Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_3806980791

repotting a dracaena with small new sprouts

Azu
18 days ago

recently chopped an unhealthy dracaena that seriously needs to be repotted[top cutting is in water right now, and i'm not even sure if the base of the stem will grow again. currently debating cuttting it even lower to try to reach healthy tisse, as it's hollow in the spot it was cut, but not soft, and it's still quite green].

the problem is, there's small little pups in the same pot. the new sprouts look great so far. i want them to have the best chance possible at surviving and growing, and i'm not sure what to do. i've been told to leave them alone while they grow, but i know the pot is really unhealthy - there isn't even a draining hole - and i suspect i will need to clean up some root rot. is it safe to repot and clean up the roots even with these small sprouts in there?

Comment (1)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    15 days ago

Yes. When you pull it out, you'll see that all of it is connected. Cut off any excessive or unhealthy looking roots, put in a pot with a drain hole and water gently but thoroughly. The soil level should be the same as where it is now, so if you want to use a pruner to cut the old stump lower, that would be fine. Or leaving it alone if you prefer would be fine too. Looks like it should be a nice looking pot with at least 2 fresh new stems soon.