Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_428454211

living room help needed please

2 years ago

I am replacing everything in living room. I need suggestions for sofa and 2 chairs, style and color. I want the space to be cozy and casual. Also replacing tables, drapes lamps and decor. Carpeting is staying. Layout of room is odd, I think I arranged furniture the best way I can. Fireplace is too high for tv above it. Walls are currently SW Irish cream. Would like paint suggestions also. Would like to tone down the yellow/gold tones. Living room opens to dining/kitchen area so will have to go with that space as well, which is pretty neutral, but very warm sandy floor. Including some photos at different angles, hard to get pic of whole room. Current couch is 84” length. I’m not in love with fireplace stone but I can live with it. Don’t think I want it painted.

Comments (57)

• 2 years ago

I like the color of sofa on second one

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Put TV right of the FP on an articulated arm and use a sofa and four swivel chairs in a "U" in front of TV/FP wall. You can use a coffee table or a storage hassock if the kids have toys or gaming gear to store away.

Kiawah Family Home · More Info

• 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of putting tv there. I don’t believe the furniture arrangement would work in my space. I think room is too narrow to pull it off.

• 2 years ago

Please provide two more photos: one of TV wall and one of wall to the right of the fireplacenfrom farther back.

• 2 years ago

Excuse mess on last pic, I have kids here

• 2 years ago

Thanks for the extra photos. Here are some possibilities for grandchild-friendly layout that will work for your room:

--float a low, small proportioned sectional with long side underneath window as you have now and the shorter "L" to form an entryway behind the sofa back as shown below. Put a slim console table there with a basket for keys, mail, etc. This configuration will give you and your grandchildren comfy TV watching spot yet also provide orientation toward the lovely fireplace. A chair to the right of the fireplace can be for extra seating.

This isn't facing

TV wall: same as you have it but remove china cabinet. Get low bookcases the length of that wall with shelves where grandchildren can have a place to put toys, shoes, etc.

For child-friendly palette, match your sofa to your neutral carpeting, assuming that stays. For color, add nice patterned pillows and a throw or two in colors you like that echo your entry rug Consider two side curtain panels in a pattern at the side of the window. Get a round leather storage ottoman in a color you like (or a pair of them) to nestle in the "L" of the small sectional (or a patterned one as shown in the 2nd photo). Or a long one to place in front of long end of sofa. A leather/vinyl ottoman with soft edges is great when you have a smallish room, kids running around, etc. yet looks colorful and attractive--maybe red to echo your entryway rug.

A couple nesting side tables in white and wood would be functional and fun for movie nights in front of TV.

Keep everything medium light the way you have it in your lovely dining room. If you need console cabinets to replace big china cabinet storage, flank the fireplace with a couple of them in same wood as your mantel, door, and trim or white as below. Estate sales and Craigslist might be good for these.

• 2 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions.
    A lot of good ideas. Storage for kids stuff isn’t necessary in LR as I have a spare bedroom to keep their things tucked away. We only bring them out when they are here. I will play around with sectional idea to see if that would work. I don’t like the way furniture is spread out currently. I need color option other than red, want to change color scheme up a bit,I’ve had red accent for quit awhile

• 2 years ago

I think a soft blue sofa or sectional would be great. If you are keeping your rug you can always layer a throw rug over it for some extra color. Also think some blue and white chinoiserie would look fresh as decor.

What's on Your Coffee Table? - Design Chic · More Info

Boston Penthouse Renovation · More Info

Have fun!

• 2 years ago

Oh, next time you post, add information about colors you like, don't like, etc. As for a sectional, which I don't usually recommend, get small scale, low arms, up on legs, but thick back and seat cushions for comfort.

• 2 years ago

I don’t really know what colors to go with, I thought I had to keep everything warmer. Seeing the blues have me loving them. I think I would like the sofa/sectional piece to be more neutral and pattern chairs.

• 2 years ago

If you go neutral, then match the sofa to the rug. Forgot to mention to measure, measure, measure if you get a small sectional.

Here's beige sectional with blue chairs.

