Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

What Tomatoes are you going to grow this year?

16 years ago

Im going to start the following:

Roma

Chico III

Ponderosa Pink

Ponderosa Red

Cherokee Prince

Black from Tula

Pineapple Gold

Brandywine

Giant Oxheart

German Johnson

Light Pink Oxheart

Yellow Giant Belgium

Gold Jubilee

Give my your list... and your thoughts to any of the above, mostly new to me this year.

Im growing partial to the yellows, they seem to have a slightly less acidic mellow flavor to me. I have never grown any blacks before this year, so I am interest in the flavor.

Comments (23)

• 16 years ago

Hi,

If you're into the Golds/Yellows, you might want to try Kellogg's Breakfast and Aunt Gertie's Gold - both have gotten rave reviews on the tomato growing forum. Actually, you should probably post this over there - there are a couple of threads going on regarding what everyone is starting this year.

Anne

• 16 years ago

Hi - Over on the Growing Tomatoes Forum you'll find a long thread running where everyone is posting their lists for this year. Feel free to add yours to it. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: What tomatoes are you growing this year? list

• 16 years ago

All of them. Or I'll pick 18 or so varieties. One of those two possibilities DEFINITELY.

• 16 years ago

I'm doing Early Girl and Momotaro so I can have an early producer and a later producer and tomatoes all season long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden

• 16 years ago

Right now I have around 30 varieties picked out. I'd like to get that down to 24 varieties and grow two of each.

• 16 years ago

I'm concentrating on paste and cherry types this year. Have a Marzano and some cherries that re-seeded from last year. Also started a new Oregon early type - to see if it just might ripen up a bit earlier.

Our cool summers are a bit of a problem - tho they can be planted early enough, they just stay green until August anyway because of 2 months of summer gloom.

Hope to make more dried cherry toms - as we eat lots of them, and also the paste varieties for sauce. So a few for slicers will be OK too. But definitely more cooking varieties.

Bejay

• 16 years ago

Hi - just cruised through your blog and had to mention that my boysenberries have a similar look to them. We have had "unseasonable" rainfall this winter, and the yard is a jungle - especially the berry vines. I'm wondering the best way to tackle them.

Anyway, my solution to the berries was to buy a section of concrete reinforcing wire and make a circle of it. The berry vines were then brought up thru the middle and allowed to drape over. I cut them back each year, but actually that isn't the best solution - although still able to pick fairly easily.

I've seen some very solid vine arbors erected on the Fruit Forum - I believe this past summer. You might try a Search and see if it is still there. It involves tall timbers - at least 10 ft. high with wires running up. That would be ideal alright.

I'm wondering about something, however. Your boxes look great! But from the pictures, will you be able to get enough sunshine to grow some of the more heat-lovers, like tomato and peppers? It seems you are closed in by a house and fence there. Perhaps some lettuces, green onions, bok choy, celery might be Ok tho.

Just my 2 c's. I like your enthusiasm.

Bejay

• 16 years ago

Mikado Violettor
    Sungold
    Roma Cherry
    Bella Rosa
    English Rose
    Rose

• 16 years ago

I would like to grow Mortgage Lifter, German Johnson, and a yellow cherry tomato (seeds given by a friend, don't know the real name). Whether I'll be able to get plants for the Mortgage Lifter and German Johnson is another story. My Feed and Seed store went out of business. I usually don't start seeds indoors as my cats mess with the seed trays and if I put the trays in the front room away from the cats then they are also away from me and....

Dead dry seedlings.

Still, I'm going to try starting the yellow cherries.

• 16 years ago

Here's my list & my dilemma.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me pick one more tomato

• 16 years ago

I am still trying to decide. Too many seeds, not enough garden space, plus I've never tried any of the ones I have seeds for. Please check out my list on the thread on the Tomato forum, and help me choose.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Which tomatoes are you growing thread

• 16 years ago

Sun gold for cherries, none finer for taste but they split
    San Marzano Nano(determinate) for paste along with Hog Heart, Opalka and San Remo, all huge 2 tomatoes per pint jar size but indeterminate.
    pink Brandywine, slightly better flavor than the red, and not quite as lumpy.
    and a couple of odds and ends I find as start by my favorite grower who does really beautiful plants, short and stocky but he won't grow anything adventurous.

