Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyjacq_bris

Australian cultivars

15 years ago

I have just bought these 3 daylilies from aussie breeders. Sadly not all that many about.

Romeo's Heart (Donna Mead 2004)

Muller Road Mauler (Edwards 2005)

And....Helena Seabird (Nunan 2003)

Hope you enjoy these.

Comments (12)

• 15 years ago

Very nice. So that is the Helen Seabird that is such a fabulous parent. Lucky You.

kay

• 15 years ago

Love your pink RH. Tell us more about daylilies there, no growers? No interest by people? just not in your area? Hmmm, sounds like an opportunity for you..... Are you just coming into DL season? Would also love to see pics of your gardens.

Thanks, Pat

• 15 years ago

Very pretty flowers! If you are limited on local breeders, at least you can enjoy the fact that they have some nice blooms. My favorite of the three is Romeo's Heart.

I will be curious to hear your answers to Pat's questions as well.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Julie

• 15 years ago

Really like Helena Seabird! Looked it up on Tinkers w/o seeing additional photos. Looks like a very pretty pale pink, although not described as such. Love the ruffle. Introduced in '03 by Nunan. Safe to assume you get a ton of rebloom in your neck of the woods? Rude to ask I know, but what do DLs cost out your way for such a beautiful newer intro? Are they readily available? We have deer that nibble on our DLs here, do you have any issues with your critters?

• 15 years ago

Although daylilies are growing in popularity here in Australia there are still very few hybridisers. there is also Scott Alexander who is probably the biggest Australian creater. I don't know why but very few of his daylilies are registered. all of his are named with Maleny as the start. Some real beauties too.
    The most you pay for an Australian introduction is about $100.00. The ones above I paid $20.00 for the 1st two and only $8.00 for Helena Seabird. American introdutions are either unavailable for a year or 2 or just prohibitively expensive.
    No critters that eat daylilies here...big ones anyway...thrips and aphid abound, however.
    We are in the first few days of Spring..I live in Florida type climate so yes, tons of rebloom and flowering sporadically throught the year. Seedlings quite often flower in the first year too.My garden is nothing special yet as we only bought this house in March this year and there was no garden apart from a couple of palm trees, so my garden photos will not really be very exciting yet. BUT here is a couple. All blooms are first flower opens.
    Mort's Magic

Aztec Chalice

Jack May

Heart's Glee

The second photo is seductor...juat can't find where to write it amongst all the photobucket code.

• 15 years ago

Hi, All your pictures are lovely. Am partial to the yellow
    ones. That Jack May is a perfect picture. Glad to hear from you all the way from Australia. Thanks so much for sharing.

• 15 years ago

Wow, your gardens are beautiful! I love your color combos!

I can't believe they were that inexpensive. We would be paying a lot more here for those.

• 15 years ago

I love your garden! It looks really special to me.
    kay

• 15 years ago

Lovely dl's and gardens. I've recently been in contact with another DL lover from Melbourne, Australia. He's been doing quite a bit of hybridising and has some gorgeous seedlings. Helena Seabird has been used extensively in his program. Here's a link to a slideshow of his seedlings that he gave me permission to share on the forum.
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Tony's Seedlings Slideshow

• 15 years ago

Hi,

I live in the UK and have a couple of daylilies that I believe are Australian, Courtney Anne and Maleny Tiger. Both are new and haven't flowered for me this year but hopefully next year I will get flowers from them!

Nikki

• 15 years ago

happyjacq,

Just leave some space between the codes and you can type the names above the picture. Hit the "enter" button a couple of times after the code and it will leave a space.

Dot

• 15 years ago

Ok, Now you have to continually feed us with pics during your season. Thanks for now and in advance! Pat