Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Tally Ho! Literally....

17 years ago

I wish I could say "I'm sorry to tell you..."

But in all reality, I'm jazzed, I'm excited, my husband received notice that we're being transferred to London! Granted Texas has been a great gardening adventure for me, but I can't help but tell you I was flipping through a bulb catalog and drooling over tulips last week. (Just think, next spring, I could actually go to Holland and see the tulip fields myself!)

We're here for at least another 60 days, but things move fast with these transfers, so I'll be fairly sparse here. Gotta' sell the house, cars, sort out what goes in storage, gets donated, gets moved, go house-hunting, find the kids school, plus fit in all our previous summer committments of Bible School, swimming lessons, going to visit relatives in Illinois, etc. I know we'll have to downsize, won't own, and probably have a lot less control over our yard (if we have any), but we can't pass this opportunity up.

I'm so excited. Please be excited with me! I'll still check in, but if you don't hear from me for a while, don't worry. Just know that I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off!

Comments (15)

• 17 years ago

BOBBI>>>>WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    I am REALLY going to miss you but I AM excited for you
    OMG, you ARE going to be running around like a chicken with your head chopped off, lol
    How very, very exciting.....woohoo
    Even when you move and settle in, you better check in and send pics of your pretty English garden

• 17 years ago

Congrats, London has a lot of neat stuff and you'll enjoy traveling Europe. We'll save a spot for you here in texas though.

Joe

• 17 years ago

Ohhh, I am so jealous, I am almost speechless!! Hehe...

You are going to have the best time, some of the most beautiful gardens in the world are in England. And all the castles and old villages with thatch-roofed houses, and the history of it all. And you can visit Scotland and Ireland and lots of other countries.

I hope you will post tons of pictures!!

• 17 years ago

English Gardens!

including Blenheim Palace (where Winston Churchill, my fave English idol, was born)
    I am green with envy.

Have a good time, take lots of pics, write down everything, keep us up to date here on the ole homeplace....

& don't drool on the tulips:
    Them people over there might think you was a graceless Texan.

(But go ahead & holler "Woo Hoo" any time. gotta keep up our image.)

Here is a link that might be useful: English Gardens

• 17 years ago

Too exciting! At least our weather is getting you ready. How do you like hot beer?
    Tally HO from Tally ho!

• 17 years ago

Wow! Have a good time! My goodness you do have a lot to do in a short time. PJ

• 17 years ago

Bobbi, what an adventure!

We'll sure miss you. Be sure and pop in once in a while to tell us what gardening is like there and post lots of pics.

Carol

• 17 years ago

That's awesome! My sister just returnd from a vacation in Scotland (we are of the Clan McLeod - really!!), and I'm wanting to actually go live there! I've always said I would only live in Texas....but, Scotland is the one other place I'd consider.

I'm very excited for you to have this opportunity - I couldn't imagine having only 60 days to complete all I would have to do though!!

God bless!

• 17 years ago

Bobbi - you've got to get over to the Antique Rose Forum and ask for Jon_in_Wessex. He's a rose-grower and photographer in England, takes photos of the ancient rose gardens there as well as his backyard.

He'll give you a welcome and some pointers, no doubt.

My niece lived in London for 3 years, and loved it. She was a substitute teacher.

• 17 years ago

Yes, green with envy is the perfect description of how I feel. Lucky You! Do you know how long you ill live there? Or is this a permanent move?

• 17 years ago

That is definately exciting! We'll miss you, but you can still check in with us from over there. What a wonderful experience it will be. Hey, maybe you can go to Chelsea, if you can stand the crowds.

Sally

• 17 years ago

Cool. Or cooler, anyway. (smile)

Take advantage of the opportunity to travel in Europe while you are there. Highly recommend Holland, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Norway, Sweden. France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Czech Republic also good.

Much to see, while the opportunity presents itself.

Drive times by auto: Kaiserslautern, Germany to Amsterdam.....about six hours. Frankfort, Germany to Paris.....about 4 hours. Paris to Orleans.....1 1/2 hrs. Paris to Salzburg, Austria......about 9 hours.

You can cover a lot of ground by car, in a relatively short time. If you travel by train (European trains are very efficient), only take carry on luggage. Checked baggage can get delayed in customs for days, between countries.

See as much as your time and budget will allow. You never know if you will ever get there again.

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes! We fully intend to take advantage of the travel opportunities. We learned firsthand the hard way when we visited France, UK, and Ireland in 1999 that you really should just pack a backpack! (I know why they wear those same wool sweaters over and over!)

Warm beer ok, but at least it will be darker than Shiner Bock! Back to those stouts and porters of the cooler climates.

Back to the tasks at hand....

I'll check in sporadically.

• 17 years ago

You know what else this means?? ROAD TRIP! We'll all have to come visit you! And those rose gardens so we can drool and be even more jealous.
    Get off the computer and get packing!
    Tally HO!

• 17 years ago

Sign me up for the road trip!