style is it that you prefer?

• 3 years ago

Do you like this...

• 3 years ago

Or this...

• 3 years ago

Or this...

• 3 years ago

Thank you, bluemarble! I was thinking I would keep the same style curtains as I currently have (came with the house) that cover the top window and below window. I just need to figure out what material and color, but maybe that should come after painting.

I do think a round table would be great actually and had considered it. I am considering moving the dining room to the fireplace room. The only issue there is that the chandelier is not centered and the table won't go directly under it..maybe a different style handing light would be better if I make this change in rooms? We like the fireplace room because of all the windows and the fireplace and had thought maybe it would make a nice sitting room, which is why the table is in the other room. It's just on the other side of the kitchen wall so not too far for me to go. We also rarely eat at the table since it's just me and my husband. I also don't mind the separation when we are hosting so people go to the table and aren't crowding me in the kitchen, hosting very rare though so not a major factor. I guess I should start with selecting a round table and just seeing how I like it in each room and then decide on what to do with the other room I leave open..

I like all of those photos to be honest. Do lean more towards the first blue one, but like the plant in the other one.

• 3 years ago

Bummer about the chandelier not being centered. Is it possible for you to post a floor plan that has measurements of both rooms with all doors and windows? Maybe that's more help than you want, but that's what happens when you post on houzz LOL. Good plan to see how you feel after getting a table, but Elaine makes a good point about not getting ahead of yourself. We need a plan, literally a floor plan haha.

It's funny you said you like all three of those photos. I wondered when I posted them if you would think they were all the same concept. It was hard to find ones with a white sectional that didn't just have blue pillows. I chose those particular ones, because I was thinking you might like the Pottery Barn vibe which is the first photo. The second is mid-century modern which is a little less fussy. The third is more contemporary, but I wondered if you'd respond to more color. Plants are universal and a must. ; )

Are you wanting a neutral rug that has a little more color, pattern, texture or all of these things? Is the current rug and 8x10? I wonder if you should go bigger, since the room is quite large. Or do you think it will end up in the walkway? Just seems like your chair is trying to be a part of the scene, but isn't quite getting there LOL. Maybe the rug could be turned the other direction?

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Whoah, Jesse Fay's comment just popped up for me. My apologies if I've said anything redundant. Definitely agree another curtain panel is needed. How long do you suppose those curtains are, Ashley? I wouldn't use tie-backs. You just need longer rods, so the curtains have room to spread out on each side of the window.

• 3 years ago

Also, you said you have other furniture pieces planned for the room. Care to share? What color are you painting the room? What is the fabric you ordered for your sectional? Not leather, correct?

• 3 years ago

Strange, Jesse’s comment just showed up for me too.

The rug is 9x12 I believe. I think a 8x10 would look better as the front of the sectional will be on it. If I go bigger it would be in the walkway. I’m thinking I’ll add a runner behind the couch & possibly a rug where the dining table it. I just have no vision to get rugs that all mesh well together. I’m thinking of paying for Modsy or Havenly.

• 3 years ago

Correct, the sectional is a light fabric as shown in the photo. I’m thinking of a round coffee table and the arc lamp. That’s about the only furniture I have planned. I am planning either light gray or white for the walls.

• 3 years ago

Ashley, I wasn't sure if you were serious about just paying for a design service. Do you still want assistance here on houzz? If so, I'd like to help you find some rugs. What is your budget for the large living room rug? It would also be helpful to know the length of your curtains, because you may need custom sizing.

• 3 years ago

Are you interested in trying the rug in the other direction? Then you could put the front feet of the sectional and the chair on it. Do you like a table like this from West Elm?

• 3 years ago

West Elm's Meadow Rug is modern neutral that gives you a little more so you don't feel it's boring like the one you're returning. Where did your current rug come from?

Here is a forever rug that is a traditional Persian. Again, neutral with a little color.

Close-up...

• 3 years ago

Yes, I would sill like help here on Houzz. I am thinking of trying either of those services if I still can't come up with something to do.

