Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obwannab

Revised floorplan w/ pic. Additional input requested.

16 years ago

First thanks for the great input we got on my last post regarding our plan. We've made a number of the changes, and I've included the updated draft. The biggest critique was the flow through the kitchen. We've tried to address that as best we can, and I think made a really good improvement to the plan based on ya'lls input. Thanks!

The kitchen layout remains a work in progress. And after lots of great input, and twisting and turning things, I'm still not totally happy with that aspect of the design.

That said, here's the latest. I would genuinely appreciate any additional comments! Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1399722}}

Comments (21)

• 16 years ago

I couldn't find your original post. I like it, but I'd want to re-orient the kitchen so that it is more open to the dining room and less open to the living room. I prefer food areas to be food areas. Especially since:

1. It looks like you have a big doorway AND a pass-thru to the dining room anyway.

2. It doesn't look like you have enough seating in the kitchen for casual meals.

3. You have only one living room/family room area (which I think is a positive, but I wouldn't want my single living room-type area wide open to the kitchen).

Overall, I really like it. You might want to post a version where the dimensions can be more easily read.

• 16 years ago

I tried to imagine making breakfast in that kitchen, and my mental image got tired of walking around that island! Maybe it's better in real life, but I think having a fridge centralized is a pain -- either from the sink or from the stove, the fridge door is going to be hinged on the wrong side. Plus I personally don't like pot-filler faucets over the stove, but without one, you'd have to carry filled pots around the island to get to the sink. Now that I think of it, after it's cooked, you'll going to carry that hot full pot [think pasta] around the island and over to the sink, anyhow.

Umm, is the kitchen open with a cathedral ceiling shared with the living room? This sounds dumb, but if it is, what happens when somebody burns the bacon?? Stop laughing at me, and think about it! That greasy smoke is going to go somewhere, and I wouldn't want to be the one on the ladder cleaning bacon-y beams. And where does the smell go when you cook fish?

And are you really such a fastidious neatnik in the kitchen that it will always look good when guests are in the LR? To someone like me, that's an impossible goal. Sorry, I know I didn't help you... I think I'm going back to my real-life kitchen and close the door.

• 16 years ago

I'd want a powder room near the garage entrance.

Could you make your Kitchen and DR into one open room and wall off the Great Room? I assume you will eat in the DR all the time, as I see no eating space in the kitchen itself. (And, yes, the K needs work.)

I'd want the Master bath toilet room on an outside wall and the shower inside.

• 16 years ago

Solie, We've thought about reorienting it like you suggest. But, I feel that it would throw off the orientation with the central cathedral beam to face the kitchen the other way. It would make for a much more functional design though.

What is shown as the dining room, is actually meant to be the one main dining area, casual or otherwise. We are attempting to eliminate rooms we don't use, like formal dining rooms, and compensated by making a *larger* single dining area. If I could link to a pdf file, I'd be able to link to a much higher res image. Don't have a website though.

Meldy_nva, We just won't cook bacon. ;) We are still considering not doing that one big cathedral. I have many of the same concerns. There are many things I've been called before, but Fastidious Neatnik, is not among them. Point well taken.

Chisue, We could. It's an interesting idea. but we are going for a more open feel. That said, reorienting it, and dropping a divider treatment from the ceiling might be an option. Why would you prefer the shower on an inside wall?

Do you have any specific recommendations for the kitchen?

Thanks, ya'll!

• 16 years ago

I can't really see the plan that well but is that an island in the middle of the kitchen and another island with a sink further out? Your island with the curve and sink looks alot like mine. Your layout of an open kitchen to the living area and beams is also like mine. We purposely chose a floorplan like this. We also eliminated lots of rooms and formal living areas. We like it alot. Some people like the rooms divided, we don't. I will say that there is a small issue with food smells but they mostly float up into our stairwell. Since you don't have an upper floor, you won't have that problem. The beams are nice and clean, thank you! Don't you guys that burn bacon have a hood vent? LOL!

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I love open floorplans. I wish I could help better with the kitchen layout. The only thing I could think of would be to get rid of the middle island, pull in the curved one and make a small breakfast table area.

You've probably seen my house but I'll link the plan below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Plan

• 16 years ago

Add one more vote to get rid of the center kitchen island. If you need more countertop space, you might want to consider an L- or V-shaped island -- both great for prepping and visiting.

• 16 years ago

Re: Shower inside wall; Toilet Room outside wall. I like a window in a toilet room. Inside, it's a bit like a privy. It seems a shame to waste a possible source of natural light (window) by putting a shower on an outside wall. We live in a cold climate and the shower is warmer on an inside wall.

