Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
everlastb

where to buy mature hostas

13 years ago

I'm a first time home owner of a foreclosed home that had been neglected for years, maybe decades. The only plants that have survived are gigantic clumps of plain green hostas and the nasty green/white that only look good for the first week that they pop up before they turn nicotine yellow. I only plan on living here for 2 years tops and I would really like to plant some hostas that I might actually get to enjoy before I move. Obviously I dont have anything worth trading and was wondering if there were any resources to find hostas with more than 1-3 eyes. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• 13 years ago

Congrats on your first home!

While I usually advise against buying mature hosta, I can see your point. First, lemme explain that there's a difference between a mature hosta and one with more than 3 eyes. Mature hostas have typically been left in a hole, untouched for more than 3 years.... Some hosta, depending on conditions, could take 10 years or more to mature. The roots cannot mature if a spade is taken to them for moving/division.

Monrovia (the company whose plants are in dark green containers with "Mondrovia" on the sides) sells large divisions of hosta ($40+ a pot), but since they were probably field grown and divided to fit into the pot, their roots will have been severed. They may look good in a pot at the garden center this year, but there's a good chance that transplant shock on a large hosta will be great.

If I were you, I'd look on Craigslist. Since it sounds like you've no intention to stay in this home long, you probably are looking for a quick, yet economical fix. There are people on my local craigslist who will allow you to come and dig out their hosta for nearly free.

Good luck.

• 13 years ago

I appreciate the input. I have checked craigslist and there are plenty of those type ads but they all seem to be the same hostas that I have. I'm looking for maybe 2-3 med-lg blue/yellow hostas like frances williams, pauls glory, etc etc. Also I would like to find an xl hosta like sum and substance. Since I'm new to the whole gardening thing I didn't know if there were any other options for plants besides nurseries.

• 13 years ago

Hornbaker`s sells large clumps, but it`ll cost ya.
    $12 shipping per clump, too. I see the biggest clump of Sum and Substance goes for $50, so that`d be $62 for one big guy.
    If I had the money to throw around, would I?
    In a New York minute, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hornbaker`s

• 13 years ago

Here`s another company selling what they call "super size".
    I have no experience with this company`s reputation, but maybe it will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super+Size+Hosta

• 13 years ago

You've got some great hosta nurseries in Ohio. Wade & Gatton's is near Columbus; they price by the eye and have some larger ones. Peter Ruh's is near Cleveland. Kridler's is in Homeworth, way east, midway north & south. Both Ruh and Kridler are very accommodating but call ahead to see what mature plants they have. And if you're really lucky, some of the Ohioans who post here might have some they want to get rid of!

• 13 years ago

I was just going to suggest W&G and Ruh's. I would start another thread specifically requesting help in your part of Ohio (closest city or whatever) and see if anyone can help you out - either with divisions or suggestions for local nurseries that might have some of the older and more common plants in large containers that woulod not be expensive.

Good luck and congrats!

Alexa

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH