Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vindivino

aga 6-4, torn?

16 years ago

I am considering an AGA 6-4 floor model that has been on the floor for over three years. First, it will be our only range/oven and we are concerned the ovens are not large enough. Does anyone have any experience with this range? Also, i was a little turned off by the plasticy looking controls on the range, has anyone had any issues with them? Lastly, the ranges new are in the mid 8K range, the salesman first offer to me was in around $5800, what should i offer for a fair and reasonable price for the both of us?

Great forum, thanks in advance for any advice......

Jeff

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I guess you've already have done a search. I might suggest providing more information about how you cook, and what your expectations are.

• 16 years ago

Our cooking habits:

We are not accomplished chef's but we do enjoy cooking. That being said most of our preperation is done stove top and any large things are usually in the smoker or on the grill. We do frozen pizza maybe once a month or so and the fact that it may not fit in a 6-4 concerns me. I've done as much searching as possible & the information is few and far between. I guess i am looking for some hands on information from other 6-4 owners/users. The place we may get it from is about 1 1/2 hours away so i can't just run to the store and check out things here and there.

If we don't AGA we are thinking Wolf/Viking/BlueStar....Megan has always wanted an Aga and i must say they make some attractive ranges to match up with our old house.

thanks again for any information.

jeff

• 16 years ago

FWIW, here's my thoughts on the Aga 6-4 (and why I've backed away from wanting an Aga):

I love the look of the Aga (and all those pretty colors!) so I very seriously considered it before deciding to go a different route. Here are the reasons I decided against it: (1) Although on a regular basis the smaller ovens are probably fine, there ARE times when I actually use and need a larger oven -- turkey time, party time, cookie baking times. In our previous house, we had a 30" double oven and there were definitely times when I had both ovens full, the microwave going, and at least 4 burners working on the cooktop. Now that's not everyday and maybe I could live without that versatility, but since I'm taking the kitchen down to the studs and starting over, why not pick appliances that will cover all of my needs (and seriously, if I'm going to spend $5k + on a range, it better hold my darn turkey and the fixins, too). (2) I didn't like the heavy cast iron doors when I tried to open and close them at the store. It seemed like it would be fairly difficult to lift the door up and open and get the stuff in and out while protecting the dog and my little ones from the ovens. (3) Having worked on a continuous-grate cooktop with sealed burners in a sealed pan, I really didn't like the burner grates and separate burner pans. Again, why settle at that price? (4) The odd European size will leave an awkward hole in my kitchen should it turn out to be a lemon, or when it just breaks and I have to replace it. I want to be able to replace appliances without having to tear out my cabinets and start over again (once is really enough for that).

When I decided I wanted to go with something that would be a standard American size, I knew I did not want a 30" because I really wanted a bigger cooktop (we do a lot on the cooktop). I also knew from my prior house that I really wanted two ovens (I used them both regularly, although the bottom one was most often used to warm bread or a side dish). Because I love the look, I then looked at the Aga Legacy in a 36". I LOVED the look of the "Vintage White," and I ALMOST bought this one, with the plan to add a separate 27" or 30" oven under a counter somewhere. Once again, though, I just didn't like the burner grates, and the knobs felt like cheap plastic that would break easily. Plus, if I went with the Legacy, I would have to make room for another 30" oven somewhere, in addition to the 36" of range space. If, on the other hand, I went with a 48" range, I would get the benefit of a standard (albeit high-end) American size, the Aga's smaller oven for daily use, plus have a second larger oven, the continuous grates I love, and a griddle (yippee!). I would get all this by dedicating only an additional 12" instead of 30" of space to cooking appliances.

Right now, I have narrowed my choice to two 48" ranges, both of which have paint options: the five star (priced in the $5-$6K range with one electric and one gas oven) or the American Range, which is about $1200 more (assuming you want a color and not SS) for an all-gas.

I considered and ruled out Viking, Wolf and Bluestar for the following reasons: Viking (very cute) and Bluestar are notorious for getting hot to the touch and I have little ones to worry about. I'm also a bit of a klutz and don't want to burn my belly while I'm stirring pots. Viking and Wolf have both been sold from their original manufacturers to new companies, and quality for both has reportedly gone down hill since then. I don't want to drop thousands on an appliance only to buy a headache, so I'd rather not risk it.

HTH

• 16 years ago

Hi Jeff,

Check out the link,I've attached below. Although I imagine you may have already stumbled upon it in your search, I think you will find it to be quite relevant and helpful if you have not.

Just so you know, I was in the same quandary as you for a hot moment; I ended buying a brand new Aga 6-4 instead of a 4-year-old floor model. BTW, the new model has several new retrofits, including new, weightier chrome infill knobs which address that "plasticy looking controls" problem. I can't help you much with assessing the functionality of the oven sizes. As a single, empty nester, the small multiple ovens work a charm for my lifestyle! Unfortunately, mine won't arrive and be ready for installation until the late winter, early spring so I can't tell you anything about its performance. However, from the bit of feedback I've received from other 6-4 owners, I have every confidence that I made a great decision and I can't wait to get cooking on it! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Would You Buy This Floor Model?

• 13 years ago

I own a 6-4 and I simply don't like it. The size of the ovens are an inconvenience, but I knew that when I made the purchase. What I don't like is that the ovens don't bake or roast evenly, which I think is due to their size.

Now that I have built out my kitchen to 100cm and there aren't any domestic alternatives, I am pretty much stuck with it until I can afford another renovation.

• 3 years ago

I have had an AGA 6/4 for the last 10 year. And I hate it. I had a 1952 Chambers before that which i loved.

The AGA's ovens are small-the largest turkey I can get in is 12 -13lbs. They heat unevenly.

I have had to replace a knob. The knobs are at an angle to the cook top and get dirty when cooking. i also had to replace the clock which died. it controls the convection oven. That oven is not as deep as the roasting oven because of the fan at the back. i would replace the stove but it is 38 and 3/8"-would have to do major work to do so.

The best thing about the stove is its looks. That's it. get something else.