Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_533733750

Master bedroom and master bath

last year

We are adding about 30x30 addition for my mother to live with us. She wants her living area to be a little bigger than her bedroom. We need a disability type bathroom for her (wheel chair accessable) later this area will be our master suite. We're only have one way too make this work from our bedroom to the new addition. I cannot figure out how to make the 30x30 work without being 10x20 in each. The large bedroom is how we would like it eventually. The window that's circled will be enlarged to a double door to the addition. The white bedroom to living space is what she wants. We will add a 30x24 garage into the addition with a mud/entry room from the garage that will be roughly 10x30. Measurements for width can be changed.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    last year

Invest in a local architect that will design an addition with you that meets your family's needs (now and in the future) and fits the site. Existing conditions will greatly influence the design and that critical information is impossible to communicate over the internet.

• last year

Does the space have to be 30x30? Often, longer and narrower will provide a more functional space. I can't make heads or tails of the drawing and pics you posted. I agree with Mark that a local architect could better advise you based on the existing structure, elevations as a whole, and site information.

• last year

Thank you. I've contacted someone. Hopefully they'll be able to help me.

• PRO
    last year

Make sure they know barrier free design, have residential additions experience, and are licensed.

• last year

He works with the best contractors locally.  I've seen some houses he's designed and some the contractor's have built on his designs. They flow very well and are very nice additions to existing homes. He's very busy but will help us.  We close on our loan Aug 8th. So we need to know if we'll need more funds in the next couple weeks. Stressing...

• PRO
    last year

But does he know barrier free design and is he licensed. The more competent he is, the less stress you should have.

• last year

Is the green house your house, or is that the addition? What's the cedar building? Is that your current floor plan or is that what you want to do for your mom? It's really not clear what is what!

• last year

Softener he's so busy with selling his friend's estate he can't come out here. He wants to do everything with photos of interior and exterior of the existing cabin (green) I'm very disappointed and afraid.

• last year

Apparently, not softener..

• last year

Sorry folks and thank you for trying to help. I'll just work with the contractor since this guy doesn't have time for me. This stinks.

• PRO
    last year

Continue looking for a local architect to help design the addition. Keep enlarging your search area until you find a good fit.

• last year

You have another option for ideas, and a good contractor can help get you to the finish line. https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/400-square-foot-one-bedroom-cottage-560009tcd

Set the filter for 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, 1 floor, and scroll through the ideas. I bet you find one you like.

If I were Mom, I wouldn't like my bed out in the open where friends might drop by, but I would like a bistro table and chairs in my room if I were bedridden. And a nice view would be nice, but not too open, because I get afraid of the dark as I age. 

If I were Mom, I would want my bed so far from the toilet.

If I were you, I'd want a small kitchenette to heat and refrigerate leftovers. A small laundry closet might come in handy.

Look at the designs and see what could work and what you like. Then, see what your contractor thinks. See what Mom thinks. Run it past us if you want. 

Tell us more about Mom's condition and long term plans.

• last year

Sorry... wouldn't... want my bed so far from the toilet. And you might want a wet room bathroom. Go to a local nursing home and ask to see one in their skilled nursing section. 

And, depending on Mom... might want an outdoor space, somewhere to sit and have some fresh air. Sometimes shade will be nice, but other times some sun would be good for Mom. If I were Mom, fresh air would be important.