Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

My Spring "Break" . . . With a Broken Foot & Company!

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Talk about bad timing! A week before our favorite niece, her DH, and their two great kids (8 & 10 y/o) were due to fly in to spend their spring break with us, I break my right foot!

It's been going fairly ok, all things considered. Thank goodness I have a minivan that seats seven, though! These are wonderful, thoughtful people, but they're very outdoorsy and love to hike. Thank goodness my DH is retired, in good shape and also likes to hike!

So far we've taken them on a driving tour of Albuquerque, that first day after we picked them up at the ABQ airport..

Day #2 we dropped them off for a two-hour trail ride up in the Sandia Mountains, which ring the east side of ABQ. Then drove them up to the very top of the mountain, to The Crest. At 10,600+ feet above sea level, the view is breathtaking. I had to wait by the parking area, though. We then all drove north to the old mining town of Madrid (pronounced MAD-rid) for lunch at the picturesque, very cowboy-ish Mine Shaft Tavern. Madrid, BTW, is where the Tim Allen movie "Wild Hogs" was filmed. They loved it!

And then, we drove on to Santa Fe, where we let our daughter take them around the Plaza sightseeing and shopping. Oh, and to see the Miraculous Staircase inside the Loretto Chapel. By that time, I was really tired, and so DH and I headed to our beautiful historic La Fonda Hotel for a drink and to watch the tourists. Ahhh!

And then, later that evening, back down south to one of our very favorite restaurants in the northern part of ABQ that we take every out-of-state visitor to, El Pinto. Thank goodness that restaurant is used to tourists and serves non-New Mexican food, though! We, however, enjoyed enchiladas, chile rellenos, and tamales (LOL)!

By yesterday morning, though, my foot was ready for a break, and so DH took them on another (5 hour this time!) mountain hike. Since my poor foot was still demanding rest, we headed out to a great local brewery for dinner. Again, they ate chicken fingers and grilled cheese while we feasted on green chile cheeseburgers. That's ok, though, as not everyone enjoys our spicy food. They are loving the scenery and the hiking, though!

Today, they're off on another hike, this time in the beautiful Jemez (Hay-mez) Mountains to the west of us a bit, with DH and DD's boyfriend playing tour guides to a scenic waterfall and the famous Shiprock. Since my foot is feeling a bit better, I'll make a big pot of Chicken Tom Ka soup, along with a (pre-bagged) Asian salad, and some fun appetizers for our dinner this evening. And then this evening after dinner. as they fly home tomorrow afternoon, we'll have margaritas out around a cozy fire in our kiva fireplace out on the covered front portal.

Tomorrow, after we drop them off at the airport, I think we'll probably sleep for a week! But, it's been a fun (all things considered) spring break that I'll always remember. And, so will they!

Below is a pic of the Mine Shaft Tavern in Madrid.

Comments (40)

• 2 years ago

Sounds like you showed your guests a great time. Too bad they weren't more adventurous eaters.

LynnNM thanked Fun2BHere
  • 2 years ago

Aww, Lynn! I’m sorry about your foot! But it sounds like it’s been a wonderful visit anyway. You and DH are such wonderful hosts! I got tired (and hungry) just reading all that. :)

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading about and seeing your adventures.

Get some rest after tomorrow, you deserve it! ❤️

LynnNM thanked Jilly
  • 2 years ago

Goodness! What is it on this board with all the broken feet/ankles!? How did you break yours @LynnNM? Take it easy and take care of that foot. ❤️

LynnNM thanked Tina Marie
  • 2 years ago

Hope your foot feels better! Sounds like you provided a wonderful time for your niece and family! 😊

LynnNM thanked nini804
  • 2 years ago

Oh, dear! How did you break your foot? I broke mine in 3 places earlier this year when I stepped on a throw pillow my dog had appropriated from the living room. You are certainly more active than I was. I hated walking in the boot. I hope your foot heals quickly. What terrific hosts you and your family are! I hope you enjoyed visiting with your niece. You are a great ambassador for New Mexico. your pictures make me want to visit again.

LynnNM thanked Mimou-GW
  • 2 years ago

Oh no, hope that foot heels fast. Still a great hostess with a broken foot!

LynnNM thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 2 years ago

I broke my foot stepping on one of our smaller Middle Eastern throw rugs. We have all brick floors, throughout, so a LOT of rugs on them! Anyhoo, the rug twisted and so did my foot, but unfortunately, my leg stayed straight. I felt my fifth metatarsal actually snap. (it's the long bone in the foot that connects by a joint to the little toe). It's called a Jones Fracture, don't ask me why (LOL)! The sad thing is that just the day before, DH reminded me that we needed a stabilizing rug pad to go under that exact rug. I immediately ordered one via Amazon. The rug pad arrived the day after I got my cast on!

