Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_diatto69

Window leak, musty smell?

12 days ago

We purchased this house last Summer. When we moved in, we noticed black mold behind the wallpaper that we ended up ripping out. We tore out the drywall under and around the window, and thought we had fixed our issues, patched it up and went on our way. Well, here we are this spring and I noticed a musty smell every time I walked into this room from outside. I pinpointed it to it coming from below the window trim so I removed it and noticed mold right in the middle where the two windows meet. I cleaned it and decided to open the rest of the wall below to see if there was mold or moisture there. No evidence of moisture however the smell is quite strong. I believe the majority of the water rests between the window and the support wood it’s resting on. I also noticed that the left pane window, the paint is cracking. Is this also caused from moisture? We had just sanded and repainted these windows over the winter

My question is, is this an outside caulking issue? Or is this an old window needs to be replaced issue?

Comments (20)

• 12 days ago

Outside of the window

• 12 days ago

" I also noticed that the left pane window, the paint is cracking. Is this also caused from moisture? "

Certainly can be and in this case most likely is.

" My question is, is this an outside caulking issue? "

Caulking is a last line of defense not primary and I doubt is the issue. 99% of the time it is an outside issue. My bet would be the head flashing/drip cap area. Can you get better pictures of the window head?

• 12 days ago

Not sure exactly where you’re specifically asking but I tried

• 12 days ago

Top of window

• 12 days ago

Got a latter out and was able to get these shots

• 12 days ago

Same are two different shots

• 12 days ago

You can see here we added in more mortar last summer when we moved in right under the overhang of the brick and even along side the brickwork to the left of the window

• 12 days ago

Left side, top of window. Window in question is facing right below this brick with the door just beyond it

• 12 days ago

I pointed to where the window is

• 12 days ago

Ladder* not latter 🤦‍♀️

• 12 days ago

Top of window

• 12 days ago

More shots of the top. I have a feeling it’s how the top of the window looks weird. I’ll attach a photo of another window and I realized it’s not like this one. It’s much cleaner.

• 12 days ago

This is another window. Different shape (slimmer) but it’s the same overall (model and make and time of install) and the top looks nice and clean

• 12 days ago

I need to look at these a little better later on but going forward, do not EVER put mortal up against the window like that. Does nothing but help rot the window. That needs to be caul with backer rod behind it.

• 12 days ago

Yeah I told my husband and he said that was from before us so looks like we got some work to do

• 12 days ago

This wall had extensive water damage prior to us moving in. Sigh. What a headache it’s been. But hoping we’re getting closer to getting it figured out. Thank you for your help. It’s much appreciated

• PRO
    12 days ago

All kinds of sources of moisture out there. Least of which (assuming it's intact and sealed to the brick) is the window. The siding and brick ledge above the window is more likely the source in my remote observation and having pulled these walls apart before.

• PRO
    12 days ago

I agree with WoW. That protruding brick ledge with the siding set on top of it is where I would be inspecting. Those brick ledges often flatten out or worse, develop a cant towards the siding.

• PRO
    12 days ago

Maybe you can try Behr waterproofer, water-based, to seal bricks above the windows from HD. It works perfect for sealing masonry. Give a try to save your headache.

• 12 days ago

Thank you!