More tan with blue chair

• 2 years ago

Any ideas for paint color? Neutral without the yellow

• 2 years ago

It's best to pick your furnishings before you get wall paint so you can coordinate the paint with carpeting, upholstery, trim, fireplace stone.

• 2 years ago

Yes I absolutely agree. I would pick everything first. I guess just want opinion on, “do you think my current wall colors are too yellow”? Also I did some measuring and don’t see even a small sectional working. The larger part would either be way off center on large window or the small end would be in middle of room. Either way ends up too close to TV wall. I would actually like to keep corner curio too. It belonged to my mother and holds a lot of sentimental items.

• 2 years ago

Then get a smallish sofa with a chaise that fits under the window and place two comfortable armchairs facing the fireplace with a small table in between. Is there room for china cabinet in dining area or the small wall that faces fireplace where you now have a loveseat? Are there any other "must keeps?"

Two chairs facing fireplace, sofa under window facing TV.

I just took another look at your current wall paint. It's actually very nice in your dining room and pretty much works with living room. Wait until you have your new furnishings picked out to choose paint. You may not need to. Maybe others will weigh in on paint suggestions with that rug and whatever neutral sofa harmonizes with it.

• 2 years ago

If you provide a room layout with dimensions including windows, doors, opening, people here can help you lay out your furniture first. Creating a furniture layout to me is the first step -- need info such as how many people will use the room, what activities happen in the room, etc. When you know what furniture pieces you need and what sizes will work, you can then decide on the feel and look of the room as you browse for furniture online for inspiration.

• 2 years ago

Nope that’s the only “must keep” it is currently at corner between tv and loveseat. Would fit in dining area in corner but don’t think I want to croud that space with it

• 2 years ago

If you have some help, you could float the loveseat forward so it's reachable to your coffee table. It's not very functional where it is and might look better connected in a conversational groupin with sofa and coffee table. See how that looks. If there's enough space, then move the china hutch over to where the loveseat was. Otherwise, I guess, leave it.

• 2 years ago

Curio is a corner piece….moving loveseat up would put it right in front of tv……I will work on layout with dimensions. Very odd space with hall way, front door, window, fireplace and opening to dining area

• 2 years ago

First picture is loveseat moved up and does look better with sofa but not tv
    Second picture loveseat is about 2 feet away from wall and could work.
    I think maybe 2 accent chairs could work there and maybe keep recliner at right of fireplace. Recliner is old but honestly still in great shape. I guess I could possibly put curio cabinet in corner left of fireplace too. But would lose and end table and lamp.

• 2 years ago

I’m can also move tv over towards opening another 18”

• 2 years ago

Move TV over the 18." Move big chair forward so it's reachable to coffee table. In second photo chair is still disconnected from the room. A pair of chairs up on legs with low arms and back in a pattern you like that coordinates with your eventual sofa would work facing the fireplace.

I also really like the chairs I previously shown because the open spindles give an airiness to the space which you want at the entryway.

This is one of those Dilemmas where the layout problems need to be solved before moving on to color/style palette.

• 2 years ago

Thank you so much for help on layout. I have a better idea on what direction to go as to what furniture pieces I need to look for. I can go slightly smaller and less bulky on new media console too which will make more space for chairs. A few inches here and there might make a difference. When I can get hubby to move tv over for me, I’ll get better look at space for chairs.

• 2 years ago

Great! I'm sure you'll make some good choices since you did a good job on the dining room. Maybe a white media console for the TV that's wider than the one you have will make your china cabinet stand out and echo the white in the dining room. You could do some art around that wall with frames that match the china cabinet so they link together. Good luck!

• 2 years ago

Thanks again, I’m sure I’ll be asking for more advice once I start shopping around. Thank you for compliment on dining area, I second guess my choices and hope they turn out ok.

• 2 years ago

I would get white end tables and TV console. You can make your beautiful cabinet the star. in the room by not crowding a love seat into the space. I would focus on getting a sofa or small sectional and some comfy chairs. Your wall color in the dining room looks good and your rug blends well. The drapes are great for the room. I would pick two colors that go well together to use for pillows, table lamps etc. To keep the room looking fresh, I would go with blue and green.

