Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

GW messed up again?

Have you noticed our profile info about zone is getting messed up. I tried to correct mine and got an error message. Wish this site would update to a better format and computers or whatever is needed.

Comments (14)

• 13 years ago

%2C is the code for a comma, %20 is code for a space character, etc.

Not sure why the zone or locale field is spitting these out. Try using hyphens or underscores between items.

GW has been trying to upgrade the login/registration system since mid-December (see Suggestions Forum for more info).

• 13 years ago

Testing the dash theory

• 13 years ago

Hyphens eliminated the %codes, likely underscores will also.

• 13 years ago

I tried it here. But why should I have to. And so many forums have so many features that GW doesn't. Like the ability to edit posts and add things like smiles. Really antiquaited here. I used to think that OK since the service is free to me. But many of us add a lot of value to this site with our posts.

It's still the best fruit forum but could be better.

• 13 years ago

They are listening and they will eventually improve.
    It surely needs spellcheck and "Edit" to correct mistakes otherwise write-up with some spelling errors makes the write-up misleading. Also, it needs easy way of inserting a URL and posting pictures.
    Eventually it may come but sooner the better.

• 13 years ago

BTW,
    I just deleted %28 and %29 from the Zone (optional) box contents %28Canada%29 and that removed the corruption.

• 13 years ago

Those improvements would be fine, but I prefer the raw mis-spelled postings, they have a certain charm. I'm not sure editors and spellchecks would alter the postings that much. Many people are not concerned with precise posting and would bypass the tools.

But certainly GW has focused on advertising, not on member convenience.

• 13 years ago

My zone is constantly being messed with, and since the problems began, my saved sign-in is erased every time I close GW. It is getting verrrrrry annoying!

Carla in Sac

• 13 years ago

There was a while around Christmas when I couldn't login - I would get an error message!

Hope they focus on the basics with their upgrade. Browsers have built-in or add-on spell checkers these days, so a forum really shouldn't need its own. And I could do without those goofy smiley faces that some forums have. The ability to login, however -- that's important!

• 13 years ago

I also had problems not staying logged in but they seem to have gone away. The picture I had on "my page" also stopped loading and they are now apparently filtering out what you can put on that page so photos are no longer allowed.

I agree all the GW admins seem to care about is how many ads they can throw up; I was getting so many ads recently that I decided to install an ad blocker. Since ads are paying for the service I usually put up with them, but they went beyond the limit.

Scott

• 13 years ago

I tried going to my profile and inserting hyphens instead of spaces. The page won't accept changes. Zone looks normal on my profile.

I guess I will try to remember to include my zone if I say anything that is temperature critical.

• 13 years ago

I got my profile page to update, you need to include some information such as name, birthdate that may have been empty to get it to update (make stuff up if you don't want to reveal something; I didn't figure out precisely what I needed to include). There is no message that you are missing information, I only got it to update correctly by guesswork. And, oddly enough my zone information there I changed to remove spaces but it is using my old data when I post, so it didn't fix the zone display anyway.

Scott

• 13 years ago

I really like this forum and the fig forum. I mostly lurk. It's free which I odn't mind at all don't mind if there are strange characters. I mean in the zone designation, not talking about the members. :-) Cheers.

• 13 years ago

Perhaps we should just refer to GW as the forum-host that gets it right %20 of the time.