Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blubird_gw

Which kitchen layout?

2 years ago

So several weeks ago I posted for help with a layout for son and DIL's kitchen. I cannot seem to add to that post, but we have had several potential layouts and want to get opinions and any insight from you wise kitchen people.

The goal is to increase useable counter space, preferably contiguous, increase storage and open up a little more of the wall between the kitchen and the adjacent dining room. Casual seating for at least 2 for breakfast and lunch would be nice. Kids are older teens.

First, here's the current kitchen with measurements as well as its position on the first floor. All utilities are moveable, no walls or window can move.

A neighbor has this which opens the wall between kitchen and dining, but we discarded this one for various reasons.

Mamagoose came up with this idea which excited us. The negatives with this layout is that there are no upper storage cabs close to the sink and DW. It does, however, provide a nice contiguous work area. An island, however small would be a plus for my DIL who has some mobility issues. If we move the fridge as I noted on the layout, the island wouldn’t be a barrier if there is an island. It also allows for a moderately wide opening to the DR. The windows and baseboard heat would need to be addressed in this layout.

This is what one designer came up with, a riff on Mamagoose's design, but she had no knowledge of mamagoose's at the time. Pushed a little further back into the bay, the countertop could be a little smaller. Again, no upper cabs near sink and DW, and the remaining uppers in the area are not very big. Those odd lower cabs really don’t appear to be useful where they are. Negatives here are that again the windows would need to be replaced in this design. Right now they are about 24” from the floor. They are old, so replacing them with shorter windows aren’t a tragedy. However, the hot water baseboard heaters below this window would need to be replaced with some sort of toe kick heater.

This is a design which I came up with. Again, the island is a barrier island to the fridge, but, as my DIL describes her work sequence, she takes stuff out of the fridge and sets it on the moveable island she has currently, washes her fruits and veggies to prep them, cleaning any meat products, then preps food for the week in advance. Having a prep sink in the island makes the work are close, an advantage for my DIL. Island appears it could be rather large and could accommodate 2 neat seats. Opening to DR could be about 40”. Negatives are that the cleanup sink is out of the work area, maybe that's a positive? Positives are that windows don’t need to be replaced and the baseboard heat isn’t touched during Reno.

This is a design another cabinet designer came up with, without knowing about my design above. I think that the two level island, or the size of the island in general is just too dominating in the room.

I welcome all or any comments or criticisms..I have big shoulders. My DIL is wanting to get this done quickly, but I’ve told her it's not a realistic goal, especially these days. I think it's better they get this right, or as close to right as possible rather than speed. And Imtold them some times you have to pick your poison.

Comments (7)

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like the last designers plan you show. Prefer the fridge on the top wall. Adjust what you put on pantrywall to 12 or 15 in depth. If you want a taller pull out pantry cab at full depth turn it sideways so it pulls out toward stair wall..that can be back up pantry storage or something that holds pegboard for broom etc..might be nice for her....Just 15 in wide ..then on the pantry side facing island the 12 or 15 in depth with or without counter for pantry storage probably not pull outs there due to the stools. the opening sizes to living room and dining room are 2 different sizes he gave you.If you dont want them both at 39 in or so..I'd make the living room passage the wider....are you coming and going so much from dining room.....if that were 39 inches youd get a bit more counter left of stove....I'd probably only place 15 in of counter on the right of stove......better w wider counter on left.. its hard to read everything on the yellowish paper... once you adjust the pantry set up I think the seating will be appreciated with this island ...do one height and less depth to island tho... , .the sink/stove / fridge would be more my lliking this way so look at how the pantry wall things can be adjusted and fine tune the island. Good Luck. Pics of something you can provide her that comes out onto stair side of end of pantry run....or just hinges open that way as shown....but the pull out thing can be narrower and deeper...

Storage Options · More Info

Handy.

Getting Organized with Fieldstone Cabinetry · More Info

Diamond Vibe: Utility Organizer Cabinet · More Info

Diamond Cabinetry · More Info

Pull-out Broom Storage in a Kitchen · More Info

blubird thanked herbflavor
  • 2 years ago

I like the mamagoose plan and your plan (with the prep sink in island)

If there is good storage planning, the upper cabinets likely won't be missed.

The last plan on graph paper will not work. 2 of the seats are sharing knee space and you wouldn't be able to walk around the window side! And no to the two-height counter -- you want to hide the countertop from who, the fridge? :)

Is it really important to have lots of seating right there? Given that mobility is a concern, you want to keep wide clear passages as needs can change over time.

blubird thanked rebasheba
  • 2 years ago

If DIL really needs an island, I'd prefer it parallel to the window, but I don't know how you'd fit two standard-depth runs of cabinets, plus an island with seating. In the following plan the range should fit (3' 5 3/4" on that wall) with the minimum landing space on the left side. The storage cabinets on the top wall are standard uppers, 12" deep. Island would be ap 35" deep, with 18" deep cabinets and legs to support the 15" overhang--this includes a 1" front overhang and a back cover panel. The corner base area is voided so the MW drawer will open past the fridge, but with an EZ-Reach corner upper you should be able to store some dishes there. Since you just need the trash pull-out somewhere under the prep counter, it could be switched with the drawers to the left, and dishes stored there, too. Island could shrink in width to two seater (minimum 48"), in favor of wider aisles, if future mobility might be an issue.

ETA, smaller island, wider aisles:

If you don't want to alter the bay windows, then I like the last designer plan you posted, too, but with a one-level counter and DW flipped to the right of the sink.

blubird thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 2 years ago

islands run both perpindicular or parallel w a bow window spot like that. the thing you'll probably have to drill down w the owners is how much storage on the pantry wall. be aware if you install drawers elsewhere the storage capacity increases so my tendency is to do shallow pantry and only whats needed. that gives the island the opportunity. these each have 3 stools on long side. the man gave you 2 also on the end.....maybe option of one w smaller overhang there or none on the end...not sure if a request was made.

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

Fresh Modern Colonial · More Info

blubird thanked herbflavor
  • 2 years ago

Not weird, probably the original intent with the original entry point from DR in the bottom right corner (see the OP).

blubird thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 2 years ago

Just some thoughts…and thank you all for your thoughtful replies. We had considered using the current L shape with moving the fridge to the left wall and adding in an island. This layout, however, doesn't allow for the expansion of the doorway into the dining room because of the location of the main stack. The only view into the dining room from the current kitchen is the window area of the dining room, which is why my son wants a more open view. This can only be accomplished by either taking down the whole wall, or by moving the L into the bay window area.

Pricing for the 2 layouts they had been considering, the original Mamagoose's and mine have been in the area of $40,000 for either custom or a frameless cab line with mods, through lots of visits to cab people and kitchen ’designers’. Lots of cab names thrown around, have been avoiding the cheap imports.

In addition to that, the floor must be replaced. As the previous owner installed ceramic marbleized tile, but instead of some sort of bullnose or transition to the wood floors, they used a real piece of marble cap which was very thick. As a result, the tiles are sitting on top of a 2+” layer of what appears to be cement, which mustbe jackhammered up as there are toe stubbing areas where tile meets wood, So this is a $10k+ job.

Then, my DIL who is very hard on her appliances, wants to replace her 6 year old DW, range and fridge during this reno. Counter depth fridge is definitely needed to improve the layout, but DIL wants a 36” range, which makes Mamagoose's newest layout not doable. If the windows and toekick heater are added to this job, we're talking close to $100,000. While housing prices here in NJ are through the roof, I don't think the house, which is the smallest model in their neighborhhood, supports that kind of money,

We're trying to find the right balance of money well spent for a useful layout.