Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsybiorn

Stone Fireplaces

2 months ago

We have two very tall fireplaces – that are two sides of the same. One facing into the living room and one facing into the dining room. I do not care for the color of the stone nor how rough it is. Also, the mantels are way too high…not functional at all.
I was thinking of lime washing them, or using something by a company found called Romabio paints (see second two picture)
Can anyone weigh in on the design aesthetic? I don’t want it to look chintzy, which if done incorrectly definitely could. I could also replace with just stucco? But the ceilings are so high that I feel like it needs some texture.

Comments (18)

• 2 months ago

I agree, leave it. It looks as though the mantels are built into the stone.

Do you use the fireplace? It looks like the there might be a problem with the flue. There is soot on the stone. The stone could use a cleaning.

• 2 months ago

I would ignore the mantle. It looks better in the dining area without anything on it.

I have always found it suspicious/irritating that any pics I see of Romabio are part of their marketing. It is really hard to find good before and afters that people have just posted on their own.

I think your fireplaces are quite beautiful and your decor compliments them well.

• 2 months ago

My instinct says remove it. But that would be uber expensive. Then I think to myself, could I live with this?

Nope!

If I could not remove it, I would probaly soften it. I know the products out there may not work. I know nothing about Romabia. I would study, search and find others who have changed their fireplaces.

Here is one such story...

White Wash Fireplace

and another...

Laurel Home Interiors I can't stand my ugly stone fireplace

this is the after!!!

And then a few on Houzz before and after...

4 fantastic before and after fireplaces

BEFORE

Houzz Tour: A Modern First Floor Makeover Outside Chicago · More Info

AFTER

Classic Modern - Fireplace · More Info

• 2 months ago

oh dear the after for Laurel Home didn't post ...Here it is so much softer

• 2 months ago

Depending on your budget, if it is just a veneer, you could remove all of it and replace it with something you like. I'm with Kendrah, I don't think I would like it whitewashed. I think whitewashing works better with brick. If you want to remove it, call in a couple contractors to give you bids. I don't really think it's unattractive (stone fireplaces are fairly common where I live), but if it just isn't your taste and it can be changed, no reason not to change it.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I think the stone mason has created too many conflicting shapes on the walls.

The soft arched ceiling, the two full arched doorways, and then the random shape of the stone chimney.

I would simply remove the upper stone work, wash the existing stone to see what you're working with.

Then decide how you want to proceed. Limewash, mortar smear, fill the mortar lines etc.

• 2 months ago

I like them as is. How old is your home and are the fireplaces original? I’m generally a sucker for keeping original features original. Just my opinion. Your house looks lovely!

• PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    2 months ago

Wood burning or gas ? I have FP much larget than yours the backside is a wall in my kitchen where my gas range is . I love the ruggedness of the stone next to my very contemporar ydecor and kitchen . Post better pics of the spaces next to this so we get a feel for your decor .When we bought I thought I would cover it in concrete nd now it is my fave of the whole space . Ours is wood burning and boy do i love it whenwe have power outages.

• PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

@Patricia.

Please! Stop throwing in us for years your own dreary dull uninvited already dated room from 2009!

• PRO
    2 months ago

Sorry I had no idea thei offended you and BTW 2009 and good design do not need to be changed and why does this bother you at all I was just giving an example of a FP that I wantedto change but glad I did not

• 2 months ago

@Celery, this is no place for rude personal attacks. We are a civilized community here where taste and opinions differ but are respected. Gosh, now I feel like my Mom and need to send you to your room, lol

• 2 months ago

Betsy, the 2 sided FP is a great feature, but the stone work and height to ceiling give me pause (and serves to emphasize visually that the FP is off center). How long have you lived here? What were your plans for it when you bought? I would feel differently if you were in a 200+ yr house and it was original to the house, but that is not the case so please feel free to rip it out and put in what will make you smile every time you see it.

• PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

@marylut. Yes I agree. I replied to her in her own manners to other people. Nothing personal. Just my opinion on interior. It is annoying to see not good interior all this years.

• 2 months ago

Wow what a variety of responses. Thank you everyone for your input. The home was built in 2005. We’ve only been there 7 months. The current furniture was from our last home which was much smaller in scale, so this will all be replaced just not immediately as there are other priorities.
    I think at the moment, I’ve been convinced to remove the stone and replace with something else… which is now a whole nother conundrum. Thanks again everyone!! .

• 2 months ago

I would not apply a finish to the stone.

The black above thr fireplace implies that itnis wood burning, if you oaint or limewash to a lighter color, that black will be more obvious and hardervto clean in the future