• 16 years ago

Ok, I guess I'm the oddball. If/when we get our house started, my kitchen will have a center island, with a small bar sink at the end of it. My sister and I bake a lot and we need that surface. I can't wait to get mine. Not having one for me, has been a pain in the you know what. Just how we roll...literally! LOL! (For the record, she's the better baker!) The 2nd island will house my sinks, dw, another garbage area, etc. It will also have bar stools on the other side to be used as a casual eating area, even though we will have a separate eating area. Also, I don't have an open kitchen now and I can't stand that either. I miss out on who really hit who and all of the other family fun that is going on in our family room! Ha!

I think your plan is looking great, but I'm not an expert or experienced as most here. Other suggestions:

I would just switch the mbath toilet to the other wall maybe to save plumbing costs, since it would be on the same wall as the pwdr. bath toilet?

Maybe try to squeeze a powder room if you can near the steps near the mudroom/laundry room area?

Will you have a great view? If so, I would maybe think about moving the fireplace to a different wall. I always find it distracting to a great view if the fireplace slices it in half. Just me though.

Also, in that shared bathroom by the bedrooms, I would probably arrange the sinks separate from the tub/toilet area in that shared bathroom, but again, that is just our personal preference. Our boys can't stand to be near each other when trying to get washed or brushing their teeth and someone else is well, you know. Sharing has never been big around here and when it involves more than just a bacon smell...I won't go gross here. Let's just say it gets ugly! LOL! Would you run into those sharing problems too? I do know most here hate their jack and jill style baths, but I think this arrangement will work for us and it is a better twist on the true jack n jill, esp. since we are using pocket doors without locks to that area, then a separate door to toilet/shower. Just something to think about.

Looks like you are almost there! Good luck!

• 16 years ago

I like the new back hall behind the kitchen. :-)

I still vote STRONGLY for a prep sink in the center island.

Quick thoughts:
    1) To the left of the fridge (as you look at the plan), I would put the ovens next to the wall, then a microwave up with counter underneath, and then fridge. The counter on the other side of the fridge could be a beverage area, desk, or cookbook spot.

2) I would put the DW on the other side of the sink and make the counter and storage by the dining room into dish storage.

3) I'd put the door to the master on this end, so if the kids need you in the night, it's not so far.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions! I've tried to incorporate many of them into another layout. I cleaned up the helterkelter hallway, and closed off one doorway to the kitchen, allowing me to move the oven. This also allowed for a more open dining area.

I reoriented the island, and added a bistro type table to provide another eating area. I also got rid of the smaller island. Along with that I think I'd move the rangetop behind the sink, and maybe out the RF in the corner and the oven on the other wall?

Down here in TX, the outside shower is not as big a deal, though I see how it might be up North.

We'd love to have a powder room in the back, but we couldn't squeeze it in, the one in the front was created out of closet space as it was.

We are very much going for the open feel. I hate closed in spaces. There's not a great view outside, at least not one the fireplace will ruin.

What do ya'll think? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1399723}}

• 16 years ago

I'm not sure I like this orientation. I know others encouraged it, so maybe I'm in the minority. But when you're in the kitchen, what do you want to look at...the dining room or the people and activity in the living room? Now the living room view of the kitchen is the side of the work area instead of a nice bar border.

I definitely think the fridge should be somewhere other than directly behind the sink. Probably toward the living room.

I also think it's a long way from the kids' bedrooms to the kitchen for breakfast. I liked the back hall so they could get to and from the laundry and garage without going through the kitchen, but I did like the opening there.

I'm still concerned about how far it is to get to the kids from the master bedroom door to tend them when they're sick, if they've had a nightmare, or, what we always hope won't happen, an emergency.

• 16 years ago

I'd use closets in the utility room to store bulk and make that 'pantry' into a toilet and sink.

This is one HUGE kitchen. Do you even need a 'pantry'? (I like the new Kit/DR orientation better.)

• 16 years ago

I would go back to the first kitchen plan, but make it just one larger center island. Maybe a square with overhang to the living room side. I'd also open it up some to the dining like you did in your second drawing. The more open allows you to expand the dining area in case you need it temporarily.

• 16 years ago

I really like the latest drawing of the kitchen. I love your plan! Where abouts are you in Texas? We are building central Texas. Anyway back to the plan. I really like how open everything is with your last drawing!!

Good luck with the design. I can't wait to see what the end result will be!

Kelly

• 16 years ago

Rhome410,

I can really go either way on the orientation. Unfortunately, DW saw me playing with it, and loves it. While I wouldn't categorize the view out the back as amazing, it is on a couple of acres, with a ridgeline off in the distance. So, maybe it will be nice to look out that way.

