Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonyaleigh

New apartment: what to do, what to do!

9 years ago
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What can I do to really have that polished look when you walk up the stairs?

Here's the skinny: all the furniture stays. Adding more if needed can be done and I would buy the very same furniture pieces if I had it to do over (when we get to the bedroom that is a different story).

Please, please help.

Comments (146)

• 9 years ago
    I couldn't leave the sofa facing the windows. I felt to scrunched. And, I am looking for a different rug. Something ivory or cream. The crystal lamps didn't feel like they had enough weight for me on the buffet. I am going to move the blue picture to the bedroom and would like to find a black and white for over the buffet. I don't want a mirror there because I would prefer one at the top of the stairs. Does anyone have any ideas for a black and white?
  • 9 years ago
    That sounds perfect. I love black and white. I picked a subject and the print shop blew it up to size...so you can do anything you really like. Wayfair was having a big rug sale. Your lamps are gorgeous all of them
    Sonya T thanked Joanne Maurer
  • 9 years ago
    Sonya, Wayfair is having a 70% off sale on some gorgeous rug today only. Check it out.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hello Sonya,
    Everything is looking great so far! I know we have tossed around a few chandelier ideas but if it's easier, you can see the chandelier section of our site if it helps since not everything is posted in our idea books: http://www.whispardesign.com/24-chandeliers

There is also an e-catalog section that has even more... 15,000+ fixtures is just too many to post on a website - people tend to get overwhelmed with too many choices :)
    Hope it helps!
    Sonya T thanked Whispar Design
  • 9 years ago
    What about this rug?
  • 9 years ago
    and I got my chair today and I HATE the color. So, it is going back. I need to find something more neutral.
  • 9 years ago
    Send a picture. The rug is neutral so that would work. Did you buy it?
  • 9 years ago
    i think it will look great all neutrals with a pop of color. I might do lavender for my place
  • 9 years ago
    It takes a while to get used to neutrals but when you do...you will love it
  • 9 years ago
    I didn't even take the chair out of the box. The box tore enough for me to see the fabric and it just doesn't have the same quality as the EA sofa and chair I already have. It is downstairs in the garage.
  • 9 years ago
    I haven't bought the rug yet. I was wondering about size. The neutral one is the same size as the blue one. Is it big enough or should I get a 8X10? They are 5X7 or so.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    how about a bookshelf for the top of stairs area.
  • 9 years ago
    Yes then send it back. Your chair and sofa are fabulous. Do you like maybe a more non traditional rug? Did you look on wayfair's sale There are some great ones on there

8 by 10 is pretty big...what is your living room measurements. Front sofa legs should be on the rug/coffee table 18 inches from sofa if you have the room. I have to bend rules in my tiny place. Do you want the chair to be on the rug also? Use a bed sheet or blanket and fold it until you like the size and then measure...i know its weird but that's what i do. If you have a neutral sheet then it will also give you a good idea if you like the look of neutral. I hope that this makes sense. You can e-mail me if you would like. jmaurer@pmidpi.com
  • 9 years ago
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4000-Oak-Grove-Ct-Flower-Mound-TX-75028/54010399_zpid/

This is the home I sold 2 years ago. I only really had one room that had any color in it. The rest were very neutral and I love it.
    Thought I wanted a change but maybe not. What do you think of the bookcase?
  • 9 years ago
    I want to live there
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    It was too big for me. Sold EVERYTHING and started over. It was great. And, it sold in 4 days and we closed 26 days later.
  • 9 years ago
    That is amazing. was that your bedroom...I hope you kept some of the stuff
  • 9 years ago
    No, I didn't keep anything. Either gave it away or sold it. Needed a change. And my bedroom was the one with the windows.
  • 9 years ago
    Your bedroom was amazing you have great taste. You know what you are doing. You don'r need me for sure...
  • 9 years ago
    The picture with the lamp with the branches looks great on the buffet. It mimics the branches in the picture ...if the picture was hung vertically with that whole look with the lamp and the bowl and the hung off center....It is almost perfect
  • 9 years ago
    Joanne, you are talking about the lone bedroom photo with the bookcase. No, that is not my bedroom and I don't have those skills :) I really like that bookcase though!
  • 9 years ago
    opps. I don't see it. But a bookcase might be nice either place...You could do books on their side vases,, glass ware...or even a bar cart! I love them as you can see. That would be fun.
  • 9 years ago
    Just a quick suggestion for the position of the painting: it is far too low and close to the buffet. I do believe it crowds the area and makes it look bulky (lamps, buffet, art) are so tightly packed that we can't enjoy these 3 beautiful elements (the rest of the space is nothing but bulky and is airy, pretty and light) Let it breath by moving the painting up until the bottom of the painting is 1" below the level of the lamp shade(s) It's what my eyes tell me. Nice space, your style is adorable and very feminine. Love the pink touch! And that blue carpet is dreamy.
    Sonya T thanked Charlene Lynch
  • 9 years ago
    How is the room coming?
  • 9 years ago
    I ordered a new ivory shag rug and sending the chair back. Still looking for a black and white photo for over the buffet. I really need to stop until after the wedding. Then I think I will order the Rand chair from EA. I love that chair and it sits well. Or I may continue to search out HomeGoods for an accent chair in a neutral color. The blue canvas can go at the bottom of the stairs in the VERY tight entry area. There isn't even room for a small demilune.
  • 9 years ago
    That rug sounds wonderful....I can't wait to see it...you have an entry...I love entries...I miss having one...?... the wedding so exciting...remember you can get any photo and have a canvas made to any size you want at the framers. I have Jean Harlow and I picked a picture off the computer....so pick a subject you like...you will know it when you see it. Something contemporary that pops...I saw a chair in TJ Maxx that had french writing all over it. I see them a lot in there....that would be cute. It is in a linen...have fun at the wedding. I have the bridal shower for my daughter on the 24th
  • 9 years ago
    My entry is just a landing at the bottom of the stairs with two doors, one to the garage and one to the outside. It is not very wide.
  • 9 years ago
    This is really nice. Very soothing and etherial
  • 9 years ago
    I ordered it. I had enough O credits to get it for nothing! I bought the canvas only so I can take it to the framer and have it framed.

