Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

I started my drip irrigation system today! Need advice

14 years ago

...and so far, I'm really liking it!

I started 100 feet of 1/2" line with no pre-installed emitters. I snaked it thru the center of the garden around the hosta and installed 1 gallon emitters on the first 20 (so far) in the line.

From there, I took 1/4" line with pre-installed emitters (12" apart) and branched off to the main line toward the plants that were not yet being watered.

So far, it's going well... I'm mixing products from different lines... Orbit, Rainbird and Raindrip... as each product has a little different appeal.

Anyway, I'm in a quandary:

This is my "NICU" garden (Ken, that's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit--for sick babies and preemies). Anyway, I need to water this garden and do not want to cross the path with irrigation lines. So, instead, I was hoping to have some sort of waterer on the main part of the garden that would spray onto the NICU. But I haven't found anything that would work.... the sprayers I've come across have either been too fine a mist or don't throw far enough. They'd need to throw about 6 feet or so... in a quarter or half circle. The pic below would be for 3 sprayers, but I'm open to doing fewer.

Any thoughts?

Comments (12)

• 14 years ago

Here is my wild idea if there is no other way across the path or spraying overhead.

Lay the irrigation line across the path, to find the area that will cross the path, then get a pipe or hose 1 size larger than the line, making sure it is a bit longer than the widith of the path. Slip it over the line till it covers the part on the path. Now you can dig down to make a small trench for the line with the pipe covering it. You could let the ends go over your black edging or you could notch out a part in the edging for the pipe to go through, which would make it lay flat. Fill in trench
    and put a walking stone over the area which would keep it down and safe.

Even better would be to make a hole in the black edging and string the line through the edging on one side slide the pipe or hose over the line and into the hole then put the rest of the line through a hole in the other black edging across the path. The water would come out of both ends instead of into the pathway. All this in a small trench as well.

It could just work. If not, someone out there is LOL at my ideas. Oh Well.

Betty

• 14 years ago

Thank you Betty, for your well thought out suggestions, but there's a method to my madness.
    See, I'm working on going "edgeless" and "mulchless".

I've already removed edging in all but this section of the garden and I intend to do a little something different in the NICU in the coming years. And with the pain in the butt that it was to set those stones anyway, the last thing I want to do is disturb them, their settings or the soil around them.

Also, the NICU is a transition space. Residents of this garden are not intended to stay long. They grow up strong for a season or two and move out. So, I don't really even want to have irrigation lines in there.

On an up note, I went to Home Depot and I think I have a solution. They're called Shrub Heads. They'd stick up out of the ground (not retract like in a lawn sprinkling system). These SHOULD do the trick.

Crossing fingers!

• 14 years ago

Thanks so much for getting your drip setup going... I'm sure that's the reason we are finally getting some decent rainfall!

• 14 years ago

Glad I could be of some help Jim!
    I was kinda thinking the same thing when I heard it pour at about 6am!

• 14 years ago

all this running on the pressure coming out of one spigot????

at some point.. if not on multiple zones.. you MIGHT run out of pressure to PROPERLY run all your gizmos ...

this might be complicated by your multiple product lines... as predictability of the system is part of the design ...

what that all means .... observe all the emitters and their performance ... just because water is dripping out.. does NOT mean the amount coming out of the first one.. is the same as the amount coming out the last one ... if the first one is working to specs of 1 gal per hour.. the last might be only 1/4 gal ....

make sense???

ken

• 14 years ago

Makes complete sense, Ken, Thanks!

I think in light of this, I will get all my emitters done before I try and install the shrub heads.
    I might have to run those guys on their own zone.

Thanks!

• 14 years ago

EXACTLY >>>>!!!!

ken

• 14 years ago

melissa:

i get edgeless, & my mastery of the english language allows me to define "mulchless", but i don't get it - down here, moisture retention of soil temperature regulation are high priorities - what is the benefit of or attraction to mulchless?

~ freshair

• 14 years ago

freshair:

The attraction of going mulchless is it is no longer necessary to buy 135 bags of mulch and then have to put it out.

I've seen many mulchless gardens that with proper irrigation and with the hostas being mature enough to completely shade the soil, the soil temp doesn't vary much there's little need for weeding measures.

• 14 years ago

lack of mulch also give birds free reign on slug hunting..

no where for the little bat terds to hide ...

or lay their gooooey eggs

ken

• 14 years ago

"little bat terds" - i hope i never get on your bad side, ken - no tellin' what you'll end up calling me

i can see this if your plants all meet/touch - of course, i'm not at the 135-bags-of-mulch point - with my suburban lot, i wouldn't be at the 135 bags point if i gardened the whole yard

~ freshair

• 14 years ago

freshair:
    Yeah, in Dallas, your lots are a whole lot smaller than ours in the Twin Cities. My lot is 100' wide x 150' deep. Of course, it's not ALL garden... yet! LOL