I definitely want to change to a 8x10 rug as this was recommended by a couple different store designers when I was searching for a sectional. I'm not sure I see myself going for the bright yellow one. I'm probably more traditional in that sense. I do like that West Elm table, thank you! I was originally trying to get a round coffee table with a pedestal as I don't particularly like all the bars on that style, but it seems to be the trend right now and hard to find other marble top tables that aren't like that. I will likely hold off on curtains for now as I want to paint first and then decide on the color of those. I will probably go with a pottery barn rug if I can find one I like as I have a 50% off rug coupon there. I mostly need help with finishing touches, rug, pillows wall art (being either personal photos or decorative), side tables and decor on top, entry way set up, something on the tv console, etc.

• 3 years ago

I don't blame you for not wanting what everyone else has. I'm happy to help you find whatever jazzes you. Not sure of budget, surface diameter or even what style we're after yet, so I'm just throwing things out here. The Jayne marble top from Pottery Barn is very cool, but it's $1K. Most seem pricey to me, but maybe there are some President's Day sales coming up.

Home Depot Gideon 36" for $500...IMO, you can always paint what you don't like. I bought a marble top tulip side table a few years ago that was all white. I painted the base antique brass. I don't mind the black base on this one, just not sure about the top. Do you like rustic?

West Elm, $699. A little small, but I love it.

Really pretty from Home Depot!

Ashley Marie thanked bluemarble
  • 3 years ago

You mentioned modsy earlier...I searched for guidance on what size rug is best suited for a sectional, and I noticed modsy weighed in on the subject:

Here is a sectional with chaise using an 8x10...

Here is a larger sectional like yours using a 9x12...

• 3 years ago

Do you like blue velvet?

Or vintage kilims...

Or tassels...

Or black and white...

• 3 years ago

Overstock has a 2 tiered marble coffee table that is $709 (the second table below), but they will probably have a sale coming up soon. If you give them your email address, they will send coupons often. A couple of days ago, they sent me one for 17% off, so that table was $588.

This is one of Pottery Barn's rugs and a few pillows from etsy along with the West Elm table.

Have you seen the antelope print pillows before. I think they would look nice in your space. They come in a lot of nice colors and are great for layering.

• 3 years ago

Ok, Ashley...I was playing around again and have some thoughts. I think you should paint the ceiling the same color as the walls. When you get new curtains, make sure there are panels on both sides of each window and that they extend at least six inches out from the window frame on each side. You may have to pull your tv stand a bit away from the wall. I probably wouldn't hang anything over the tv, but you can make that decision after you get new curtains.

I don't know that I would hang anything over the pass-through either. There is a lot going on visually when looking in that direction with the chandelier, sliding doors, fireplace and any other furniture/decor you plan for that room. You could add wood trim to the upper part of the opening to bring some warmth up onto the wall and help delineate the two spaces better. I have to send photos separately as houzz is acting up.

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

I found a UK website that has some really cool home decor, and put a few of their items in your room along with the Pottery Barn marble top coffee table. I added the wood trim over the pass-through as well. I also did a mock-up with the items and one of the PB rugs and some extra pillows in case you'd prefer a different palette.

https://www.collardmanson.co.uk/collections/cushions?page=2

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

On the tv stand?

• 3 years ago

Thank you, bluemarble! I love the idea you found for the pass through wall! Very cool. And thank you very much for the mockups and decor options you provided. I have moved my dining table to the fireplace room and now trying to decide if I should do a round table or rectangle. I do so far like it in the fireplace room...I just now have no idea what to do with the now empty room..

Right now we have our exercise bike in there LOL

• 3 years ago

Can we see the table in the new location? Let's call the fireplace room your dining room now. ; ) Maybe you should choose the shape of table based on how well it will center under the chandelier while allowing optimum traffic flow. If you went with round, you might have room to flank the fireplace with a couple of small comfy chairs. A floor plan with measurements would be helpful.

As for the now fitness nook haha...can we see a photo of it straight on? It's ok if there's an exercise bike there. What are the dimensions of that area? You could get a baby grand piano!

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

As you can see, I think the dining table is wayyy too big for this room. I've been wanting a new espresso colored one anyway, just need to determine round or rectangle. I came across this photo and it's making me reconsider which room the dining room will be... I originally had this kind of layout in mind for by the fireplace...

