Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolina_montoni

Need advice how to hang curtain with window frame.

10 years ago
My bedroom has these two tall windows with frames around the windows. I want to hang some light curtains but I am not sure how tall should I place the rods. I wanted to place it close to the ceiling, but I like the molding on the top of the frame and so I thought about placing the rod just in the middle of the frame so the molding top will show. Is it a good plan, or it will look weird? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments (16)

• 10 years ago
    You could also do Roman blinds hung inside the frames.
  • 10 years ago
    I found inspiration photos from a home that does this both ways...
    My Houzz: Bold Wallpaper Kicks Up a Century-Old Craftsman · More Info

My Houzz: Bold Wallpaper Kicks Up a Century-Old Craftsman · More Info

I think in your case I'd lean towards doing it in the middle of the top molding because you don't have a lot of space between the top of the frame and the crown molding.

I'd hate to cover up those pretty moldings too.
    Carolina Montoni thanked Rachel H
  • 10 years ago
    Or roller shades! Hand stenciled. Or cloth..
    Carolina Montoni thanked lucidos
  • 10 years ago
    On, lucidos - you always have such pearls of knowledge to share (and great photos)!

Those windows, to my eye, are feature elements of the room. I'd most certainly opt for inset shades to let them shine!

Historic Victorian Bedroom · More Info
    Carolina Montoni thanked Manon Floreat
  • 10 years ago
    Loiruca, I see that you have top-down/bottom-up Duette shades, and these windows come down pretty low. Does that mean that you need/want privacy from the lower part of the windows while retaining the view through the upper part of the window? There doesn't appear to be a lot of space between the edge of the bed and the window, so I'm guessing that the room is not large. For these reasons, I agree that something hung inside the opening will work best because it will not take up more space than necessary. Roman shades would be an excellent choice and it is available TD/BU too. I would deepen the wall color and choose a lighter color for the shades. The contrast will make the windows pop. The bedding can have pattern that pulls the colors out of the wall and shade colors.
    Carolina Montoni thanked chunwong
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you Manon. I just have a passion for these older homes :) And..."night air". That sprang from the days of Cholera it was believed that not sleeping with a window open prevented you catching it. Did you know in the 1800's into the 1940's it was common to hang heavy drapery between rooms? But I digress those were the days of the tub in the kitchen for Saturday baths (washing in the same water for the cleanest to the dirtiest members of the household) and the "keeping room".
  • 10 years ago
    Loiruca, If you decide that you really want curtains, then I would hang floor length drapes from decorative rods hung just below the crown moulding. They should be at least as wide as the widest part of the moulding. Hanging it at this height will accentuate the height of the room. Hanging them wider will allow you to stack the fabric off the glass more and get more view.
    Carolina Montoni thanked chunwong
  • 10 years ago
    Ah, lucidos - that would be a good portion of the Victorian era? They had all sorts of funny ideas then. But I do have a soft spot for those thick velvet draperies dividing rooms. So luxe! Thanks for the history trip. Now I wonder off to dream about a classic Victorian with velvet draperies - sans tub in the kitchen. lol!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would prefer seeing that beautiful molding also. I would place the rod just below the wide header molding. It wouldn't be weird for me. I think it adds an architectural interest with difference from everyone else. I like difference and unique : )
    Carolina Montoni thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I prefer softness, so I would add fabric in sheers or soft fabrics in your room. Shades are more rigid. It depends the type of 'feeling' you want for the room.
    Carolina Montoni thanked LB Interiors
  • 10 years ago
    I'm supposed to be on my way to dreaming about velvet curtains and Victorian houses, LB , but I saw your comment about softness. Seems a natural fit for a bedroom. How would you feel about a modified balloon shade? Might it be an interesting juxtaposition with the mid-century chair?
  • 10 years ago
    Dreamy white sheers blowing in the night air?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Manon, I'm sorry I overlooked your comment. Yes, a different take on balloons is softening too and it would be nice to accent with that flavor for the room also.
  • 4 years ago

What was the final outcome of the window treatment? I loved the advice and photos shared truly enjoyed everyones feedback.

• 2 years ago

I am new to this--thank you all for the comments! Can you explain this suggestion: "I would prefer seeing that beautiful molding also. I would place the rod just below the wide header molding." Is the header molding the window frame? So the rod would actually be below the top of the frame so it shows? Thank you!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm