Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cazzie_gw

Should I re-pot my Calathea?

13 years ago

Hello,

I have inherited a lovely little calathea, prayer plant from the previous tenant of my flat. It is planted in a 5inch pot and has approx. 25 leaves. I am slightly concerned because the pot has no drainage holes and the soil on the top is very solid/compact and is growing mold? Its leaves are all crisping at the edges also.

I recently moved the plant into a more shaded room as I read that they do not cope well in very sunny spots, which I feel may have contributed towards the leaf problem.

Is it necessary to re pot my plant in a pot with drainage holes?

Should I go for a larger size or keep it at 5inches?

I am also concerned as I have read that it is a very difficult plant to repot, does anyone know the correct procedure (step-by-step if possible)??

I am a house plant novice but would love to nurture this little fella back to life!

Any help would be super!

Thanks

Comments (3)

• 13 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't have much knowledge on this plant as I've never grown one, but you're right about the sunlight. An East or West window with something infront to diffuse the light is best. The brown edges may also be a sign that the humidity's too low. These plants like some humidity. They also like to be kept somewhat moist, but do let it dry out just a bit between waterings. I also use room temperature water on my plants. It's easier on them as cold/hot water can shock/kill the roots respectively.

I would DEFINITELY move it out of that pot with no drainage holes. Drainage holes are an aboslute must must must! You'll know if it needs a bigger pot when you remove it from it's current pot. If there's a mass of roots all curled around the bottom, then it needs a bigger pot, but only move it up an inch or two max.

There's slightly different instructions for repotting (putting it back in the same size container) and potting up (putting it in a bigger container). Both are relatively simple once you get the hang of it. What can make it difficult is the plant (large, hanging, delicate...) I'm unsure how difficult this plant is in particular.

Hopefully someone else can chime in and help you out some more. Best of luck!

• 13 years ago

Thank you so much for that advice!

I definitely need to figure out how to increase the humidity, I live in the UK so its not natural conditions for it :o) I'll have to get myself a pebble tray or something.

Thanks again!

• 13 years ago

Well I suggest you read up on the plants, by searching for info. around here on the Web.

Speaking personally, I try not to advise on plants which I neither grow nor know; it doesn't seem a good idea.

I myself have recently come upon a small but beautiful Calathea & have been reading around to try & find some info. about how to grow it.

I use pebble trays for a number of other plants; I'm guessing that WILL help your plant's humidity. Also group your plants together if you have more than a few, that's said to help raise ambient humidity as well.

Drainage holes really ARE must; I'd switch to a pot the same size but w/ drainage holes.

In the meantime, try taking a pencil & poking holes into this hardened off mix & then water down directly into those holes, til overflowing. This will help get water INTO the rootball rather than around it, which happens often w/ hardened off rootballs. Good luck.