Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

First tomato seeds sprouted in only 4 days

14 years ago

I planted five varieties of seeds. Sun Gold. Super Sweet 100, and Black Krim already sprouted. Ace 55 VF and Yellow Perfection haven't sprouted yet. The first three I had on a heat mat. The last two I had in my oven, where the pilot light keeps it at around 100 degrees inside, or around 85 if I prop the door open slightly. I used this Promix that is supposed to have some bacteria in it that kills fungus, and covered the seeds with pure vermiculite. The Yellow Perfection seeds are seven years old, all the rest are from last year.

I immediately put the sprouted seedlings out on the patio in the full sun, its about 60 degrees outside. I find that if one immediately put sprouted seedlings out in full sun they don't get sunburn, and it stops them from getting too lanky.

Comments (14)

• 14 years ago

I suspect you may have cooked the two varieties you put in the oven. Temps between 85 and 100 are pretty tough on germinating tomato seeds. Additionally, tomato seeds seven years old will have extremely low viability even if a few of them germinate.

• 14 years ago

I immediately put the sprouted seedlings out on the patio in the full sun, its about 60 degrees outside. I find that if one immediately put sprouted seedlings out in full sun they don't get sunburn

Good luck with that. I find just the opposite. There's no way newly sprouted seedlings can tolerate full sun here.

Dave

• 14 years ago

If one had direct seeded the tomato seed in the garden when it sprouted it would immediately be in full sun as soon as the sun came up. I rest my case.

• 14 years ago

Yep and they'd likely get sunburned. Which is one reason why few if any folks direct seed tomatoes. ;) But hey! if it works for you, go for it.

Dave

• 14 years ago

Dave, there are a lot of farmers that still direct seed tomatoes, working with transplants will give them more consistant results but that's about it. I only sprout my toms outside, all my seeds outside. Sprouting outside has a different effect than sprouting inside. Indoor seedlings are generally very weak, but outside they are quite a bit tougher.

• 14 years ago

I think the key to successfully putting new seedlings in full sun is the word "Immediately". As soon as the plant is visible. At that time, it still has some food reserves from the seed, which may help it deal with the sudden demands of photosynthesis. If your climate allows you to move them outdoors immediately, go for it. Otherwise, gradual introduction of older seedlings to direct sunlight is the way to go.

I start melons and cukes indoors and immediately plant them outdoors, as soon as their little seed leaves are visible, before they have true leaves. Works great.

• 14 years ago

Just an observation that the "volunteers" outside in cracks in my redwood deck look strong and bright green, whereas the seedlings I started are much more fragile and much lighter green. I am going to put me seedling tray out in the Sun as much as I can (temps in the mid-60s here now) as the volunteers are a glowing example of full Sun exposure.

Raybo

• 14 years ago

I'll trade weather with you guys in California. My tomato cage is ready.Click to enlarge.

• 14 years ago

Speaking of germination...After 7 days, i'm already over 90% and approaching perfect germination. Out of 100 seeds, I have 91 plants, 20 or so of which have already been yanked like a weak Spartan, with my normal thinning out process. Only the strongest will survive to produce maters! =)

• 14 years ago

jealous jealous jealous -

we don't have as much snow as helen, but we will before too long:)

• 14 years ago

Ditto austinnhanasmom's comment. It'll be about 10 weeks before I start my mater babies. Have not really even started my list as that helps me avoid the temptation to plant early. (Besides, I have a medical terminology, biology and sociology exams to study for. But I would much rather study my seed list....)

It is snowing here right now.

Bets

• 14 years ago

Today is 25 degrees and sunny, I actually went out to poke around in the garden, but that 12" of snow on the ground didn't let me see too much. I ordered all the seeds yesterday, and the tomatoes won't be planted until the 1st of April to plant out in mid May. I always start them on heat mats under lights in the basement and get excellent germination. I always plant two seeds where I only need one, just in case, and it kills me to pull those extra little darlin's!

• 14 years ago

Followup on my original post. The seed I had in the oven weren't cooked, they just took two or three days later to sprout. Seven of the eight Ace 55s germinated, and four of the eight Yellow perfection seeds from 2002 sprouted.
    BTW, I have several packets of seeds from 2002 that still seem to be sprouting, but they take a bit longer than fresh seed and only have a 50% germination rate. They are Pennington brand, certified organic, and were grown by Genesis seeds in Israel. I have Chadwick Cherry, Fox Cherry, Moneymaker, and Matina. If anyone wants to take a chance on eight year old seeds and has any Neves Azorian or Black Ethiopian or just about any Black Tomato Seeds to trade let me know. I will trade you a whole unopened pack for about ten of the seeds I mentioned.

• 14 years ago

9 days from seed in dirt now. 92% germination rate so far, thinned out/pulled about 50 weak ones & just finished potting up 20 out of what will be the final 25 plants. :) Only the Sweet Millions are lacking in size enough to where i'll let them grow a few more days before potting up.