I moved the RF over to the other wall. I'm really happy about the back hall. I think that improves flow dramatically. I also robbed some space from the Utility and Resource rooms to make a little bit wider hallway.

We really want the doorway to the MSTR in the back. The issues you raise are certainly valid. We have the kids on monitors right now anyway, for the time being I think we'll probably continue with that. Long term, I'd rather be further away from them.

Chisue, We are putting pantry type cabs on either side of the RF to keep from having to walk into the pantry on a day to day basis. BUT, DW really wants a pantry. The powder room upfront gives us another bathroom, but she still gets her pantry. Is it a compromise? Yup.

Lyfia, I might could have done that had DW not seen how big her island could be with this set up... :)

Kelly, we are southwest of DFW a little ways. Thanks for the kind words. The plan just started out with me and some graph paper. I sure hope it comes together like I envision it. It might be a total disaster...who knows?

Thanks for the help ya'll. The plan(and our house) has already improved immensely due to your input, and we really appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1399724}}

• 16 years ago

I certainly have no problem with the orientation if DW is happier! Just wanted you to think about the view from the other rooms as well as the view out of the kitchen. It's only 'my job' to point out things to consider, and after you consider, decide, and are happy with your choice, I'm happy for you!

• 16 years ago

Rhome, I agree. You(and others) have done exactly what I hoped for. Provided constructive criticism. In fact, you drove me to really re-consider that back hallway, and I am very happy you did. I think our family will live much better in this house because of your input! Thanks again! :)

• 16 years ago

obwannab - you did just what I suggested with the island and dining. Looks great now and you can now exapand a table into the kitchen area if you need it temporarily for a large party. I like your plan.

The only other thing to consider is the toilet room and the door swing. You have to step to the side of the toilet as it is now to close the door. Not sure what you could do there other than add a pocket door maybe since the door would fight with your other door.

• 16 years ago

I like the revised kitchen better.

Elsewhere, I was bleeped for being anti-island, by someone who wanted the extra workspace. I bake year round, and do a lot of canning and preserving in the summer, so I understand about wanting counterspace. My future house will incorporate an idea from a house I rented long ago. Wheeled carts -with work-top and adjustable shelves below - will be used. They were designed so that they fit under the usual counter, and each had a door panel on one end. At a glance, you never realized that pulling the "door" would roll a cart out! That provides extra countertop when it's needed, without adding steps the rest of the time. In fact, I'm seriously considering having *no* undercounter shelves in the kitchen -- just the carts.

BTW ~ it was DH who burned the bacon while talking on the phone... yes, the hood vent was on; and no, the kitchen didn't catch fire (but it was close). It took a full week to scrub greasy smoke off cabinets, ceiling, and walls. He has promised to never again talk on the phone while cooking.

• 16 years ago

Meldy_NVA,

I think those carts sound really neat. We might employ that idea in the bonus room where the DW was wanting built-ins to house and work on her craft stuff. Using your idea, she could have all her supplies right next to her, and have a workspace on top to boot. Then when she's done, she could just roll them away under the other cabinets. I think that is a very clever idea.

You wouldn't have any pics or website where I could see something like that do you?

• 16 years ago

I wish I had pics!!

The kitchen cabinet-carts were in a rental house built by a retired carpenter; apparently his own idea. The counters were standard height, each unit immediately beneath the counter had a shallow drawer. Below that was the cart, an open wood frame with one end that looked like a cabinet-style door with a toe-kick but off the floor about ¼". When the cart was pushed under the counter, all you noticed was the "door" which matched the other cabinet doors. I remember there were wooden plinths which actually looked like the standard vertical cabinet dividers; the plinths acted as a stop so you couldn't push the cart through and smash the wall at the back. Most of the carts had adjustable "shelves" (shallow baskets actually) and two had a countertop for the top shelf -- I really loved those when I baked.

I liked another of his ideas for some of the wall cabinets. The door of the cabinet was actually a shallow box with shelves (facing the usual shelves) that were just wide enough to hold cups or canned goods.

I've haunted websites and carpentry info, and haven't found anything really close, although there are lots of cart plans available. So now I'm looking for a carpenter!

Depending on which sort of crafts your DW is into, also consider adapting stackable shoe drawers -boot size-, maybe hidden behind bi-folds. I use these for storing sweatshirts in the BR as well as hold yarns in the craftroom. Sweater size hold flatwork. Link is to the ones I use -- I've got them stacked 9 tall with no problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: all-purpose storage drawers