Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Anyone heard of “New Garden Plants” as a vendor?

djacob Z6a SE WI
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

They have a couple varieties I would like to order, but I am leery of the very, very low prices. Anyone had experience with them?

debra

Comments (19)

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago

Never heard of them but I googled it and found a business address in Hudsonville, Michigan, about 10 miles from me. Could this be the one? Google maps show a residence with greenhouses behind it. Went to their website and not sure if they have what I'd be interested in but if it's the place you refer to, I will try to check them out in the future.

I might add that this area is noted for and has many commercial greenhouse businesses and growers.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

I don't know it but it is easy to research. This is an online plant vendor only. Hasn't been around too long and has a very limited presence on Garden Watchdog. Reviews are very mixed, regardless of source - as many negatives as positives. Most have to do with poor customer service if any problems (plant health, mislabeling, substitutions, etc.) arise. One concern was an "F" rating by the Better Business Bureau.

I rarely do any mail order but if I did, this company would not be very high on my list. I'd approach with caution.

ETA: This seems to be a 2 man, mom and pop operation. My assumption is that they are too busy in season to be very responsive to customer issues.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    2 months ago

I like to know the size of the pot they are talking about for advertised plants. For annuals I could easily find this but not for perennials. They called it a pint and I cannot gage that anymore. I wish them luck.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 months ago

do you refuse to share the link... ???

• old_dirt 6a
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I can't seem to post an actual link but I think If you copy and paste this to your browser it will bring you to the one I found. I guess this is a link. :)

www.newgardenplants.com

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked old_dirt 6a
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

" I like to know the size of the pot they are talking about for advertised plants."

Looks like most perennials and vines are sold as quarts or a pot that is approx. 4.5 inches wide and 4-5 inches deep. A pint pot has a 4 inch diameter/width and is slightly less than 4 inches deep.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Old_dirt, thanks for putting the link up. gg, thanks for sharing the reviews you found. Given those reviews especially the one from the BBB, will stay with my other vendors. $10 for a hosta seems too cheap for good plants without being able to see them.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi steve, thanks for the info….you will not be disappointed we Hope Springs Eternal!

debra

• cheryl10_gw_7A_NJ
    2 months ago

I have been ordering from New Garden Plants Online for years. He (Pete) sends beautiful plants. I've never had a problem with anything I have received.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks so much for your info cheryl10……are you a hosta collector? If so join us on the hosta forum.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Steve, I decided to join you on ordering from New Garden Plants, thanks to Cheryl10’s comments. I ordered Heuchera and a coneflower. We shall compare notes and let others know!

debra

• cheryl10_gw_7A_NJ
    2 months ago

djacob, Yes I have about 200 hosta's in my yard. along with perennials, shrubs, and annuals.

I've been reading the hosta forum for years and truly enjoy it. I started ordering from New Garden Plants in 2015. My hosta's come from many of the nursery's that have been mentioned on here.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Well cheryl10, join us and post your beauties, ask and answer questions and play the ABCs with us next 12/26/24. I know I would love to see more beautiful gardens. I often visit the perennial forum as well in the spring and summer. Hope to see you in both forums.

debra

• printesa
    2 months ago

I just placed a large order from them as well. I should get mine the first week of April. I will let you know how the plants make it all the way to Delaware

• Michelle No
    last month

I've been ordering from them for the last two years. Great selection! I haven't had any issues.

• printesa
    20 days ago

I just wanted to give an update. I received my order a few days ago. All the plants were in great condition and much larger than the ones I got from other well known online retailers.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Thanks for that update printesa!! My orders won’t arrive for a while yet, but so happy to hear your order was in good condition.

debra

• nancyveit
    9 days ago

Due to the number of negative reviews I wanted to give an update. I ordered two "Quart" Lenten roses. They arrived in good order, with several sprigs of green leaves and the root bundle moist. I have reordered for several other varieties that are not available in my home nurseries. I was satisfied.