Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyman720

Going on vacation- what should I do with my seedlings?!

14 years ago

I am going away for 6 days. My veggies are just starting to sprout out of their soil block in the humidity domes.

I have not had to water since sowing (1 week) since the soil is sill moist.

So tonight I am going to take off the dome and put under lights. What should I do about watering this week? Should I just put some water in there and hope it is enough for the week?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (7)

• 14 years ago

Buy some grow lights, buy an automatic timer, and voila!

This has been a real life and time saver!

• 14 years ago

Yea but how about watering?

• 14 years ago

You are definitely leaving at a critical time for your seedlings... If I were you, I'd keep the lids on them but just not tight. And, just before you leave, make sure they are nice and damp. And, either in partial sun or under your grow lights. I have to watch my seedlings daily for watering needs. They can dry out very quickly and those tiny seedlings don't last long without a little moisture. Good luck!

• 14 years ago

The only problem is that some of them are hitting the top of the lids already!

• 14 years ago

Do you have a friend who can come and water? I went away for the weekend, last weekend, and some of my newly sprouted tomato seeds didn't make it. 6 days is a long time to go without water.

• 14 years ago

Is there any way for you to set up a wicking system.

I will try to describe one, but you can use different materials...

Take a 1020 tray with no holes and add one inch of water. Then set a baking rack in it so it sits out of the water. Then lay a piece of paper towel, cotton cord... something that will draw water, over the tray so that the ends are sticking in the water and then set your seedlings on that so that the seedlings can wick up water via the cord/papertowel... I know it is a long shot but worth a try.

The other thing I would try is getting them into bigger pots to hold more moisture.

Or setting them in a 1/2 inch of water and putting a fan on them... that would increase the chance of dampening off but you may get lucky.

Good luck, don't let it ruin your vacation : )

Keriann~

• 14 years ago

I'm still giving a neighbor free tomato plants, and tomatoes I grow when she has crop failure, for her help in watering my starts daily about 4 or 5 years ago for a few days when I had to be away due to a death in the family. That, and I can't do anything else with them.

Sell them? Ha Ha Ha! Can hardly give tomato plants away around here. I think the greenhouse tries to sell them for $1.50, but doesn't move many until they have their 6 for $1. end of season sale.