Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

Would you go for a striped wall?

9 years ago
Feature walls are big news, but what if you want to jazz up your room even further? Striped walls might be the way to go!

Is this a look you would go for? Do you have striped walls in your home? If so, I'd love to see some snaps!

Kennington Water Tower · More Info

Comments (57)

• 9 years ago
    I love striped walls , to be honest, I think my husband may throw me out if I put any more stripes in the house! The good thing is that once you get tired of them or want to just freshen up, you can paint over and start anew. Our home is a tiny 1500 sq ft ranch, no open floor plan, so instead of moving furniture, which is next to impossible,I tend to change up the painting scheme- the bathroom walls in the last photo are next- no stripes this time - I promised!
  • 9 years ago
    if in person it seems too much, sorry if that is too much opinion, but how about getting rid of the stripes at the top: the T ? The lower part of wall would still blend with headboard fine, but I don't know.......
  • 9 years ago
    Striped walls can look incredibly chic, they shouldn't be relegated just to kids rooms! See my Pinterest account, Sue Roseman, for a whole series of photos of striped walls...
  • 9 years ago
    I am a big fan of stripes. I have been working on my house for 8 years now and wanted to create a big entrance for my hallway so put up black and white striped wallpaper on both sides of the wall to make an impact (to make up for the slow progress on the rest of my house!) The wallpaper is http://www.wallpaperdirect.com/products/opus-muras/henley-stripe/86878 The floor is grey limestone which is very forgiving
  • 9 years ago
    This room has way too much pattern in the floor, bedding, and wall to be restful for me, I would have nightmares. Agree with John, TV placement cramped neck. MO
  • 9 years ago
    In my previous home. Hall bathroom. We installed washable wainscoting turned sideways (running horizontal) for a contemporary look below the painted stripes. Plus, if we installed it vertically it would have been too busy with the stripes. It's hard to see that from the picture though.
  • 9 years ago
    No stripes for me
  • 9 years ago
    Do NOT believe that you can easily paint over them when you want a change. We've had stripes and diamonds in diamonds. To paint over both required sanding of the edges of each stripe or diamond to make it flush with the adjacent wall and in the case of the stripes a serious primer to get a a uniform base color before repainting so we did not need multiple coats of the finish color.
  • 9 years ago
    Uberv, you are correct - not an easy task, but I have done the whole sanding and priming to cover many designs that I have put on my walls, it just happens to be something I enjoy doing. In 1973 I put this on a slanted wall in my bedroom, with the agreement that if my parent's sold their home I would get rid of it- lots of sanding and priming!
  • 9 years ago
    I don't have one but would caution anyone who was thinking of doing it. A wall with stripes must be well thought out--from colors to size of stripes, etc. If not, it will look pretty bad.
  • 9 years ago
    I love the idea of wide horizontal stripes on a wall. It sort of reminds me of a cozy log cabin but with modern colors! I prefer just a two-toned wall stripe but for nursery, play room or kid's room, the sky is the limit on number of colors. If more than two colors, I would try varying the width of the stripes as well.
  • 9 years ago
    I have stripes in both my kids' rooms. For my son, (12) it is only one wall and I opted for varying widths in a red/white and blue color palette to add interest. It is the foundation of his
    "British themed" room. For my daughter (10), her entire room is yellow+white in the same width. It is actually quite clean looking, modern but bold. I love stripes and think done right can add the perfect amount of pop if the other supporting elements are clean. Viva Stripes!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    that room looks like a migraine!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Sorry if that was a brash comment - but those of you who have experienced a visual migraine will know what I'm talking about! For me the stripe/zigzag - or any strong geometric interior takes the roll of living space design beyond 'sympathetic/empathic space' into a dominant/overpowering effect on what is a daily used environment. I guess if you always want invigoration and stimulation from your living space this is ok, and when designing gardens for clients this is a delicate balance we have to consider also; we have built crashing chaotic waterfalls and calming quiet ones too. I think a measured and informed use of such strong geometric pattern shown in the rug/carpet in the article, can be more harmonious with daily living spaces when used in the studied e.g Moorish traditional style.
  • 9 years ago
    We did our bathroom with horizontal gray on gray stripes and love it. The stripes accent the many corners in this small room without looking overly busy. BTW--the window is now white with white blind which looks much better and the beige formica counter top will soon be replaced with gray and white granite. But we still aren't sure about painting the custom cherry vanity.
  • 9 years ago
    Love stripes but not an overdose of pattern. Remove the throw at the end of the bed and it would look less chaotic
  • 9 years ago
    And straighten the comforter and bed skirt. Please
  • 9 years ago
    We did a feature wall of stripes in our daughters hang out room and we were very happy with the way it turned out. I'm not to worried about painting over it someday because for any wall we paint in our home, in order to prep it we always sand it first. I'm not a huge fan of brightly colored stripes on walls, so we used neutral tones and brought in pops of color with furnishings and decor.
  • 9 years ago
    What I did with the first image is used the panels that the paneling gave me as my stripes. This was a strange closed in porch that had three dry wall walls and one left with paneling. I painted the whole wall a dark maroon..left over paint... and then dry bushed each with an alternating top color. The effect was amazing, super quick and easy. The second one was a lot of work. I taped off horizontal stripes and for a perfect edge I did a clear coat which fills in any spots the tape loosens then the colors went from dark to light with a pale blue on the ceiling. This was on all four walls in another living room. I painted the floor as well while waiting on budget for carpet...this was a harlequin diamond pattern with a paisley stencil...and some glitter....lol
  • 9 years ago
    sorry the window wall was paneling too but the others dry wall and if i had enough fabric i would have gone to the floor with the panels but alas I did not.....
  • 9 years ago
    I love a striped feature wall, like this shower cubicle...
    Morningside I · More Info
  • 9 years ago
    Love your bold use of color Gretchen- great combination of textiles!
  • 9 years ago
    I love a striped accent wall! It has been great to have these wide horizontal stripes on my son's bedroom wall because they are always age-appropriate.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I think the stripes add a nice touch!
    -Fratantoni Lifestyles
  • 9 years ago
    In a small hallway under the stairs, I love them!
  • 9 years ago
    I love it
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Absolutely! Especially for a boy's nursery or a teen's bedroom. I think it's jovial and fun!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Sure. it depends what wall, what colors, what size stripe, and the desired feeling for the room.
  • 9 years ago
    No, I don't care for the look and I don't like painting.
  • 9 years ago
    I think this would get old really fast in just about any room. It's not classic. Simpler is usually better; restraint is usually better over the long haul. That said, if you want to do it, go for it. I'd add that the DIY shows make it look much easier to make stripes even than it turns out to be. I think this is really about paint companies wanting to sell more paint.
  • 9 years ago
    Do these stripes make my room look fat?
  • 9 years ago
    I love striped walls. I have just done blue and white stripes in my kitchen and put floating shelves on the same wall. I think it looks stunning.
  • 9 years ago
    Glad to see this story! I've been contemplating a striped accent wall for my bedroom, wide and horizontal, but very subtle--same or close to same shade of green, but in a different paint finish. I'm thinking the walls are eggshell, so maybe using satin or gloss for the stripes?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Nothing breaks up a striped wall like a 3D accent wall!
  • 9 years ago
    We just redid one of the bedrooms of our vacation rental in Florida close to Disney and it has an accent wall with stripes. I think it came out pretty good. :)

