Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dc2va

"Adjustable bulbs" for a double height entry way?

3 months ago

Does anyone have experience with a double height entryway? We are installing a new chandelier and changing up the lighting. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to change the bulbs in the new chandelier. In order to change them, you need to partially disassemble the chandelier while it is installed 20 feet up, so I need something very long lasting.

I am weighing between 2700k and 3000k for the bulb, the chandelier has frosted glass beads, which are unique compared to the rest of the light fixtures in the house. As a result, I'm debating adjustable bulbs that could be controlled by my phone so that if I'm unhappy with the color of light we can adjust it.

Is this a bad idea? Anyone have experience with adjustable bulbs and want to warn me off? We don't have an Alex or Google home or anything like this so voice control is irrelevant.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    3 months ago

I think we need context for sure . Yes there are bulbs that change color pretty sure that is not exactly what you want . Usually the other fixtures thta all a change form 2500 -5000K are integreated fixtures where no buls can be changed , when it dies you get a new one. I need pics of the fixture and the space to really help. I would not buy a fixture where the bulbs are buried inside and require the fixture to be dismanteled. To much risk for both you and the fixture. As for the temp of the bulbs that is a personal choice but I usually prefer 4000K and maybe 3500K but nothing lower .

dc2va thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 3 months ago

Put in a chandelier hoist, change the bulbs at ground level.

https://www.affordablelamps.com/ala-all200.html

dc2va thanked HU-867564120
  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Thanks! Here are some additional photos and context. The other lights in the upper hallway are all different colors. previous owners did that, we intend on fixing it. We like the light in one of them, but need to figure out what it is, I just need to convince my husband to get on a ladder and unscrew the bulb to find out (I'm heavily pregnant, and cannot.)

Naively, I did not realize how difficult it would be to change the bulbs and now it is too late to return it. Here is the fixture: https://crystoramalightinglights.com/product/lighting/ceiling-lights/chandeliers/crystorama-rylee-chandeliers-609-mk/1688244.html

• PRO
    3 months ago

The chandelier hoist is an awesome idea but can you not just reach in betweent the beads to get to the bulb The hoist however will be ahuge deal to install . I think use that light somewhere else and get an integrated fixture and a lot more of the light to actully light the space which IMO does not happen with that fixture . Put that one in the bedroom where it can be quite pretty and usually a much lower ceiling

• 3 months ago

I switched to Hue Bulbs for some of my fixtures almost 12 years ago. I changed a couple once only because a new version that could better display green came out. All the rest are going strong. Changing them out is the last thing you have to worry about. The quality of the light is great. If you get the color changing ones you can design your own white with just the slightest color undertone. Designer Jan Moyer doesn't know she didn't need to hoard hundreds of pink incandescent bulbs.

• 3 months ago

The light should be hung proportionate to the space, not for ease of changing 'bulbs' or dusting, so whatever height it sits at is what it is. Then invest in a tall enough ladder able to reach, just a given when you have 2 story ceilings and don't want to call an electrician to change a light 'bulb'.

It appears you can just slip between the beads to get at the 'bulbs'. They are E12 candelabra, and in my experience those LEDs may not last as long as they can't dissipate heat as easily at that smaller base size. So don't count on each LED lasting 10 years.

Also, be aware that when you buy a color selectable 'bulb' (Kelvin), it is also color changing (RGB). The plastic housing will probably be very prominent, and the cover will be frosted:

This is contrary to a "filament" look and clear glass cover of 'bulb,' which you might desire for a beaded, see-through fixture.

One trick that I do, is I cut one end of a cheap extension cord off, and will temporarly connect it to a light and plug it in if I want to see how it exactly lights the space. I can then hold the light up or whatever, here prop it up as high as you can on a table to see how the colors bouncing off the beads fit in the Foyer.

dc2va thanked 3onthetree
  • 3 months ago

So, Hue LED E12 bulbs can be purchased with white Kelvin only adjustable light in white or black base (I love the RGB too though). You can also get clear exposed filament adjustable Hue bulbs in white or black. I would fully expect you to never have to replace these lights especially at $45 a piece. Technology marches on, information from even 5 months ago is likely outdated.

• 3 months ago

I looked at the installation sheet and you don't have to dismantle anything to get the bulbs out. Just reach in between the beads and remove/install the light bulb. I have 2 chandelier with this style, which I put together myself and nothing needs to be taken apart to change a bulb.

Now, don't get me started on the outdoor sconces I bought, those are a pain!

From your photos, I would say that a 24" diameter chandelier might be a bit too small for the space ...

• 3 months ago

I just assembled this one and hung it in a spare closet so I could work on it. To change the bulbs you just reach in through the chain/beads.

• 3 months ago

Personally, I would not select a the Phillips Hue lightbulb given the cost and the lower CRI.

Some people are less exacting in their light bulb standards. My hobbies all include working with color and I am really in tune with minor color changes.

I tested multiple light bulbs before deciding on the brand that I would use because each brand has slightly different colors. 5000k GE may not be the same as 5000k Feit or a 5000k Cree bulb. They are not exact measurements 5000k could be 4500k or 5499k.

CRI - Color Rendering Index is the measurement of closely the light mimics natural daylight/full spectrum light in rendering colors.

Easier to share a link then explain:

https://www.flexfireleds.com/color-rendering-index-cri-and-led-lighting-what-is-cri/#:~:text=Color%20Rendering%20Index%20(CRI)%20is,they%20would%20under%20natural%20sunlight.

It has been a few years since I purchased lightbulbs for my entire home + a few extras.

At that time Cree and Feit were the brands that I landed on. Both had CRI's over 90, were both very similar in color and measured very close to a true 5000k. I bought some of each and after 6 years I have had no problems with the Cree brand, but have had to replace several of the Feit brand - didn't burn out, but became noticeably dimmer. I switched out the middle one below a couple of months ago and now the other two need swapped out.

• 3 months ago

Thanks for all of the tips and advice! Our entryway is extremely tall but otherwise much more compact than the images reflect. Every chandelier size estimator/calculator I have tried puts the recommended chandelier size at 17-23". I decided to buy a one Philips adjustable bulb and play with it to see if I find the app or bulb glitchy or troublesome. The plan is to mostly use it for variations of white light, but my husband also thought our daughter might enjoy if we used some of the other colors every now and then for fun to celebrate special occasions, and normally I find colored lights tacky, but I'm pregnant and sentimental now so why not haha

Re: the bulbs/beads on the chandelier, it's difficult to tell in the photos but the strands of glass beads are extremely tight and extremely difficult to move at all once installed. There definitely does not seem to be enough room to slip in and install the bulbs once all strands are attached but we're not done yet so maybe I'll be surprised!

• 3 months ago

The color adjusting is fun for adults too for holiday parties. Try it, you'll like it.

• 3 months ago

Oh, absolutely, I don't know where my dislike for colored lights came from but I know it will be a hit with everyone else!