Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaches4me_gw

Please share your experiences with English rose 'Eglantyne'

17 years ago

Wondering about growth habit, rebloom, fragrance, disease resistance, anything you would like to share. Thanks!

Comments (23)

• 17 years ago

Were you asking about the David Austin rose by that name and spelling or the older roses.

• 17 years ago

I bought three of the Austin rose Eglantine expecting a nice short shrub. (This was before I knew about rose forums) I was then shocked to discover that this rose acts like a climber here in the South. seven foot canes and such.

When I pruned in early Feb, I pegged the longest canes to the ground and cut other to varying lengths. The results have been spectacular. I am now seeing buds from laterals on the pegged canes as well as tons of new growth from the bottom of the plants.

I hope rebloom is better this year because the fragrance of this flower is outstanding. I have never noticed any scent to the leaves,however. Oh, and down here it must be sprayed religiously of will get fungal diseases.

• 17 years ago

I think york rose is referring to the species or old rose Eglantyne.

• 17 years ago

Austin's Eglantyne has superb blooms with a strong sweet Tea Rose scent. The fragrance is wonderful, sweet and rosey!

Here's a pic of the blooms:

{{gwi:222306}}

• 17 years ago

David Austin's Eglantyne is an incredibly beautiful and refined rose (since it's *not* the Sweet Briar species rose Eglantine) with a scent similar to that of Sharifa Asma, just a little softer. She can get quite tall in the South, and in the 3 years or so she's been with me her rebloom after the summer has unfortunately not been one of her strenghts. Disease resistance is excellent if she's in full sun and in a well ventilated spot. If there's too much shade and not much ventilation, you'll see a lot of BS unless you spray very regularly.

• 17 years ago

Good rose with incredibly beautiful flowers. I especially like the color, which stays a pure pastel pink, resisting fading to white from start to finish. Strong, straight stems are medium to long. Good reliable repeat after the second year (plant is own root from Chamblees). Shrub is big and bushy but takes pruning well. Numerous thorns that vary from tiny prickles to full sized shark teeth. Black spot resistance is poor. The canes will completely defoliate if not consistly sprayed with a fungicide. But then again so does every other Austin I've ever grown. The moderate fragrance could be stronger. This is my only real complaint. On the plus side the fragrance has a high degree of freshness and smells, at least to me, just like carnations. Another plus is the consistency. I've smelled this rose morning, noon and night. Each time I could detect the same fresh scent. All-in-all a keeper.

Image of Eglantyne by GiantSlug-Z4b at Hortiplex

• 17 years ago

My Austin Eglantyne has been having only a few flowers in the spring. They have been rather small, but like the posted pictures, they look like a fine pink porcelain. It is a unique trait to this rose that I haven't seen on the other pink Austins. The posted pictures don't quite do it justice. That said, my bush is still small after several years and really doesn't grow much or bloom much. In my yard, it is not really worth keeping and won't be replaced if it dies since it hasn't had more than about 6 flowers per year, if that.

• 17 years ago

Sorry for the confusion, I meant Austin's rose. I have been wondering about this one for some time. I grow many of DA's roses and have wanted to try this one for some time.

Thanks to all who responded. I have one coming own-root from Chamblee's.

• 17 years ago

No confusion - your question was clear and explicit.

'Eglantyne' has proved to be one of the 'keepers' among the modern roses in our garden. It is a truly beautiful thing.

By the way, the centrepiece of our garden *is* formed by four Sweetbriars around a central dipping pool :)

Best wishes
    Jon

• 17 years ago

I have this one soaking in a bucket of water.
    Peaches, my neighbor had 3 and once I was there and smelled it and looked and wham, I had to have it. After reading the comments I suspect Eglantyne can be an octupus like Lillian Austin.

Carla

• 17 years ago

My is also from Chambleesroses last spring.
    It sure is an big octupus and a black spot magnet.
    Besides, I got less than 10 blooms for a whole year!
    However, after reading molineux's command, I think I will give it one more year before I replace it with Sharifa Asma .

• 17 years ago

I Love this rose it's one of the last roses to stop blooming in our garden.

• 17 years ago

OOPS!!!

Apologies!

• 17 years ago

I may have grown this rose (I bought it from Park/Wayside as Kathleen, which it wasn't.) In half day shade (I planted it as if it were a Hybrid Musk) it did make big wonderful blooms, but not that many.
    Kathryn Morley is close color wise, maybe a bit lighter, and our cultivars of Morley stay shorter (maybe because they are from Park/Wayside and beginning their decline.) When the rose that wasn't Kathleen began its decline, we fed it to the burn pile.

• 17 years ago

Trepadora,

SHARIFA ASMA is a better rose than EGLANTYNE.

Don't get me wrong. I like Eglantyne.

But I L-O-V-E Sharifa.

While Sharifa Asma gets black spot just like any other English Rose, her growth habit is easier to manage, she blooms more, and her fragrance is out of this world.

If I had to choose, Sharifa would win every time.

Image of Sharifa Asma by Christian at Hortiplex

• 16 years ago

molinuex,
    I was on line searching some information and accidentally come back to this post.
    Wow, what a beautiful picture for SA.
    Actually, I have one SA already, but it's grafted on Dr.Huey.
    So I am thinking about getting an own root and hopely I can keep it longer this time.
    It sure is a winner compared to Eglantyne .
    When I look out of my window now, I can see my 3' high SA blooms like crazy (the flowers are smaller in summer though) and only has BS here and there.
    On the other hand, the giant 6' Egalantyne is covered with BS and has two or three tiny flower buds.
    Even, their are both under the guard the Bayer 3 in 1.
    Every time, when I walk pass Eglantyne, I just can hear he (or she) crying for a "spread".

• 16 years ago

EGLANTYNE got shovel pruned about 4 weeks ago and replaced with another SHARIFA ASMA.

• 3 years ago

Just to resurrect this, has anyone noticed winter hardiness issues? I planted Eglantyne early this year and it rapidly became my largest rose bush, but I'm in zone 5b and worried about it dying over the winter after having read about others noticing cold hardiness issues.

• 3 years ago

This thread is a walk down memory lane. No hardiness issues, mine are very hardy with minimal dieback after winter. They are just over 20 years old.

• 3 years ago

Thanks Krista! I'm in zone 5 also so your insight is invaluable! Do you have it own root?

• 3 years ago

No, mine are grafted on Dr. Huey.

• 3 years ago

My only comment is that I think it is unfortunate that anyone would name a new rose the same name (changing only one letter) as a very famous ancient rose - it causes confusion, as noted above, and surely we already have enough confusion re the names and identities of roses?

Jackie