http://VillaByTheCastle.com
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    the photo shows a room that has been created for persons who fall asleep at the drop of a hat. cute, but not conducive to sleep.
  • 9 years ago
    Mickey's ready for sport! Because paired with neutrals [the black looks 'sharp'!] it doesn't seem too exciting to me, and after all, when the person is in bed who's looking at the bedspread? and looking behind them at the wall behind.... well....
  • 9 years ago
    callen I'm no expert, but if it were me I wouldn't mess with even a slightly different shade. Why not flat- in a bedroom ok? When daylight shines, the stripes surely will look distinct, and also when electric light also.
  • 9 years ago
    Too much going on in this room. Stripes are trending, but get tired of them. Maybe go a wider stripe and use calmer colors, like a taupe and cream.
  • 9 years ago
    I love stripes, I totally transformed my sons very plain room with blue stripes throughout the room, he loves it!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    In some rooms, where the striping is subtle, I like it, especially in light green or blue tones or tone-on-tone neutrals but overall I am not a fan
  • 9 years ago
    For some reason, stripes on wall always make me think of circus tents… :D
  • 9 years ago
    The stripes in the OP's picture remind me of a rugby shirt that was in style when I was in my early 20s. I don't care for them at all.
  • 9 years ago
    Love it!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Nice color selection. I love the lights as well.
  • 9 years ago
    Not personally, but I love the room in the photo. I would add some nautical elements to the room, if it belonged to me.

I do have some striped elements in our master bedroom(shades, duvet cover, and trim on lamps).
  • 9 years ago
    like the strip shower
    and floor tiles
  • 9 years ago
    Yes I have stripes in my family room and kitchen- they look great.
  • PRO
    3 years ago

Hall runner alternative idea

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals