Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisstbg

Builders edge exterior shutters

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I will be adding new vinyl siding to my home in a couple months. The siding will be Colonial white and the shutters will be the color clay. i haven seen any pictures with that color clay (taupe) on white. The name of the color is clay which throws me because i automatic think terra cotta. Would love pics if you have any.

Comments (20)

• 2 months ago

Why are you adding shutters? You don't have the space for properly sized shutters.

Post a picture of the Colonial White and the Clay

chrisstbg thanked jck910
  • 2 months ago

I agree with jck. Properly sized shutters (each one being half a window’s width) will be too tight. Yes, we need to see your color choices. Clay makes me think more beige/gray than terra cotta.

chrisstbg thanked chloebud
  • 2 months ago

Another no shutters vote.

chrisstbg thanked HU-787167202
  • 2 months ago

And another ... no shutters.

• 2 months ago

I figured most comments would be against the shutters. I’m hoping the lighter color will help it not look so crowded. the new trim will be 3” less wide to accomodate the shutters. i will have 8” in between once the’re hung. Heres a picture of color clay.

• 2 months ago

No vinyl shutters attached to the house. If you can't do the real thing, then don't do them at all. It will cheapen the look of you lovely Colonial. Let it look like this one:

With the money you save not adding faux shutters, consider a portico.

• 2 months ago

Trust me i do agree that an all white house is beautiful however my husband hates the idea of only white so i comprimised on the shutters because i know i can remove them and still have my white house

• 2 months ago

i think the trim should stay as wide as it is, not narrower. Would you and husband be happy with a subtle contrasting trim paint? Vote no shutters.

• 2 months ago

I dont want the contrasting trim because i want the option to remove the shutters and have all white. I wish i could see how it look with an app online but i haven’t found anything decent.

• 2 months ago

I would use painters, tape, and outline the shutters and then look at what you think about it from that point of view. I know you said that you want to be able to take the shutters off, but you will have color changes because of different sun exposures underneath.

chrisstbg thanked J Mig
  • 2 months ago

Show your husband the white house pictured above. I agree with everyone -- no shutters. They simply do not belong on your house and will not look right. A nice portico and an expanded front porch would be more useful and attractive. And then brighten up the front yard with new or additional landscaping -- flowering shrubs, small flowering trees, a walkway and lighting as you approach the front door -- that sort of thing. A landscape architect could give you a great plan that you could work on as time and money permit. Your house will be the envy of the neighborhood!

• 2 months ago

He does not want a white house with no shutters. Is there another color house that he would like without shutters? Perhaps therein lies the compromise.

Also, at what point are you planning on taking off the shutters you are purchasing in order to "compromise"? When he goes on vacation? Years down the line? There will be sun marks and you will have to keep them up.

Back to the drawing board you two. You can do it!

• PRO
    2 months ago

The shutter size has nothing to do with the trim. Shutter size is the height of the window and half the width. Shutters are hung on hinges at the edge of the window opening, covering the trim (ergo why the trim width doesn’t matter).

Does anybody like that taupe shutter color? It just looks like a bandaid… I LOVE shutters but that color looks so blah. They aren’t free so they might as well be pretty. Full disclosure I’m in the south where black and Charleston green are the predominant shutter colors.

• 2 months ago

i wish the color was lighter actually. i want the pop of color and contrast to be on my doors. Im also adding dark bronze gutters which I will like either with or without shutters. Hopefully the next project will be the front step with colums ans portico.

• 2 months ago

Agree with just finding a color both you and DH love and going with that - there are so many options.. sage green, crisp grey, classic blue etc..

(also just a vote to have the gutters blend since they aren’t an architectural feature)

• PRO
    2 months ago

You want your door to be a feature on your all White House so you are putting in dark gutters and downspouts?

• 2 months ago

I too vote against contrasting gutters and downspouts. Hallett nailed it with the band aide reference. Also, where will the lights live once you hang shutters?

I feel like you are too close to your home to realize how beautiful it is. You don't need shutters and colored gutters to add interest to it. A body color that you both love with a trim color you both love is all you need.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I think the front of your house is nice with no shuttrs which IMO will make it look too busy. But you do need some sort of cover over thedoor to keep the rain off guests. So maybe check out the iron anf glass ones for a bit of interest guteers are not meant to be a decor item and IMO black trim on the windows and a black door are all you need Then landscaping that is where you bring this home to life .

• 2 months ago

I actually like the current colors of your house. Very colonial. No shutters.

• 2 months ago

Why are you putting vinyl siding on? That is one way to devalue your house. Just repair and paint.