• 2 years ago

Oh no-- hope you heal well and quickly!

And what a feat (heh) to still excel with your hostess duties! I am sure your niece & family had a great trip!

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • 2 years ago

So sorry about your foot. You've been making the most out of a difficult situation. As for all the places you've taken your visitors, I'm saving this for a future trip to your area. Thanks.

LynnNM thanked Re Tired
  • 2 years ago

Ouch! I hope your foot heals quickly Lynn. It looks like a great trip for your niece and family. I love New Mexico-would love to move back.

LynnNM thanked texanjana
  • 2 years ago

Ouch Lynn! Broken foot and all you are still the hostess with the mostest!

LynnNM thanked DLM2000-GW
  • 2 years ago

You are an amazing host. Im glad you had someone to help out. I’m so sorry about your foot. That really was bad timing, but when is it ever a good time to break your foot?

P.S. I love your rug.

LynnNM thanked dedtired
  • 2 years ago

Oh, ouch ! Hope you heal fast! My foot fracture tale: I’ve had two metatarsal fractures, both spontaneous ( 10 years apart), and each time I was on vacation in a beautiful city where I’d walk all day- NYC, where I felt it snap as I climbed a flight of stairs on the High Line, and in Paris on a day I’d walked 8 miles through the city. I had supportive walking shoes on, too.
    Oh, and following Paris I flew on to Boston for my son’s wedding, and then on to Quebec City, Montréal and Toronto, wincing in pain throughout. No fair.

LynnNM thanked chinacatpeekin
  • 2 years ago

It sounds like a lovely time, in spite of the foot! I am sorry you were not out there hiking with them….. What happened to your foot?

LynnNM thanked Springroz
  • 2 years ago

AND I just remembered that I was in NYC that time with my DS to drop him off at his university in CT for his first day of freshman year. And somehow I did enjoy both these trips!

• 2 years ago

You’re a better hostess and tour guide with a broken foot that most people are at the top of their form, Lynn! Your friends are very lucky.

LynnNM thanked Kswl
  • 2 years ago

Oh, Lynn, I'm so sorry about your foot. I hope it heals quickly, and you're back at it soon.

My sister lives in SF, and I know every spot you referenced. NM is such a special place, and I'm glad you got to relish in your niece and family's enjoyment, even if from afar.

LynnNM thanked Feathers11
  • 2 years ago

Lynn, what lucky friends you have! I am so sorry about your foot. Kudos for soldiering on. Gorgeous pictures. I do love Santa Fe.

LynnNM thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 2 years ago

Glad you posted about how you’re doing. We had a post on the KT side but it looks like you’ve been busy with your guests. Lucky family to have you all as their hosts. And thanks for the photos. They remind me of my days traveling to Albuquerque and visiting those very sites when I could.

If you don‘t have one of these already, I highly recommend this ’elevator’ for your good foot. My friend and Pilates instructor broke her foot a few months ago while running, and her Ortho fitted her with one. It greatly improves your walking ability, giving you the correct height to match the boot height.

LynnNM thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 2 years ago

Outside, that is quite ingenious!

Lynn, I hope you heal quickly. Thanks for sharing the adventure!

LynnNM thanked pudgeder
  • 2 years ago

Hope your foot heals quickly.

Thank you for the travelogue...you reminded me of some of the places we went on our trip to NM...I think based on your recommendations!

Just be careful in the boot....I was walking in mine more than I should have and it bruised the ankle bone on the other side of the foot and triggered plantar fasciitis as the boot doesn't provide adequate arch support. Fortunately I was able to switch to a brace shortly thereafter and it was so much better for me.

LynnNM thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 2 years ago

My goodness! You certainly do need to rest! Take care of yourself.

LynnNM thanked eld6161
  • 2 years ago

Lynn - Sorry to hear about your break. Sounds you were an awesome host even with that setback. The pictures are lovely.

LynnNM thanked localeater
  • 2 years ago

So sorry to hear about your break, but that's a great story! Sounds like everyone had a nice time and stayed busy. Cannot beat NM for hiking and good food.

LynnNM thanked Allison0704
  • 2 years ago

Love the pics. Sending healing vibes your way. Put that foot up and rest!

LynnNM thanked deegw
  • 2 years ago

Hoping that your foot heals quickly. You and your DH put together a wonderful Spring Break. You must be exhausted.

Love your photos and descriptions, the Sante Fe area is just beautiful, look foward to visiting there at some point.

LynnNM thanked jill302
  • 2 years ago

Lynn, so sorry to hear about your foot! Santa Fe is NOT the place to have that happen, with all the wonderful things to do and see. At least, you get to eat LOL

DH and I have gone to SF many times now, thanks to you. DS went once with us and really liked it too. That time we stayed in a casita at the Inn on the Alameda-which was perfect for our dog, with the stucco, half walled-in patio area. I want to go back real soon.

LynnNM thanked OllieJane
  • 2 years ago

Thank you for all the good and healing wishes, they are much appreciated! If their flight back home to Michigan is on time, we’ll be heading out to the airport soon. when we get back home, I’m going to vegg out in my walled garden for the rest of the day. Maybe, the week!

OllieJane: let me know next time you‘re planning a trip to Santa Fe and let’s try to meet up! I’d love to meet up with many of my Houzz friends.

Annie: thanks, I have that very same opposite shoe lift, it’s called Evenup and it’s a godsend! If anyone ever needs one, I recommend checking on Amazon for one first. Mine cost me $40 at the surgeon’s office, but DH insisted I get one right away. They are a huge help, though!

• 2 years ago

I feel your pain literally. I had a similar foot fracture. I just stepped wrong on a one-step doorstep and the tendon jerked the bone and it cracked. This was 20 years ago and my cast was no where near as cool as yours. It was plaster and both hurt and itched. I really thought it was overkill and took it off early. My foot didn't move any more in the plastic and fabric one. I lived alone on the second floor of an apt. and had to drive to work. I could not find anyone to help me so had to call my 78 year old Mom to fly in and drive an hour from Philly to my place. She did OK and then ended up hitting a car pulling out of a space in the apt. parking lot. It was minor damage. After she left, I ended up having to hire a temporary assistant to help me do shopping and laundry. I ended up driving myself to work even though I had to use my cast foot on the gas and brake pedals. I also discovered that many of the handicap door openers on the campus where I worked were broken . . . I came to greatly appreciate being able bodied after that. We truly don't make it easy to navigate the world on foot, even for those with two functional ones, let alone any disability. We could do better so easily if we just put our minds to it.

So jealous of your warm weather and dining and hiking adventures. I haven't been out west since I was in my 20s. Never have both enough time and enough money. Bucket list!!

LynnNM thanked l pinkmountain
  • 2 years ago

Lynn, I'm so sorry about your foot !!! Thank you for all the beautiful photos - I enjoyed them very much. Hope your foot heals quickly. I've never been to your part of the country but can't wait to visit.

LynnNM thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • 2 years ago

Oh, so sorry you decided to take Spring Break so literally. Sounds like your visitors didn't suffer because of it and hope you aren't suffering too much either. Ouch!

LynnNM thanked Olychick
  • 2 years ago

Thank you! Our niece and family are now back in their Michigan home. After we got home from dropping them off at the airport, I spent the rest of today reading in my garden and napping. Ahhhh! Tomorrow, I’m doing that very same thing!

• 2 years ago

Sorry, Lynn, about the foot! But at least you got to spend some time with your niece.

LynnNM thanked gsciencechick
  • 2 years ago

Lynn, I would love that! I will let you know!

LynnNM thanked OllieJane
  • 2 years ago

Lynn, glad you finally got to rest and relax. It sounds like you were a wonderful host to your niece and family, despite your injury.

• 2 years ago

What a trooper! Hope you are getting to rest today. Your mention of the Mine Shaft Tavern brought back memories of a trip we had to NM. We had always taken the interstate from ABQ to Santa Fe. I decided I wanted to take the Turquoise Trail and stop at the Mine Shaft Tavern for lunch. DH’s sister and her husband were traveling with us. She was not at all adventuresome and when I told her we were going to a biker bar for lunch, she got really anxious. It was, of course, a perfectly nice place with perfectly nice people and if memory serves me correctly, they had pretty good burgers, too!

LynnNM thanked bbstx
  • 2 years ago

bbttx: did you know that the movie ”Wild Hogs” was filmed in and around Madrid? Great cast: Tim Allen, John Travolta, William H Macy, Ray Liotta, Marissa Tomei and Peter Fonda. We love taking visitors to Madrid.

• 2 years ago

Take care Lynn...enjoy your down time in your walled garden now that your time as hostess is done! So glad your DH, DD & her BF were able to serve as tour guides to help you out!! The places you/they went sound wonderful!

LynnNM thanked lizzie_grow
  • 2 years ago

Ouch! Hope you heal quickly Lynn.

LynnNM thanked maddielee
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz