Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ten_steps_ahead

Brunnera Jack Frost

14 years ago

For the first time last year I planted a Jack Frost in my shade garden. I have a plant tag where I put it and yesterday when it was so nice out I went to check on things and there is no sign of life from Jack. Does he send up new shoots each season, is it too early? Any info would be appreciated.

Barbara

Ten Steps Ahead

Comments (37)

• 14 years ago

I would give it another couple of weeks.

• 14 years ago

We've had a week or so of really nice weather, 60 degrees & up to 70 a couple of days. I noticed yesterday that my brunnera Hadspen Cream is barely starting, nothing yet of Jack Frost. Early days yet, don't worry.

• 14 years ago

My oldest JF (3years) is peeking with tiny leaves, but all others are still resting. The 'others' are seedlings or divisions from the three year old.

• 14 years ago

Mine is very slow to show.

• 14 years ago

I did the same today. I have 4 Jack Frost's and went to check on what was sprouting in my garden or not lol. No signs of Jack Frost yet. Bummer... Hopefully another couple of weeks and I'll get a sign their at least still alive in there lol. They are gorgeous plants and I would hate to lose them!

{{gwi:195780}}

• 14 years ago

Here's another pic from earlier in the season last year. Now that I look at the date in the pic, I realize that it may take a few more weeks to start seeing growth. Beautiful though :)

{{gwi:199219}}

• 14 years ago

Thanks everyone...I thought I lost it this winter. I want to get a few more when Bluestone has their sale later this summer.

• 14 years ago

I didnt realize the leaves were so large until I seen it next to the landscaping timber. They are beautiful. Can you grows these from seed? or do they not come true?
    Tammy

• 14 years ago

Someone posted a picture last year of their seedlings. It was a mixed bag with some looking very similar to the original Jack Frost and others that didn't.

This was a favorite plant of mine last year. I hope mine return too. I bet they'll be up some time in April.

• 14 years ago

Mine are usually slow to show.

KentStar,

Is this partial sun? I have some in full shade, some in partial sun. Is that impatiens next to it? Lovely combo.

• 14 years ago

Thankyou! It's actually part shade! I have a huge oak tree that provides some shade all summer long. I have two long planter boxes that my DH and I built out of landscape timbers. Each box is 14 ft long by 2 ft deep by 1 ft high. I noticed that they both get shadier as the beds go from one side of the house to another.

• 14 years ago

tammyinwv,

In the following photo you will see a division of Jack Frost and seedlings in the front.

{{gwi:199220}}

Some of them are close to the parent and others are half and half.

• 14 years ago

The biggest one right below it is pretty close.Where do you guys find these? I dont think I have seen them in local stores here.
    Tammy

• 14 years ago

White Flower Farm and Forestfarm.com

• 14 years ago

Thanks kentstar, I'll check them out.
    Tammy

• 14 years ago

Forestfarm.com is much, much cheaper and great quality plants (I should mention) versus WFF that wants $20 for one plant!

• 14 years ago

tammy, i am a huge fan of forest farm, but shipping costs are pretty exorbitant from the west coast these days.

2suggestions: lazy s farm in va. great place.closest to you. also google the plant name and 'nursery' and see who else has it.

Here is a link that might be useful: lazy s nursery in va.

• 14 years ago

such a tremendous plant
    {{gwi:199221}}
    top to bottom: brunnera looking glass, jack frost, emerald mist

best,
    mindy

• 14 years ago

and another ! this with maidenhair fern and persicaria lance corporal and hosta fluctuans variegata, my fav of all hostas!
    {{gwi:199222}}
    best,
    mindy

• 14 years ago

Love Brunnera 'Jack Frost' mine are blooming now. I have 'Looking Glass' too, just planted last fall not blooming yet.

• 14 years ago

Tammyinwv, once your brunnera matures, it should seed around without any help from you. When you see the small baby plants in the spring, just dig them up carefully and move any that you like and discard the rest. They have large tap roots, so do not transplant well when larger. However, small plants do fine when kept well watered. I have several kinds of brunnera and they all seed around a lot, even Jack Frost.

• 14 years ago

My Jack Frost is up! I have one that survived here. The other two croaked apparently. These plants hate the heat here. I'm just glad one came back. They are so beautiful. They just sparkle.

My "Looking Glass" is missing in action. I didn't like it as much as "Jack Frost" but was hoping it would return.

Hopefully I can divide these or root cuttings some how.

• 14 years ago

I divided a fairly large 'Jack Frost' and while it did sulk a bit it did recover.

• 14 years ago

Wow, that Looking Glass is beautiful as well. I have spent too much already on seeds etc this past fall/winter, so from the looks of the shipping expenses i think I will maybe wait till next year on this one. But they are definitely on my wish list.thanks for all the info.Barbara, thanks for starting this thread, and sorry for hijacking it :)
    tammy

• 14 years ago

My Jack Frost survived it's first winter and is happily sprouting away!!! I can't believe it looked dead as a door nail a little over two weeks ago. Thank you all for the beautiful pictures and wonderful info. I plan on getting a few more Jack Frosts and some Looking Glass also. Thanks for enabling me Mindy lol. @Tammyinwv I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the conversation. BTW I hope no one in your family was touched by the mine collapse. My prayers are with the families that have fallen family members. Such a horrible tragedy. I remember when my grandfather worked the mines in PA, I couldn't wait till he was home every night safe and sound.

Barbara
    Ten Steps

• 14 years ago

My grandfather, who retired from the mines over 30 yrs ago, died about 22 yrs ago from black lung. Thank God, I have no family members working in the mines now. These are quite a ways away from me. My prayers are with those families tho. I read one man was just 5 weeks from retirement.
    Tammy

• 14 years ago

We have frost! he, he. Here's a pic of one of them coming up. All four survived the winter. I just moved one, so we'll see how much he sulks.

{{gwi:199224}}

• 14 years ago

Another enabler! It has been in the mid to upper 80's here the past few days and today I looked and had flowers on Jack. They sure are purty! Can't wait to get more when Bluestone has their half price sale.

• 14 years ago

It's gonna be cold tonight and tomorrow night, I wonder if I should cover them? It's supposed to be mid 30's. Yikes!

• 14 years ago

Another brunnera to look into is King's Ransom, it's like Jack Frost, but with a gold-cream edge. Very pretty.

Karen

• 14 years ago

I will keep my eyes open for King's Ransom. I saw a slide show recently where there was a yellow foliaged Brunnera too. Can't remember the name.

• 14 years ago

Diane's Gold. I remembered it was Dan Heims of Terra Nova giving the slide show/talk. I really need this one....Brunneras are less special care for me than hostas and I have need of some yellow foliage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunnera Diane's Gold

• 14 years ago

Tammy, I got my Jack Frost at Lowes. There are 3 lowes in the area and they all carry them throughout most of the year, including now. Price is reasonable and plants are nice.

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the tip fcivish. I will check out my Lowes and Home Depot.
    Tammy

• 14 years ago

Mine are up a while now and starting to bloom. Hope this doesn't discourage you. They are in a nice shady location when the trees have leafed out. Right now get some nice sun although not a hot sun because the temps are in the 40's at night and 50's to 60's during the day.

• 14 years ago

My Brunnera Jack Frost are up and flowering. They are somewhat shaded by a tree that is just beginning to leaf out. I got them last year and many leaves turned black in the fall due to all the rain. Now they look great. I think I'll try Looking Glass when the sales start. That one is lovely too.

• 14 years ago

Does anyone ever trade seed of these? I checked my local stores last night and didnt find any. I wouldnt mind trying what ontnative said, since I am doing a lot of wintersowing anyway.
    Tammy