• 16 years ago

San Marzano Redorta, Roma, Celebrity, Red Pear, & Red Cherry

• 16 years ago

Paul Robersons, Big Zac and romas. The Paul Robersons are the best tasting tomato I have ever tasted, but they seem prone to disease. The big zacs are well...........what summer is all about!!! big, red ripe tomatoes and the romas are for sauce, but somehow they never seems to make it!!!

• 16 years ago

I just got my first order from Marianna's seeds in Kentucky. It was the only place I could find the San Remo
    which I had grown a few years ago. I planted the last 6 seeds I had last year and tried to save some but don't know if they will germinate. So I just took a chance on someone I found on the 'net. They arrived in cute little brown envelopes, each carefully labeled. I had sent the order by mail just last week (she takes payment through Paypal which I don't use or by mail). She has a hugh list of OP tomatoes with good descriptions. I'll have to see what kind of germination I get, but they sure came quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marianna's Heirloom Tomatoes

• 16 years ago

Brandywine
    Big Boy

• 16 years ago

Pruden's Purple - hands down, the best!
    Cherokee Purple - a very close second
    Jaune Flamme - delish!
    Opalka - haven't tried yet
    San Marzano - haven't tried yet
    Ramapo, if I find seeds!

• 16 years ago

Brandywine - from seed
    Cherry - from seed
    Black Sea - catalog plant
    Siberian - catalog plant
    Early Girl- catalog plant

• 16 years ago

San Marzano - 12 of these 2 of the others
    Sun Gold
    JTO 99197 Determinate from Johnny's
    Hillbilly
    Mule Team
    Box Car Willie
    Bloody Butcher
    Cherokee Purple
    Manitoba
    Some silly tree tomato I got free seeds for and I'm sure I'm missing one.
    The first three I grew last year and really liked.
    I tried to be all scientific about my choices but in the end I went with names I liked. Hillbilly because the bf lives in the mountains - that sort of thing.
    What fun!

• 16 years ago

and Green Zebra!
    How could I forget that?

• 16 years ago

Returning from previous years:
    Mortgage Lifter
    June Pink
    Yellow Oxheart
    Kellogg's Breakfast (only I think I'll go with the KBX version)
    Big Rainbow
    Santa Sweet grape

New this year:
    Red Oxheart
    Ultimate Giant
    Big Zebra
    Great White
    Cherokee Green
    Neves Azorean Red
    Black from Tula PL

The following are cherry-types:
    Black Cherry
    Galina
    Dr. Caroline Pink

Some of these I will order from SelectedPlants but most of them I will start from seed, in fact I started the ML's, June Pinks and Yellow Oxhearts last weekend and already have a couple JP and YO up. YAY!!

Granite, I always start more seeds than I need, if I can figure out how to ship tomato plants I'd be more than glad to send you a couple Mortgage Lifters once they're growing well. These aren't just generic ML's, these are Estler's Mortgage Lifters and come with a true story. (My maiden name is Estler if that tells you anything ;^) !) Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.

Edie

• 16 years ago

Well, I posted earlier that I was still trying to decide. Thanks to some suggestions on the Tomato forum here is what I will be growing. I just hope I have enough room left for the peppers, beans, carrots, onions and canteloupes!

SLICERS:

Azoychka
    Cherokee Purple
    Moskvich
    Stupice
    Kellogg's Breakfast

PASTE:

Roma
    San Marzano
    Opalka

CHERRIES:

MiniBush Yellow Cherry
    Sungold
    Supersweet 100's
    Black Cherry

According to my calcultions I only have enough space for 7 plants, so don't ask me where the other 5 are going!

Bonnie

• 16 years ago

Of the ones you mention, I've grown two. Roma was very good for sauce. Brandywine yielded poorly.

After several years of trials, this year I have settled on these favorites:

1. Aunt Gertie's Gold - rich, full flavored yellow

2. Coustralee - nice tasty, productive red

3. Old Brooks - smooth, blemish free red with tangy flavor

All three are medium sized, round fruited tomatoes.

Jim