Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_vickers4273

master closet design dilemma

4 months ago

This is our master closet. The pocket door on the left goes to our laundry and the one on the right is the master bedroom. Needing help with this closet layout to maximize the space. We are just doing open shelving. TIA.

Comments (9)

• 4 months ago

Is the closet existing currently? What are your going to do about the window as they typically are not good for a closet? Is this drawing to scale and if so what is the scale? What size are the pocket doors? How tall is the ceiling?

• PRO
    4 months ago

It was an office and we will be using it as a master closet- the other was in the bedroom and really small. We will do a shade over the window and probably a small vanity in front. 8 ft ceilings. 3 ft doors.

• PRO
    4 months ago

What do you mean just open shelving? You need hanging space for sure even if just for shirts and pants/ skirts. The best closet design is one where you sit down and figure out how many inches of hanging space you need both double and single for dresses, coats etc. I love my window in my walkin closet BTW. Do you have any things you collect , like I have shoes and need tons of space for them. I have a 6 drawwr desser under my window theat holds , socks, underwera and workout stuff. I have now 60 prs of shoes I sent 50 prs to good will.I have open shelving but it mostly holds bedding and piloows for my bed. I have some fabric boxes on some upper shelves above hanging space those boxes hold purses, jewelery boxes, swin suits and odds and ends. You see what I mean it takes some time to figure out. I hada spare bedroom in one of our homes I used for a dressing room/ closet I loved it but what I ddi there was use racks that were easy to remove when we sold to give back the bedroom I had back to long 9 drawer dressers in the middle those held a ton of stuff.

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I would use the ELFA system from The Container Store. Can be customized and adjusted if your needs change. You can mix hanging bars (single, double and long), shelves, drawers and shoe storage. I have used them in several houses and been very happy with the quality and durability.

My closet is a bit messy right now, but I found this photo online that shows you many of the options. This is the version with the wood edging. I used that in my previous house, but didn't bother spending extra for that in my current house and used their basic version. My closet is a utilitarian and hard working space that doesn't need to be "pretty" for instagram or strangers! It just needs to have a space for everything to be organized!

• PRO
    4 months ago

IMO that closet you show would be ahorrible to try to get dressed but it does show the ELFA system for sure .

• 4 months ago

I don't see anything wrong with that closet! I also don't think that everyone gets dressed inside their closet ... pull the clothes you need and get dressed in the big bedroom space!

Not everyone is lucky to have a huge closet space and this one looks like a master closet shared by husband and wife. It looks like they maximized the space that they have available for storing their clothes/shoes/etc.

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I like to hang all of my clothing - even pajamas are hanging in my closet. Only exceptions are socks, underwear, bras, swimsuits and shorts. I also don't dry my clothing all the way in the dryer and hang everything to dry before it goes into my closet. I don't want to wash, partially dry, hang and then take things back off the hangers and fold.

My sister hangs almost nothing in her closet - She hangs coats and jackets in the hall closet and has 3 or 4 dresses hanging in a far, back corner of her bedroom closet. Big Kon Mari Method fan.

My other sister has 1/2 drawers and 1/2 hanging. She hangs most shirts, folds most pants.

Which is the right answer?

• 4 months ago

Even if you don’t plan to use a full closet system, you could play with the ikea closet builder or another site to start to get a visual sense of how utilize the space. Closet organization is very person specific, so knowing your preferences for how to store things, how to much you have of different items, how the space will be divided (it sounds like 2 people may be using it - is it equal division and needs or different?), etc. is a great place to start.

• PRO
    4 months ago

Without knowing your specific needs (and none of us do), I would put hanging clothes along the bottom, a combination of double rods and single rod for long items. If this isn't enough, then more hanging space along the 4'-10" dimension. Then open shelves along both walls in the upper left corner and continuing under the window.

Having said that, a closet designer hired on a consultant basis would be a wise investment.