• 3 years ago

I guess it's going to be a matter of what you ultimately want. When I look at these new photos, the fitness zone looks smaller than I thought and your dining table in front of the fireplace does not look too big at all to me. If you moved the desk and chair to the fitness zone, you could still put chairs on either side of the fireplace. I could be wrong - because we don't have measurements! ; )

You could shoot for the best of both worlds by having dining chairs that double as lounge chairs...

• 3 years ago

Just measured, the "fitness room" is 9.5' x 9.5'. the dining room is 10.5' x 13.5'.

• 3 years ago

Awesome, thank you! What are the dimensions of your dining table, desk and stereo console? How far does the hearth come out into the room?

• 3 years ago

Stereo console is 4.5’ x 14”, it can go in either room. The hearth comes out 21”. The table is 6’ x 37”, but I don’t intend to keep it.

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

Wasn't able to post comment with the graphics. Just some food for thought.

• 3 years ago

Thank you! The fireplace is on the longer wall.

I am going to find a round table and see how I like it :)

Just still have no idea what use the other room would have. Maybe a reading room ?

• 3 years ago

Oh you’re kidding lol. I almost asked if you’re camera was doing a fish eye thing, because the shapes in seeing don’t match the dimensions. I’ll play with it again in a bit. What are the measurements for the pass through?

I like the idea of the extra space being a reading and music room.

• 3 years ago

Here you go, I snapped another photo. Sorry, I did zoom out on my phone to get the entire room. I see now it heavily throws off the dimensions.

• 3 years ago

Such a cute room! I would definitely put a round table in there. Can you take a new photo of the reading room, because it looks deep and narrow to me. Actually, I didn't notice (nor do I know how it happened) that I have the long wall at 18'2". LOL

So the fireplace wall is 13.5' and the pass-through wall is 10.5'? I was trying to guess on measurements for the pass-through, doorway between the DR and LR, sliders and windows. Also guessed on the width of the reading room window. Feel free to give more measurements for all of these things. Hope I haven't lost you for the night!

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

You could put a tall bookcase next to the stereo console and put art on the wall above the console to create balance and visual interest next to the bookcase. The height will help to fill the space on that large wall.

• 3 years ago

Thank you! I do love the idea of it being a music & reading room. I did some more measurements.. fireplace wall is 166”. Pass through wall is 125”. The pass through is 96”. And the window in the music reading room is 70”

• 3 years ago

I like the idea of comfy club chairs around a pedestal dining table. Did you say you were keeping your current dining chairs?

• 3 years ago

Haha, didn't see your last comment. I'll check my measurements...

• 3 years ago

Yeah, the chairs are pretty new so I’ll likely keep them.

• 3 years ago

How do you feel about a square rug?

• 3 years ago

I meant to say that I really like your inspiration photo for a cozy seating area by the fireplace. It makes total sense if you are prone to lounging by the fire. We use our fireplace all the time, but it's in our family room. Your plan to get the table first is a good one, then you can see which room you prefer.

One way to look at it is this...when you walk in the front door, what do you want to see? If you look toward the living room extension, do you want to see an eating area? Could even be more of a breakfast nook by adding bench seating under the window. Or do you want to see a lounge area where you curl up with a book and listen to music.

When you look toward the pass-through, do you want to see a dining room table with a fresh bouquet of flowers or bowl of fruit under a lovely chandelier? Or do you want that to be your cozy reading & music room beyond which your eye is drawn to beautiful landscaping through the large wall of windows?

• 3 years ago

Ashley, you might grab some painter's tape and mark out an area on the floor for a round table to see what size is best with your current chairs. Do you have a budget in mind?

https://www.burkedecor.com/products/clifton-round-dining-table-by-bd-studio

https://www.castlery.com/us/products/theo-round-dining-table

• 3 years ago

The reason I asked about size and price is that this is pretty fabulous and has a variety of sizes, but cost goes up and up LOL. Comes in bluestone and white marble.

https://www.arhaus.com/furniture/dining-room-furniture/dining-room-tables/enzo-dining-table/?TopFinishName=WHITE%20MARBLE&Diameter=39.000