Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

What's growing/blooming/fruiting?

16 years ago

Spring is wonderful...but Ohio seems to be going backwards all of a sudden. Cold temps and rain rain rain. This is April weather for Ohio. Worked hard to get the garden in last weekend and now with overnight temps in the 40's, they won't die, but they certainly won't be growing either.

But it's always spring and summer in the greenhouse... especially if the sun is shining. While I normally have growth flushes during the winter, it's nothing like this time of the year. The tamarind was looking just awful and finally has pushed all the old, ugly leaves off with new, blemish-free leaves. Nice and thick...nothing like that old pic of Lisa's plant, but good.

All garcinia varieties have been non-stop with flushes. Push hard! Dragon fruit continues to send out new branches. I think it will soon over take the greenhouse. No blooms yet though. Bananas continue to try and grow thru the top of the greenhouse. Dwarf? The dwarf cavendish has bloomed and forming nanas. Jak is in the fast lane again. Sapodilla flushing and blooming. Maybe this year it will develop fruit?

After a very hard pruning of my nam doc mai, it is starting to flush nicely. I guess it's just too much to ask for bloom spikes to push thru. Wax jambu is filling out nicely after getting the thrips taken care of. This was one of their favorite plants. It is sending out a few blooms.

Lisa...if ya know any tricks on getting the Persian Lime to get in gear and bloom, I'm all ears.

Another pic of the grumichama. Only a few fruit left on the plant. I will prune it back some and repot. It's quite rootbound at the moment.

Wax jambu sending out a few blooms. There is one other set at this time. Hoping for a few more. Last year it bloomed/fruited for the first time. The fruit dropped before fully developed and ripe so the taste was a little disappointing. It is supposed to be red and very sweet. We'll see.

Tamarind. Much bigger than the picture gives credit to. The trunk is nearly 3" in diameter. Bloomed last year. Maybe will develop fruit this year?

Lemon quava blooming. There's been one marble sized fruit on the plant for the last several months. Maybe in a year or two it will ripen up!

Ahhh...one lonely female sugar apple bloom. All the males are closed up or no where to be found. Sort of like a high school dance eh? A source of frustration as my other post points out.

Dwarf cavendish blooming. The tiny bananas already look as large as the nam wah bananas fully developed! Hey SB, how are your nam wah's doing? They should be taking up quite a bit of space by now.

Painfully slow going. Just waaaayyy too long to get just one fruit. Won't be replanted. This is sort of like my miracle fruit plant. Lots of blooms, only a fruit here and there spead out over months. The novelty of this plant is wearing off very fast.

Sapodilla bloom. This seems to be as far as any of the flowers have ever opened. Has anyone's opened up more than this? I've not seen one. This Alano is supposed to be self-fruiting. I'm hoping that the no fruit problem has just been a maturity issue. I need to find a method of communicating to my plants that they either perform or hit the road!

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The tamarind looks fantastic. You might try not fertilizing the lime to get it to fruit, or girdle it or smack it with a stick. The Alano is absolutely self pollinating. Mine has gotten over 7' tall, has fruit in various stages, and is in full flower and flush. I think I had a low hanging fruit disappear though. Another is close to ripe.

Flowering: American Beauty dragonfruit, Makok sapodilla, persimmons, various citrus, canistel, sugar apple, 5 muscadine vars.

With fruit: muntingia, peaches, plums, mombin, mulberries, barbados cherry, 2 avocados, 6 pineapple vars, phillippine mango, various bananas, macadamia (first crop!), atemoya, purple passionfruit, ambarella, Dark Zill surinam cherry.

New plants: 4 blueberry varieties (8 plants) in my 42' long blueberry bed I made last fall. Added Gulf Blaze and Gulf Beauty plums to go with my Gulf Rose and Plumcot hybrid, to hopefully get good cross pollination. Choc Anon and Lancetilla mangos. IFAS Green Sapote.

My sweetheart lychee has just started a big growth flush, along with some mangos. Its getting 90F and over a lot, so the trees will start growing fast. If we could only get some rain.

Gary

• 16 years ago

Thanks Gary. Good to know about my Alano. I believe your's is a year or two older than mine. So you think it is just a maturity issue? I've not figured out how to attempt hand pollinating that since the flowers don't really open up!

Would like to see some pics when you get a chance. How about your Jak? Anything going on with it? Is the fire down there affecting you at all?

• 16 years ago

Nice pics Jay. I just bought a Grumichama and I'm excited to see how it tastes...your fruit looks appetizing. Gary is right: your tamarind is a beauty. You mentioned in another post your sugar apple. I have a green one. It just put out new growth 3 days ago. It was planted in the late summer '07. I almost yanked it because my atemoyas and cherimoya were flushing like crazy and I thought it was dead/dying! But I decided to keep giving it water and it finally emerged!
    Gary...42' of blueberries...wow! I need to plant more: I have a 2 year old son who gives me a cute smile and in return I give him all of the blueberries off of my 3 small plants. He LOVES them. It works out great for him though. : )

• 16 years ago

Jay, try twisting a brush in there when its open like in your pics, and going flower to flower. Since you don't have lots of bug opporunities in your GH, maybe that'll work. I get tons of pollinating insects on my property since I'm a low to no pesticide user.

BP, I hope I don't end up with a bunch of dead blueberries, but am trying to do what I can to give them what they like. Keep us informed on your cherimoya, that'll be interesting. I got (what I think are) a couple of soursops that I'm excited about if they get big enough to produce, and a few other sugar apple vars which might be interesting when mature.

Forgot to mention I have a decent amount of figs in fruit.

Gary

• 16 years ago

Jay, all your trees look really GREAT!! I can't believe you are doing all that in a greenhouse. Terrific job!
    Thanks for the great pics...

• 16 years ago

A wonderful collection of plants/trees, and great pics too!