Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dharmesh_barot84

Master Bath Design Update Options

10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago

Hi,

We’d like to do some updates to our master bath without spending a ton to give it a refresh.

Goal is to make it attractive to buyers while leaving some room for them to add their touch.

I’ve attached a couple of photos of their current look.

Things we want to avoid, if possible

- Replace vanity (cabinets and countertop)

- Retile shower

- Remove jacuzzi

- Replace carpet (just put in a new one)

Budget $3000-5000 in the midwest

Please share what options we have and if you can add some reference pictures it would be helpful.

Best,

Dharmesh

Comments (15)

• 10 days ago

if it were mine and for resale, I would remove/replace the hollywood makeup light fixtures, paint out the room to match the cabinets, and buy an inexpensive large canvas print with some pink/red in it to compliment the tub. Clean it to spotless! greatbigcanvas.com

• 10 days ago

If that’s carpet I see, that is quite an ick factor for many people. You can remove it, but then you’d have to do flooring. New buyers might want to change the layout. So…. Perhaps save your $3-5k (that won’t really help a whole lot) and just keep it clean, and price your home accordingly. Maybe even offer a $3-5k bathroom remodel credit. I recently bought a home and looked at dozens with different update needs. Your bathroom would not scare me. If the rest of your home is clean and neat like the bathroom, you’ll find a buyer. Good luck!

• 10 days ago

I agree with others. Focus your efforts on it being spotless. The remodel credit is a good idea - allowing the new owners to redo to their tastes.

• 10 days ago

If selling, please consult your local real estate agent who knows your neighborhood standard, sales comps, and market; we Houzzers don’t have that essential info

• 10 days ago

Appreciate everyone’s feedback!

Yes, leaving it as-is is an option. We've considered giving a credit, but the buyers tht have come through seem to like move-in ready.

Overall, our house is clean and has open layout, which most have liked it.

We’re looking for ways to push the interested ones into making an offer.

Our agent has been helping. For now, they advised to work with the price to entice more buyers to make an offer.

• 10 days ago

This bathroom is not going to appeal to people who don't want to remodel with only minor changes. There is a buyer for every house at the right price. Price accordingly and you may have to hang in there a while until the right buyer comes along. Some people do want to remodel so they get exactly what they want.

• 10 days ago

Good luck with your cost estimate. We recently finished a very similar project and it cost over $40k here in PA. All done by a contractor, (after we received estimates from others) and they did a superb job. We didn’t choose super high end finishes and didn’t put a bathtub back in the space.

• 10 days ago

As a buyer, I would expect more than 3 - 5K to address the bathroom. what are similar homes with similar features selling for in you area? The carpet is an unfortunate feature and will require more incentive to take that on, providing someone likes the red tub.

• 10 days ago

Appreciate everyone‘s inputs! Our first preference is going to be reducing the price and selling as-is since overall feedback has been positive.

• 10 days ago

Hi Dharmesh - price is very important, of course. But you can also offer other options to potential buyers that don’t involve just lowering the price. Hopefully your agent has discussed some with you - they vary from state to state - (free Leaseback, longer or shorter closing, etc). And while $5k won’t cover a bath remodel, that incentive along with great pricing and other incentives could be enough. I have seen enough houses with quick remodels done to facilitate a sale. Inevitably, they don’t seem to fit the home and material quality and workmanship can be lacking. That’s why I don’t care for updates. Good pricing + other incentives = sale.

• 10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Yes, all the comments here confirmed our feeling that half-hearted updates could makenit worse. It’d be better to do a proper remodel or sell as-is with some creative deal structure.

It’s been tricky to find the right price. Competitive houses are either older, little bigger, and updated, or newer and bigger.

We reduced our listing price by 10k and are getting at least more interest. We may have to go lower to encourage offers. We feel we’re close.

This week we’ll have to decide either to delist and update or reduce the price. We’re leaning to the latter.

• PRO
    8 days ago

I don't care if the carpet is new. That's a serious big $$$ deduction to have to deal with that. The thought of carpet in a bath just screams gross and icky. You can't get away from anyone thinking that, and it's a sale killer. Up your budget and at least have the floors tiled with something white and inoffensive. Then get rid of the hollywood lights.

• 8 days ago

Appreciate everyone taking a few minutes out to comment! It helped to clarify our thinking.

I can’t close the commenting and I will not be following this thread since the purpose is met.

Best!