• 2 years ago

DTY Indoor Living Silverthorne Spindle Chair, White/Navy Moroccan Tile · More Info

• 2 years ago

Thank you for suggestions. Do you have any advice on furniture brands? I don’t want the highest priced furniture but want something decent that will last awhile. I was looking at pottery barn, but read some threads here that their quality has gone down. I do like some of the reclaimed wood furniture but not sure if that style suits my home. Guess I need to find sofa and chairs first. From what I see it will take up to 6 months to get it.

• 2 years ago

Spindle chairs above are from Houzz. Things I've purchased through Houzz have been good quality. For sofas, you should sit on them before you buy. Test out the "Goldilocks" effect. I'm not familiar with different brands but I think furniture has become more like fashion items. I think people want to change their styles more often and don't want to keep the same things for 20 years. If you have furniture stores near you, go try some out.

• 2 years ago

Only one we have about 30 minutes away is an Ashley home store. I’m hoping to find some online, then travel to store if it’s not too far way.

• 2 years ago

I did a rough layout. Dimensions aren’t quite exact but enough to give and idea of my space. First one is how it was and second one is moving chair and a half up as far as I can. I will only have room for 1 chair and maybe a very small side table. Sofa with chaise will not work. I’m including some pics of pieces I like. I really like the trunk table as one end table. Two-tone media console will bring in same color as dining area without doing all white pieces. Trunk table on side of sofa by the fireplace. If any one can offer any opinions on how these pieces look together and if they would work together in my room I would really appreciate it.

• 2 years ago

More

• 2 years ago

Having hard time finding accent chairs too!

• 2 years ago

Also would like TV mounted on wall

• 2 years ago

Small side table, if I put one beside accent chair, 17”

• 2 years ago

Your choices look good. Like the console for under TV. You show either a love seat or very large chair by corner cabinet. It looks awkward. I would put 2 smaller chairs there instead. Don't know what colors you are planning to use. Here are some chairs from overstock which I would use to keep the space casual.

Herrera Upholstered Armchair with Nailhead Trim,set of 2 - Overstock - 32559221 · More Info

Copper Grove Boulogne Suri Blue Swoop Chair - On Sale - Overstock - 17666619 · More Info

• 2 years ago

Layout is with current chair and a half….I think I’m only going to have room for 1 accent chair

• 2 years ago

Here are a couple of ideas instead of coffee table.

Rush Grass Knotwork Coffee Table/Ottoman, Natural · More Info

Upholstered Squared Storage Ottoman, Blue · More Info

• 2 years ago

Thanks for suggestions…I keep looking for more inspiration. If you have anymore ideas please post.

• 2 years ago

I’m kind of liking the blues, anyone have opinion on how they would look together in my room

• 2 years ago

I like the color of chair in too left…not the one on bottom

• 2 years ago

Another style blue chair

• 2 years ago

I find chairs with wooden arms kind of uncomfortable. Chair above looks comfortable. You could also try chairs in same color as sofa. It would help brighten up the space.

• 2 years ago

I would be ok with that and keeping sofa and chair neutral. I keep reading that you shouldn’t buy a matching set.

• 2 years ago

I've seen some rooms with matching sets that look very sophisticated. You can add color with art, pillows etc. Examples:

Sherman Lake Home · More Info

Duffield Drive · More Info

• 2 years ago

Beautiful! I’m going for more casual style but the added color certainly adds a lot to the room

• 2 years ago

Do you think adding the blues that I posted would be enough on the neutral sofa and chair or should I add another color?

• 2 years ago

I would do something on tables and fireplace also

• 2 years ago

Try the blues you show and if you need more color go for it! Have fun and show us what you come up with!

• 2 years ago

Ok thanks for all the advice!!!
    Might be awhile till I put everything together. First I have to order some fabric samples in or go shopping with a carpet sample to get the right neutral shade for the furniture. There are so many to choose from