Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilanlieu

tear it apart—kitchen design and Island Size help!!!

2 years ago

Hi everyone! Struggling w/ this design. My kitchen is average size. But it has NO WINDOWS. On the opposite side, there are sliding glass doors leading out, and an angled window and dining room with another slider. It isn’t super dark, but by no means is it bright. Average 96” ceilings. We have a ton of recessed lights I plan to out new retrofit cans into.

It has a few more challenges. To the left, I have a small wall that comes out to 21” and houses furnace vent and electrical. And there used to be a doorway that leads to living room. I have worked w a designer and an ikea kitchen planner to get this far. But designer mid-measured my kitchen and stared I could fit more than I can…and in the process I kind of fell in love with a 4’ wide kitchen island. Working with Ikea’s designer, I discovered I can have 2 lazy Susan’s, and make it fairly symmetrical. But he states I can do usual 3’ wide or 4’ wide island. If I do 4’, I feel like the entrance from garage (on right side) will always spit one out into the island. There’s a large pathway, and 2 steps down, but is this large permanent fixture too much to constantly hit visually?

I want to create a calming kitchen without a lot of visual noise. We chose the Bodarp (gray green) kitchen with uppers in the bamboo door that hinge up. These uppers will be wrapped in a white panel from Ikea. Sink will have floating shelves, countertop will likely be snowy white or blizzard quartz. And backsplash will also be a solid type of white tile.

Considering doing a larger lip on the counters and island as well—but weighing the cost. Anyone with 2” or 2.5” countertop lip love it or hate it? Is the expense worth it?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Comments (6)

• 2 years ago

You don't want to trek from the fridge to the sink to prep foods under water, plus the island blocks your path. Try stacking oven/micro where the fridge is and use an induction cooktop in the island and fridge where the range is. If you weren't using KIEA, I'd suggest all drawers and pullouts, but theirs always look skimpy/fimsy to me. Saving $$ with no uppers might allow you to upgrade to a better line of all drawers/pullouts below. Here's why.

• 2 years ago

You said you “kinda fell in love” with the bigger island. I was positive I knew the perfect size of my new island until I did a full size mock up in my actual size. My ideal, from a storage standpoint, was 72”. Once I set up one of my 72” folding tables, I saw instantly it was too big. It crowded my aisles and overwhelmed my kitchen. My island is a perfect 60”. Taking the few minutes to set up boxes or a table of the size you dream will convince you which size works best. I also used my mock-up to visually convince Mr. Wonderful why seating at a counter wouldn’t work as well as a separate table and chairs. ( for the record, sitting at the counter placed the three best views behind us). My daughter used cheap wrapping paper to make patterns to actual size of fridge, range, dishwasher, and sink. We spent an hour or so moving those cutouts around the kitchen of the cabin she is building until-voila’-we discovered switching the range with the fridge gave her a small pantry space. We put plywood on two saw horses to decide the size of the island. Cutting that size by six inches gave her proper clearances. There was a post earlier this week about a too big island already installed. An hour or two doing mockups, living with mockups for a day or two in the actual space can either convince you the size is perfect or needs to be tweaked.

• PRO
    2 years ago

I have had Ikea all drawer cabinets in my last 2 homes loaded with pots and pans some of which are cast iron never had an issue in 20+ yrs so not they are not flimsy.

• 2 years ago

I don’t really understand some if the floor plan, but it doesn’t look like there’s enough space for a banquette or table. Also, the pantry cabinet makes a dead corner. I’d put pantry and fridge on the stove wall. That puts your fridge closer to the sink and might allow your island to expand.

• 2 years ago

Thanks all for the comments. I tried keeping the gas in same place to save $$. But I need to add 220v for dual fuel.

I thought having fridge and pantry on large wall might close off the whole space. I would prefer sink closer to refrigerator….would it be weird to build a floor to ceiling pantry/fridge in middle of room?

The banquette is there because we have a large support beam in ceiling delineating the dining area from kitchen.

Thank you all!!!!

• 2 years ago

Actually I think moving the fridge and pantry to the long wall would open the space up.