Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdean_gw

Help - what am I doing wrong to Louis Phillipe

17 years ago

Hi everyone. After killing off several hybrid teas, I decided to try old garden roses. A little over two years ago, my husband bought old blush, martha gonzolas (sp), old gay hill, and louis phillipe from I believe Antique rose emporium. All are still hanging in there. By far, the standout it old blush. Nothing seems to bother it, and it's always in bloom, with healthy folliage and new growth. Louis Phillipe is another story. I was told this rose did really well in Florida and I LOVE it's blooms. I love the pretty romantic red flowers, but it is still a very small plant - that looks drawfed next to old blush. Most descriptions I've read say it's an easy rose and quick grower. I'm just wondering if I am doing something wrong. I take reasonably good care of it - same as old blush. Also, my birthday is coming up. I am wanting more OGRs - and I want some that perform like my old blush. Any suggestions? I was looking at Mrs. BR Cant or Mons Tiller - my main criteria is something that will be a pretty plant and repeat bloomer. I really want something that grows like old blush and I love the flowers on LP, but it's just not growing well. I wonder if I just got a bum plant or I am doing something it doesn't like. I took photos but can not figure out how to post them. Thanks very much.

Comments (6)

• 17 years ago

Hmmmmm . . . Chinas really do take 3-4 years anyhow to really mature. I suspect your plant may be growing roots.

We have had Louis Phillipe here now for close to 3 years. It's developed into a sprawling mound of blooms and foliage, perhaps 4 ft. wide, and 3 ft tall. And at three years, it's definitely not mature. I'm sure it will gain more size, but I sure can't complain about the bloom production, which is continuous.
    At two years, tho -- let me think ... At two years, my L.P. was still a small thing in a pot. I'd say, don't give up on him.

Jeri Jennings

• 17 years ago

Ditto what jeri said - give him at least 3 years. Mine tends to grow tall and leggy here in SC, so last year I moved him to a sunnier spot and this year cut him SEVERELY back to try to produce more canes - so far so good. I also love the flowers on this plant, and the scent is wunnerful!!

• 17 years ago

Thanks - I am going to hang in there - I like the occasiional flowers too much, but of all the plants that went in at the same time - LP is by far the most disappointing. Even martha gonzales, which is supposed to be compact, looks huge next to the LP.

• 17 years ago

When you add more OGR, be sure the teas are on fortuniana. They say chinas are OK on their own roots in Florida.

• 17 years ago

Mrs. BR Cant is supposed to do very well here, and I have several on their own roots that look extremely promising. Her root system is massive. All are planted near concrete (about 6 ft. away), which is supposed to help keep any nematode populations down.

It can be almost impossible to find any OGR on fortuniana, so I am planting what I want own root, and if they ever start faltering, I will either get cuttings custom grafted, or learn to do it myself. There are people that have had success with some of them on their own roots. Depends on what's going on in your yard. I've never had any issues with my lawn or any of my other shrubs, so maybe that's a good sign.

• 17 years ago

All things being equal, I think Louis Phillipe tends to be smaller then Old Blush.

Years ago, I had planted a grafted Louis P. over what I found out was the septic tank. It grew huge and full--larger then my BR Cant ever grew. Certainly it was larger than my Old Blush. So with grafting and plenty of organic fertilizer, you may get a Louis Phillipe to match or even surpass your Old Blush.