Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

discovered a secret weapon against burning hands

9 years ago

EDIT: IGNORE THIS WHOLE THREAD. I RECENTLY LEARNED MY IDEA WAS A VERY BAD ONE.

I'll cut to the chase. it's denatured alcohol they have it at walmart near the paint stripper and what not. it's essentially everclear (almost pure ethanol) with just enough benzene in it to make it so you can't drink it. it's like flipping a switch it works so fast. EDIT: DON'T FREAKING USE DENATURED ALCOHOL ON YOUR HANDS, I'M AN IDIOT

I was working with douglahs bare handed. my hands were on fire. I know that hand sanitizer works because the alcohol dissolves capsaicin, but it doesn't work all that well, you gotta use a lot, and do it repeatedly. I had some next to the sink from a previous project, so I figured what the heck. and holy crap nothing I've ever tried works better. I went from my hands being absolutely on fire to it being completely gone after a few seconds of rubbing it in.

it dries your hands out like crazy though, so if that type of thing bothers you (it doesn't bother me at all) consider yourself warned.

problem solved.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 22:45

Comments (29)

• 9 years ago

Easier just to buy black nytrel gloves at NAPA
    and process pods responsibly.

• 9 years ago

Just drink some Everclear or 151 proof and you wont think about burning hands at all. :)

Actually, that is a good discovery.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 1:07

• 9 years ago

Judo, that is a fantastic discovery. I wonder if it just calms the burn or nullifies the capsaicin ? Also worth trying other kinds of alcohols, like propyl.

• 9 years ago

I didn't know napa had the black nitriles. my problem is I'm 6'-5" with hands that are huge, even for my height. all I can find at walmart are the one size fits all ones. well, I'm living proof that one size does not fit all.

gloves are always the better option. but you don't always have them.

• 9 years ago

Jason - you process a lot of pods. Find some gloves you can wash with dish soap to get the oils off if you can't find disposable to fit. The denatured alcohol is fine in small doses but it is absorbed through the skin and can be toxic in large amounts (so's the benzene). I use it to cut shellac with and always wear gloves - though I have the opposite problem with fit.

• 9 years ago

I get my gloves from a commercial fishing supply. They are oil proof and last. Im on my 2nd year with a pair now and after dealing with hundreds of Lbs of peppers they have never bled through.
    I will try the alcohol though , sounds like you might have a long awaited remedy to a ongoing problem we all face here .

• 9 years ago

I agree with everyone. The cutting and de-seeding is the only thing I don't like about peppers. The burning seems to last no matter what kind of glove I use. I will give the black glove and alcohol a try. Thanks for the tips.

• 9 years ago

Denatured alcohol is absolute 100% which is cut with something to make it unfit for drinking. It will usually be 95/5 ethanol-adulterant. There are various different grades you can buy which are cut with different solvents, usually either isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), methanol (wood alcohol), or benzene. You should steer clear anything containing benzene, which is very toxic and carcinogenic at very low levels. You don't want to be washing your hands with a 5% solution of benzene. Best would be the 5% isopropanol solution, but more likely you'll find a mixture of isopropanol and methanol.

All of these solvents can be absorbed through the skin and, depending on how long it takes to wash the cap off your hands, you can expect a nice buzz from this technique. But again, consider that this stuff is considered unfit for human consumption, and I'd be leery about absorption of methanol as well, since it is also toxic.

Alex

• 9 years ago

In line with Alex's comment, if if fact alcohol is responsible for getting rid of itch/burn, then one can use a safer form of it ,like rubbing alcohol or how about some vodka ? (drink from your skin. hehe)
    I know that methanol (methyl alcohol = wood alcohol) is very toxic.

• 9 years ago

Rubbing alcohol is also toxic if you drink it since it's been denatured. While it is used as a rub (hence the name) I would think that it would also have adverse effects if used over a large area of the skin and often. Hands shouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure about the frequency. You also have to use it in a well-ventilated place since the vapors are toxic. Best to consult with a doctor and tell him how often you'd be using this. Jason might go through an awful lot considering he's processing large amounts of peppers. The rest of us don't have to worry so much.

• 9 years ago

Get the old school yellow kitchen gloves a/ a glass of scotch a/ start processing. Then proceed to have another scotch every 30mins until finished. This process works like a champ!

Johnny

• 9 years ago

Rubbing alcohol is also toxic if you drink it since it's been denatured.

%%%%%%%%
    Yeah, sure. But we are just talking about using is as as rub to remedy pepper burn ache, not as drink.

• 9 years ago

Anyone use the dip-your-fingers-in-oil method?

It works for me, but then I'm not doing it professionally...

Dennis

• 9 years ago

seysonn - you suggested rubbing alcohol was safer and methanol was toxic, just wanted to clarify that rubbing alcohol is also toxic, more akin to methanol than to vodka. It's made to be put on skin and is less toxic than the solvent used to mix stains and varnishes, but I'd still be careful about applying it often or to large areas of skin, and definitely is not safe to ingest so must be handled carefully around food.

Rubbing alcohol can be used to test the pectin level of fruit juice, but even that minute amount must not be added back to the pot, and the utensils used to measure and mix it must be washed before using again (or disposed of). I don't even use my measuring spoons when I test for pectin - I use a plastic medicine cup like comes with cough syrup and reserve it for alcohol use only (I keep it with the bottle), and store out of the kitchen and out of reach of children. I use a disposable cup and fork (to see the flakes better) and throw those away, I don't dump the mixture down the drain.

Jason - I just thought of it now, having that (or even rubbing alcohol) in the kitchen may cause you to fail an inspection, best to use hand sanitizer or food-grade alcohol if you can't find gloves.

• 9 years ago

I love this forum. I learn new things.

I'll just get a bottle of everclear. in case you're wondering everclear was involved the time my beard ACTUALLY caught on fire. I don't make the best decisions while drunk...

I mean really gloves are the answer, but things don't always go as planned. I don't mind burning hands while I'm working with peppers, it's a strong reminder not to touch my face. but the alcohol proved useful after I was finished and needed to pee, and wanted to aim.

• 9 years ago

Troops, I'm on my company's safety committee and I have some input on this, click on this link.>Klean Strip Denatured Alcohol. In reviewing the >Safety Data Sheet it reads, "Skin: Remove contaminated clothing. Wash affected area with plenty of soap and water. If irritation persists, seek medical attention." So you're washing the burn off then need to wash the burn remover off?

My recommendation is from this SDS sheet on what to wear when using Denatured Alcohol and other members above on preventing " Da Burn!": 'Use impervious gloves made of butyl rubber or PVC.". The cheap-o latex & nitrile don't cut the mustard unless the MIL thickness is increased beyond whats generally available.

• 9 years ago

I always start out by cutting the gloves... Maybe use cut-proof gloves over nitrile?

• 9 years ago

Posted by DMForcier 8 DFW (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 17, 14 at 21:11

I always start out by cutting the gloves... Maybe use cut-proof gloves over nitrile?
    %%%%%%%%%

That has happened to me. I don't like wearing gloves unless I am working with things like concrete blocks , cement etc. They are just too abrasive on my hands. Never wear gloves gardening, woodworking, or anything around the house.
    With the peppers, my hands can take it. The problem is when I forget to wash my hands and then touch my other body parts. hahaha

• 9 years ago

Used Kleen-Strip DN alcohol for years to clean HVLP spray guns of WB lacquer with no ill effects. I also use it for cuts and other injuries. Just use common sense, and dampen a rag with it, and rub the affected area, just like removing paint.
    Everything is toxic, including life...

• 9 years ago

Hmmm. Has anyone tried potable, legally sold moonshine for the purpose under discussion? Just an idea that may or may not work. If it fails to provide relief there are other ways to dispose of the opened bottle.

• 9 years ago

Agree, Tom & nandina

I'll just use my old 80 proof vodka without any ill effects. Thous I am sure medical rubbing alcohol shouldn't be a problem. This is just occasional thing we are talking about not a daily routine.

BTW: when pepper is burning my mouth, when I take a sip of wine, it also seems to have some effects. Maybe alcohol is better than dairy. Or as good as dairy.

• 9 years ago

I'm assuming it is (or will be soon after he finishes BPCS) a daily occurrence for Jason, hence my concern. Also the issue of having it in the commercial kitchen - would you want to buy hot sauce from someone who had been using methanol in their kitchen?

But vodka, Everclear, etc. shouldn't be a problem.

I don't eat very hot peppers - but eating rice or bread seems to work better than drinking anything. Of course that won't work on hands. Carbonated beverages seem to make the burn worse.

• 9 years ago

My hands are also huge and the Napa gloves suit the task favorably.

• 9 years ago

I'm all in favor of training monkeys to seed peppers. They got little hands and they'll work for peanuts...

• 9 years ago

so yeah, I'm gonna have to say that I'm an idiot, and probably shouldn't (and therefore won't) use denatured alcohol ever again.

it's worth mentioning that it never came anywhere near any peppers. I'm gonna try and find out if there's a way to get the thread deleted so people don't decide to follow what is clearly not a good idea. I'll just get some everclear and some gloves.

• 9 years ago

Yeah. but monkeys also pick their noses and play with their privates, so they wouldn't be on the job for long.

Too bad, though.
    ---

judo, just edit your original post.

• 9 years ago

And fling poo - anyone see "Madagascar" LOL?

We'd all have to edit our posts though to delete references to using it (for or against). Easier to ask the moderator to delete the whole thread if that's what you want.

I dunno - maybe it's good to leave the discussion up with all the reasons why it's a bad idea (not to make you feel bad, Jason)?

• 9 years ago

hey, I have no problem with learning from my mistakes. and I am all in favor of others learning from them. I edited my original post to warn people to disregard my idea.

• 9 years ago

I wouldn't use that term Jason, I'd say uninformed.

It is true that in small amounts of intermittent use by any of these "cleaners" is not harmful. We use Isopropyl alcohol on a regular basis because of it's attributes noted it the Wiki article, "Isopropyl alcohol dissolves a wide range of non-polar compounds. It also evaporates quickly, leaves nearly zero oil traces" but it is still listed as a "skin irritant" and requires gloves to be used in our facility.

Why use anything harmful in any amount when a safe alternative is available? Those little Pre-Moistened Towelettes are available with and without alcohol, you have a choice!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm