Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_benesch

Bathroom wall backslash

2 years ago

I want to transition shower backslash to a different backslash behind toilet/vanity on same wall. Color blend but patterns are different. Tile shower walls all same. Shower floor light blue glass. Vanity splash light white grey mosaic. Friends say too busy but I beg to differ. Am I just blind? See photo attached. Shower wall splash would transition to white grey marble mosaic with a strip of trim inbetween. Mosaic tile would go halfway up wall. Blue mosaic would be shower floor and niche. Custom shower door. This is for a small bathroom. Thank you in advance!

Comments (13)

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Your friends are right. And if the colors on my monitor are true, the blue glass does not really go with any of the others, which look more beige than white and gray (could be my monitor). The style of the blue glass does not complement the patterned tile (which is very pretty). Why not put the patterned tile on the floor of the shower (if it's rated for floors/shower) and eliminate the glass one?

eta: and tho' you are writing backslash, it's backsplash and showers don't have backsplashes. Backsplashes are on walls above counters. So when you say shower 'backsplash', do you mean a trim tile, or accent tile or the whole wall tile? Same question about wall backsplash...do you mean a full wall of tile or a wainscoating of tile (partially up the wall)? What is going to be on the bathroom floor outside of the shower? Do you have any inspiration pics you can post that show what you mean?

• 2 years ago

Thank you for your repsonse. The tile on top would go floor to ceiling in shower. Its white with grey veins. The blue glass would have gone on shower floor.  The mosaic pattern would go behind vanity halfway up but would abut to shower wall tile.  There is no beige. The problem is my daughter loves the blue glass tile.

• 2 years ago

Like this except you can't see shower floor in photo.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Well, your new picture shows more true colors, I think. It is pretty. Would you consider a simpler tile out of the exact same material as the shower walls instead of the patterned one? Then the blue tile would be the star and really stand out? What material is on the bathroom floor? I couldn't tell from your response if it's the same thing as the shower walls? What size tiles in the shower and on the bathroom floor? Look to see if they have coordinating tiles to the shower tile in the same material -like a subway or smaller square without a design. If you could find a matching pencil liner to the blue glass, you could work that into a plainer tile on the walls behind the sink/toilet.

• 2 years ago

What about getting a plain tile for the floor of the shower that matches the walls (a smaller plain mosaic) and using the blue behind the vanity like this. Maybe forget tiling behind the toilet?

I should have posted these in my response above, but it won't let me move them....maybe do this with a plain tile matching the shower walls as the backsplash behind your vanity and wainscoting behind the toilet.

• 2 years ago

Olychick, I love both of your ideas. I also love the shower tile in your photo making the floor pop. It looks like pool water

The floor tile was larger in size and color of wet cement.  In first picture down at bottom. I would be ok with going with a plain white tile in shower.

2 questions…how would it look with blue glass also behind vanity and toilet? Too much? Can I go with a completely different splash or carry shower wall tile?And should the floor color be the same color as shower wall? Thank you for your input ❤

color as shower wall

• 2 years ago

Also, do you happen to know the floor glass tile brand and name?

• 2 years ago

Is shower glass tile rated for shower floors? Will it be slippery?

• 2 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Yes, it can be used for shower floors, walls and splash. Not sure how slippery but with grout inbetween it might be ok.

• 2 years ago

I just posted random pics from the internet by searching for blue seaglass mosaic tile, so not sure of the names. You could do an image search, maybe and narrow it down.
    If it were my bath, I'd probably stick to a plainer tile everywhere but the shower floor and niche (or a vertical stripe as shown) where I'd use the glass tile. The glass tile is a BIG statement and you really want it to be the star.

• 2 years ago

Love that blue glass but it looks like a lot of grout space. What kind of grout is used with that?

• 2 years ago

I plan on having a white grout.

• 2 years ago

That will look nice. What type of grout is used with glass tile underfoot for ease of cleaning?