Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Stunted growth of Miscanthus - zebra grass

2 years ago

I transplanted a clump of zebra grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus') late last August, and it survived the winter but is really slow to put on height, heading into late June it's not even knee height, no where close to the others in the planting.

What are the odds this will end up being a decent height this season? This clump is needed to plug a visual hole, so if it's not going to shoot up I'll buy a replacement plant and pot this one up to grown on for future use. What do you guys think?

Here you can see it in relation to the other zebras behind it:

Comments (5)

• 2 years ago

how delicate was the moving process ... in other words.. how abused was the root mass ...

id probably vote for patience ... i dont really see planting a new plant in basically july in MI .. is going to grow any faster than this one ... there is the whole.. slow .. grow.. leap 3 year cycle for perennials ... how is planting a new one going to shorten that ?????

im sure you know the farmers creed.. there is always next year ...

ken

ps: but then there is the mx creed .. i want it fixed now.. lol ....

pps: how hard did the storms hit your area the other night ... we got a ton of water ... and thunder ..... but not much wind or lightening ....

• 2 years ago

Transplanting and/or dividing miscanthus late in the season is a risky proposition. Root development of this warm season grass is almost non-existent in the fall, winter and early spring and they generally do not survive. Even planting at that time is iffy. That it survived at all is impressive and it does not surprise me that growth is slow this year. Be patient....it will catch up :-) But it may take a season or two for it to match those already planted.

• 2 years ago

Yeah, yeah -- I'm following the mx creed here LOL!

There's a big visual hole to be plugged and it's bugging me, so I can buy a large specimen and plunk it in the spot, I don't imagine any trouble getting it established this time of year. I wouldn't ditch this short one -- I would pot it up and grow on for future use, it won't go to waste.

We did get heavy rain here the other night and it was windy but fortunately no damaging storms or power outage. I hurried and got a few trees planted earlier in the day because I knew the rain was on the way and they'd get a good soaking watering.

I knew it was an iffy proposition when I decided to transplant it in late summer, so I am pleased it survived and seems to establishing itself.

• 2 years ago

Well, I did the sensible thing and moved a cup plant that was down by the road into the space. The cup plant needed moving anyway since it was too shady down there, so it will be happier up by the house in a much sunnier location. Another zebra would look best there but big pots are $$$ and the cup needed dealing with, so I figure as long as it's tall and beefy and plugs the hole it'll be fine. Plus, the cup flowers are supposed to attract butterflies, so nice bonus by the house. Eh, if I don't like it there I'll just move it again. I expect the zebra will establish itself in its new big pot and be ready for duty somewhere down the line.

• 2 years ago

Yeah, yeah -- I'm following the mx creed here LOL!

==>>> nailed it ... lol ...

ken