Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frakis

Need advice: building in rural Washington state.

2 years ago

Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read this and assist me. I bought 5 acres in rural Washington state, and plan to build a home. We have a builder, and he said he could break ground in April 2022.
My wife and I have been looking at hundreds of floor plans on line, but just can't seem to find the right one. We can have a partial walkout basement with 9 foot ceilings since our lot has a slight downwards slope. I have attached some pictures of the lot for reference. You can also see Mount Hood in the distance on a clear day. I attached one picture where the neighbor plans to build his home (red line showing approximate location of home).
We have been working with an architect to design our home. Is there anything you recommend that is a "must have" while living out there? There is no natural gas (we will need a propane tank and more than likely a wood burning stove for backup). I'm not really handy, but does it make sense to build a shop/shed while the builder has the supplies and crew in n site? We are on top of a mountain with lots of sunlight? Do you recommend solar polar, and if so can you be specific (just a few appliances, or the whole house, etc). Our architect recommended putting in floor heating to help keep the house warm. The weather can get down into the low 20's in the winter and 90's in the summer. There is about 15 inches of rainfall year round, and 32 inches of snowfall.
We currently have a road, electricity, phone line and cable line running to the property.
My wife doesn't feel comfortable being on the main floor so we will have a 2nd floor where the bedrooms will be. The main floor will also have a guest bedroom. The great room will be 2 story so you can have a nice view. I want an overhang and deck coming off the great room to enjoy the view. If you could design your "mountain home" what would you include?
Thank you for all your help. I would greatly appreciate any ideas you may have.

Comments (24)

• 2 years ago

Here are some pictures of the idea of having the 2 story great room with a covered deck that I am trying to achieve.

• 2 years ago

Here are a few more pictures of the Pepsi in the driver when it is really dry. We dug our well to 400 feet, and have 25 gallons per minute. The builder recommended having a mechanical/utility room in the basement to house all the well and septic components.

• 2 years ago

Sorry for the typo: Here are a few more pictures of the property in the summer when it is really dry.

• 2 years ago

I don’ have any comments that are helpful but I wanted to say that your property is beautiful.

• 2 years ago

What direction is Mount Hood from your property?

• 2 years ago

Southwest

• 2 years ago

What a beautiful lot. Best of luck with your build. Im sure you will get some good advice🤞🏻

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I definitely recommend radiant heat in the floors and a cooling system. When the weather turns, you will set the thermostat at a comfortable number and then leave it alone for the entire winter.

Solar panels are a must. The savings on electricity is notable. I believe the magic number to recoup your investment is 20 years or so, but if you are young enough and this is going to be your forever home, then include the cost in your budget.

Southwest: you will need something for shade...exterior awnings or UV protection interior window treatments.

How. big is the family? Your photos show very large homes.

Consider a Prairie style home?

https://www.monsterhouseplans.com/house-plans/prairie-style/2727-sq-ft-home-1-story-2-bedroom-3-bath-house-plans-plan7-1341/

• 2 years ago

Hire an architect.

• 2 years ago

If you want a shop building that looks like the house, get the contractor to build it. If you can separate it from the house and it can look like a shop, get a pole barn builder to put it up. It's amazing how quickly the pole barn builders around here get things built. Twice the size for the same $. Very economical (if that's possible these days).

• PRO
    2 years ago

Before you build, see if Wyntoon is for sale.

• 2 years ago

You had me at Pepsi.

Looks gorgeous- nice that you can get a SW orientation and see the mountains. Also, it might be a bit windy since you are up on a hill with few mature trees for shelter. An attached garage would be nice when the weather is rough.

• PRO
    2 years ago

If you decide to build a prairie Style home, gather influences from the originals.

• 2 years ago

Think about potential wildfires when selecting cladding materials and landscaping. Fires have erupted in areas long thought to be safe from such issues. Storms, earthquakes and widespread power outages could be very disruptive to ordinary life so consider a generator too.

You have a beautiful site!

• 2 years ago

Here's an article that might interest you. Radiant heat combined with mini-splits for AC. Minis are now available in a ducted version without the intrusive casettes. Also adding another idea for the kitchen; induction cooktop with a propane burner system for back up.

Induction Mixes with Gas Cooktop · More Info

• 2 years ago

I see Mt Hood in your second pic in first set you included with original post. What’s the elevation at your build level? I’m in SW WA too so your note on amount of rain & snow puzzles me - didn’t know rain so low at higher elevation. Snow, maybe - there’s a reason for those nearby ski resorts! Curious about proximity of neighbor’s planned build to yours - looks close from that red line….are you sure there’s not a chance of that new house blocking some of your view? I would absolutely build in everything I could to ensure self sufficiency in event of loss of power. Solar power, yes. Generator, yes & it would be the whole house type that powers up automatically when power goes out & runs the whole house. Generac is the brand I’ve heard of. You’ll be on a well - if you lose power, you lose water too - no pump.

• 2 years ago

Did you check to see if you need a water right permit from DOE?

• 2 years ago

Thank you all for the great feedback. I appreciate your advice. We have three children, and my in laws will move in with us when they advance in age. The downstairs will be a place for extra storage. 

We are in our late 30's so having the solar panels will definitely be worth it. We plan on having a green house and chickens. 

The property elevation is approximately 3,800 feet located on the outskirts of Goldendale, WA.

Yes, it is very windy on top of the hill with not many trees to protect us against the wind.

• 2 years ago

The lots are 5 acre lots, but long rectangles. 310 feet wide and about 668 feet long. We will center our home in between the 310 foot wide portion. We want to stay close to the road because of the higher elevation. The further we go down the view is not as nice, and then we go into the scrub oak. 

I have attached a rough draft idea of the "site plan." Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations are welcome. Thank you again for all your input.

• 2 years ago

Chickens too? I’m moving in until your in-laws kick me out. I’ll babysit and help with homework.

• 2 years ago

The greenhouse would be perfect for sharing a wall with the shed. You could have shared electric and plumbing, and wouldn't have as much heat loss on the north wall.

• 2 years ago

We live in northern Vermont so a bit more extreme on climate but not by much.

• Definitely go with radiant - I will never go back to any other type of heat. We supplement with a wood-burning stove when temps drop significantly. It's a great combination.
    • We also have solar power, and we live in one of the cloudiest states in the country. We do quite well in the summer, and it mostly offsets what we use in the winter.
    • We have a mini-split for AC, we use it about 2-3 weeks in the summer at most, but it makes a difference.
    • I had a six-burner Wolf range when we lived in NYC that I loved. Moved here, and we had electric which was horrible. I now have induction and will never, ever go back to anything else.
    • Consider a full house generator if you get big storms/etc. We have one, and it's another item I will never live without again.

Best of luck, looks like a great location for your forever house!

• 3 months ago

Checking in... how'd everything go with the build? I live in WA also... Western side. We're at the beginning phase of building a custom home on our property.