it will take a bit for all the pieces to come together.as soon as I get the rug I'll post more pictures. Found some beautiful white roses with white lilies at the grocery for $9! it is a huge bouquet! So beautiful.
  • 9 years ago
    How was the wedding and how is the apartment coming along? Congratulatutions
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Joanne, the wedding is this Saturday. I've gotten the rug and the art. The rug is down but the art needs framing. I will take pictures sometime next week when things settle down again.
  • 9 years ago
    Have a great time. Congratulations! If the art is on a canvas without a frame that looks more updated...just a thought...
  • 9 years ago
    How was the wedding? The Bridal Shower here was fabulous. How is the apartment coming along? I keep playing musical furniture around here....lol
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Joanne! Glad your Shower was great! I have some things going here and haven't had a chance to take pictures of the place. And, I started on my bedroom so I may post a before and after on it once I am done. I haven't ordered the chair I want for the living area nor have I done anything with the area at the top of the stairs. I did order a mirrored desk to use as a nightstand in the bed room.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Cowhide Rug might look really great :)
    facebook.com/decorhut
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Sonya, hope things are fine. Send pictures when you are all set. The mirrored desk sounds great. I have one and I love it.
  • 9 years ago
    The mirrored desk arrived broken however Wayfair was awesome to work with and they have shipped a new one to me today. So, once that is in place I will take some more pictures. I cant post pictures now because I feel it is far too undone. :)
  • 9 years ago
    Oh no...I hate when stuff is broken. My bar cart has some dings but they took off all this money so i am sort of ignoring it....let's see how long that last. My place is on my nerves. I took out the star table and stuck in the common hallway. I needed a break from it. It was getting a loose leg and the glass top was scratched. And the poor dog had no place to play so I left the front of the sofa blank with no table no ottoman... I had a meltdown because I accidentally broke the little glass candy dish I had. It smashed to the floor and what a mess. I narrowly missed cracking my desk. This place is getting to me. Send pics when you can.
  • 9 years ago
    I'm sorry to hear about your little candy dish! Your place is really beautiful. I like your bar cart. Have you found any more accessories for it?

I will send pictures soon! Wayfair was spot on getting me a new desk. It was here Wednesday but I didn't know it! Besides, it weighs 78 pounds so I needed help getting it from the apartment office. We are getting it tomorrow and will get it all put together. We hung the curtains today and so it is coming together! I checked on framing for my picture but I don't want to spend too much money so I'm going to order a cheaper frame online and do it myself. Once I get the picture done the living area will be finished until I decide to spring for a chair I'm liking the way it is with the simple little black chair. Really, the only thing I will have left is getting something for the top of the stairs.
  • 9 years ago
    I can't wait to see your new desk. It sounds like it is coming all together. The bar cart i put some vintage items on it and I removed the table in front of the sofa this week. I flipped the couch around again to under the mirror. I think it looks better the other way but i was squeezing by everything and it was on my nerves. I went to visit my son....maybe it will look better when I get back. Post new pics soon. Where are you putting the desk and the buffet?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hi Sonya, to add light to the room but also provide you with plenty of space might I suggest our Arco Floor Lamp Castiglioni - Arch Lamp? Avaliable at an exclusive price of $499.00, with free shipping to all US and Canada destinations. I can see this complimenting a nice little reading nook or papasan chair in the corner which gives you a little space just for you - in teal and wicker tones like the ones in Pier1 .
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Sonya How are things going with you and your room? I am a Grandmother My son's baby girl was born Nov 1, 2014. I added a new lamp to my place and am still playing musical furniture.
  • 9 years ago
    A new baby! How exciting for you. Your place looks great. I am moving to the apartment right next door and it has a different floor plan. I'll post pictures once we get settled in there. No crazy about a couple of the features in the place but it has 2 bedrooms and an extra closet. Hope you are well and I'll check in again soon. - Sonya
  • 9 years ago
    That's great. I was in another unit before this one...I can't wait to see your new place. Have a great move
  • 9 years ago
    Here are some preliminary photos of the new place. Would like the buffet on the wall behind the table and chairs but not nearly enough room. Have to hang wall hangings and now have two windows to dress. I'm liking the blues.
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Sonya i love the blues so pretty.... could you move the table out more and place the buffet on that big wall... and ignore the fact that there is a fixture above and flank the buffet with 2 of the chairs and place the blue chair with the cute table next to it for a cozy nook to open your living room up more? What is on the other side of the stairs? I am glad you posted...i was looking this evening for your post in fact.
  • 9 years ago
    Its looks very cozy...do you like the new apartment?
  • 9 years ago
    I thought you were getting an ivory shag rug?
  • 9 years ago
    I'm not the only one making the decisions now so it won't be moved. I did get an ivory rug and it sheds so he doesn't like it. Thanks for your comments.