Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
web_of_hair

Habanero plant sick or what? HELP! Dial-up beware...

14 years ago

This is my one yr old Habanero. Last year it didn't produce any peppers it just looked sickly almost the entire year. It grew buds but all of them fell off. It looked healthy towards the end of the year so i took it inside and overwintered it with my Jalabanero. Took it outside and it started to look awesome! Then early this week it started to look sickly and now buds are falling all off again... It hasn't gotten any fertilizer (no more than what's in potting mix) of any kind. The same exact lighting and watering my other plants including the Jalabanero, all of them are doing great.

So do any of you better pepper experts or plant experts see any kind of disease? Any suggestions that might help? I can take other pics to if needed. I kept the image huge so some expert can see it better.

Comments (7)

• 14 years ago

I have a 1 1/2 year old Scotch Bonnet plant which showed the same symptoms as your Habanero plant.

What really jumpstarted my plant was simply adding bone meal to the soil @ about 18g/plant. A week later and the leaves were not only bigger and less curled, but also much healthier looking plant which grew a foot in no time.

When they curl up it can be an indication of lack of nutrition.

Also, make sure you let the soil dry out in-between watering.

Get a small paint brush and hand pollinate your buds when they open morning to mid day. Some will fall off others will turn into nice peppers.

Good Luck!

• 14 years ago

Hi WoH,

Check out the website below. It's not a bad read, and something might jump out at ya'. Be sure to scroll down a few pages; there's photos of some of the ailments.

Speaking of Jalabanero, did that cross finally take for ya'? Seems like I remember you saying it didn't work a few years ago. Did you finally get it to take? If so, what generation are you on?

Good luck.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Maryland IPM (.pdf)

• 14 years ago

I tried a recommendation of Epsom Salt and seeing how that goes. By next week if I do not see any improvement I will try the Bone Meal.

The buds aren't even getting to the flower stage.

rdback: The Jalabanero plant is 4 yrs old now. None of my other attempts at crosses took the last two times I tried, so I gave up on crossing for the moment. Once the Jalabanero fruits this year (this month) I will be more than happy to send you some seeds.

-WoH

• 14 years ago

Habaneros and Scotch Bonnet peppers in particular need good amounts of calcium throughout the growing season. Scatter a few tbsp of bonemeal around the plant [keeping away from the stem], and water in [or even some finely crushed dried eggshells mixed into the soil]. Do this once every 2 weeks until you see the leaves flattening out and looking healthy once again. it shouldnt take more than a month or so. A scattering of epsom salts around the plant wouldn't hurt either, but that's it. stay away from any fertilizers until the plant gets 'back to normal'.

happy growing!

jah

• 14 years ago

No fertilizer? Not even some fish emulsion? Nothing? Your pepper may be starving since it's in a pot and not the ground were roots can spread and seek "nourishment." Most of my peppers are in the ground. Those in pots get Miracle Grow for tomatoes and fish emulsion. I also alternate and use Rose or general Miracle Grow. Pot soil gets depleted rapidly.

• 14 years ago

WoH,

I would be happy to grow out another generation of the Jalabanero, or at least try lol. Just let me know when the seeds are ready.

Thanks for the offer.

Rick

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022