Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaecho1

Totally confused - 'dwarf' crape myrtle isn't!

17 years ago

I bought what I "thought" was a dwarf crepe myrtle yesterday. Centennial Spirit. Its in a one gallon pot and is a little less than 2 ft. tall. The tag says it will reach a maximum of 5' high and 4' spread. Then I get online and everything I read says they get 8-12 ft! So I didn't get a dwarf after all, right? Do you think there was a mix-up with the tags? I'm disappointed as I needed something that wouldn't get over 5' when mature for the front of my house. I don't have room in that area for a bigger tree and now will have to plant it somewhere else. I never would have bought it if the tag had been correct. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Randi

Comments (8)

• 17 years ago

You can probably take it back and exchange it for another cultivar. Try to do the research first - maybe take a list of possibilities with you, so you can look for ones you KNOW won't get too big. I know the one true dwarf I've seen is much more a shrub, aboout as wide as tall, but not over 2' - and no, I don't know the name, I've only seen it planted.

There may not have been any intent to deceive, there may have been a mix-up in identity somewhere along the line - 2 varieties may have had their characteristics conflated, and the error was perpetuated. And, sometimes, the "mature" height quoted by tags and nurseries is actually the height after 10 years - I guess that number is as much time as most prople are willing to think ahead. It's usually a good idea to double check, independently.

If you really want a small shrub, Gold Mound spirea doesn't get over 3-4', has yellowish leaves and pink flowers - which sounds awful, but isn't. It is about the same wide, so that might not do for you.

• 17 years ago

growth rate is more important that ultimate height ....

frankly nothing stops magically growing at a given height .... and most size estimates are based on 10 year averages ....

so if you buy it at 2 feet and it grows about 1 foot per year .. you have about 8 years to the magic 10 foot range ... and the following year it will be 11 feet .. etc ....

the alternative is to learn how to properly prune a bush and keep it in a dwarf form ...

and finally .. never forget that dwarf is a relative term .... if a redwood can grow to 385 feet .. then a 200 foot cultivar .. is a dwarf of momma .. go figure on that.. its an extreme example .. but one i tend not to forget ....

in the conifer world.. the classifications go down to mini .. which only grow inches per year .... dwarves... grow up to one foot per year ... i do not know if you can find info on CM regarding such ..

good luck

ken

• 17 years ago

Thank you. I'm learning a lot here. I thought the tag meant the tree wouldn't EVER grow over 5'. Sure was misleading to a CP newbie! I have not seen any dwarf varieties available anywhere around here (nurseries, Lowe's, HD) so I guess I'll have to order either a miniature or dwarf online. Which ones would you suggest I try?

• 17 years ago

There is 'Centennial' and there is 'Centennial Spirit'. The former is the dwarf. Which one do you have?

• 17 years ago

Speaking of the redwoods, even those are still growing. It appears the height cutoff for these that seems to exist (probably due to an inability to consistently supply water above a certain point) is maintained by the top dying back and then starting over. One of the tallest has a dead stub in the center with a ring of surprisingly vigorous replacement tops coming on around it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Myth of Uniform Plant Performance

• 17 years ago

yeah .. i recall that the world record redwood can not overcome the physics of gravity upon a certain height... it just cant pump the water any higher ... or so the theory went .... sounded good to me ....

ken

• 17 years ago

I believe this is still pretty much in the early stages of investigation.

• 17 years ago

I have Centennial Spirit. I picked it up for two reasons - I remember reading about a dwarf being called Centennial, so I thought it was the same thing, plus the tag made me believe it was truly going to be a dwarf. Now, its lost all its leaves (see my other post). Man, I can't win lately, lol!

Randi