Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_os

wallpaper removal help!

last year

What am I doing wrong here? It’s coming off in two layers. Sometimes it’s easy to peel, sometimes it’s not. No rhyme or reason. I’ve saturated the wall with warm water, I’m using a steamer and a scraper.
I’ve removed a lot of wallpaper before but usually there’s a layer of paint underneath and it’s pretty smooth. Seems like this is stuck directly to the drywall.
Any advice?

Comments (10)

• last year

Here’s a close up pic and also view from further away. TIA for any advice!

• last year

Its apparently a vinyl wallpaper, and yes, it comes off in two layers. The top layer and then the backing paper. Backing paper will usually come off easily, after top layer is off, if you spray it good and let it absorb in to soften the glue.

• last year

It also appears the wall may not have been primed or sized underneath so you are pulling off the paper on the drywall in some areas.

• last year

Agree with above. You will need to skim coat your drywall when you’re finished since the paper on the drywall is gone. We have used 1/4” drywall over the damaged drywall in some cases when this happens. Sadly, this is why my husband vetoes my wallpaper suggestions.

• last year

I don't know how old your house is, but it was common to have all wallpapered walls. They were not painted before they where wallpapered. We owned a rental property that when we removed the wallpaper it was raw plaster.

• last year

House was built in the 70s. I’ve already removed the wallpaper from the hallway, living room, kitchen, dining room, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and all hallways. There was even wallpaper on the ceiling in 2 rooms. Some of the rooms were easier than others, but I hadn’t encountered this level of damage to the underlying drywall before.
    Thanks all, for your comments. Sounds like there’s nothing I can do, just have to skim coat and sand before painting. Which I expected to have to do anyway. Just surprised by how much damage there is to the drywall.
    Good news is that after this room there’s just the half bath and laundry room left. Wish me luck! :)

• last year

Ugh, I went through this and had to learn to skim coat a wall. (Which was messy as heck but not that hard — I watched YouTube videos.) You will need to seal the wall before you skim coat— I don’t remember the exact product but there is a special Killz.

• last year

That is why, although pretty, I will never have wallpaper in my house. I've removed too much of it in the past to ever want to do it again.

• PRO
    last year

Try wiping DIF on the wall, let it soak in, then scrape off the wallpaper. Always works great for me.

• last year

@beeboo22 thanks for your comment about sealing the drywall first. I hadn’t thought of that. A quick google search revealed that “The primer will seal the exposed surface and ensure the skim coat adheres properly and that the drywall paper doesn’t bubble.” I had that problem with other walls when skim coating, so I’m glad to find there’s a preventive measure. Thank you!