Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

Bill V.--need your advice

15 years ago

Hi Bill,

WeÂre installing a shower, w/ a Kohler cast iron shower panÂKohler Purist K-9026 with tiled walls and ceiling (inside the shower only).

WeÂd like the bull nose tile to come flush with the front edge of the shower pan, as shown below.

Our shower will have a one foot soffit, and we plan to tile the ceiling of the shower (ceiling height will only be 7'2"-7'4"). There will be no lip under the soffit, or on either side of the shower. The soffit will not extend any further than the shower pan edge (so the bull nose tile will run continuously around the shower entrance walls and ceiling).

Is this okay, both for form as well as for function?

FYI, the field tile will be Daltile Modern Dimensions; 4 ¼ x 12 ¾ hung vertically and the shower will be 3 x 4 (shower pan is 36" x 48" x 4").

{{gwi:1469960}}

Thanks for any and all advice (as always)!

cat_mom

PS What's the word on the house? Fingers have been crossed for you!

Comments (12)

• 15 years ago

Oops, DH got in touch with our tile guy--apparently we are better off coming out an inch (+/-) past the pan with the tile (so shower bull nose tile and the outside floor tile will meet). Any thoughts, good, bad, otherwise....?

• 15 years ago

Here's the updated diagram:

• 15 years ago

Okay, a couple of things. First, I wouldn't bring the bullnose out past plumb with the face of the soffit. Otherwise, atleast from what I'm seeing in the diagram, you'll have a sliver of bullnose running up the wall in front of the soffit. NG. Secondly, the diagram shows sheetrock being used throughout. I think you already no that's a no-no. I would make sure there's framing set so that you can stop the cement board and start the sheetrock on a stud, centered on the "curb" of the base, so that the tile covers the transition.

As for the house, as of this morning, we're under contract. :-)

• 15 years ago

Bill,

cat_mom's DH here.

First, thank you VERY much for taking the time to provide input on our shower/pan/tile question.

Re: sheet rock...

yes, my bad... sheetrock only on the 6" wall facing the rest of the bathrm (not tiled)...and durock (or cement board) over the inside of the shower walls... corner bead where the sheetrock meets the durock (the durock continues out past the stud, the sheetrock comes up to hit the backside of the durock, corner-bead covers both for an outside corner).

Re: "sliver...in front of the soffit"

I'm afraid I didn't quite follow your stmt about the "sliver...in front of the soffit". Our framer is planning on framing out the soffit to also extend beyond the end of the shower pan so that the bullnoze tile coming across the underneath of the soffit (no lip) meets the bullnoze tile coming up the side. In other words, the framing 2x4 going across the lower front edge of the soffit would meet the 2x4 framing stud coming up the side...add 1/2" for the durock that extends even beyond the soffit framing stud (to be joined via corner bead with the sheetrock coming down the front face of the soffit) -- and that should make the bullnoze tiles coming across the underneath of the soffit meet that coming up the walls.

That's my understanding... that said, do you still foresee issue(s)?

Thanks again!!!

BTW, cat_mom says, "Congrats!!! Hope everything goes smoothly!"

• 15 years ago

Hey-- I've even got a name just for you-- Cat_mom's_dude! (Katmandu?)

Anyway, back to business. :-) With reference to the soffitt, that makes more sense. I thought Cat_mom said the soffitt was going to be flush with the front of the pan, and going an inch past would've put a sliver up there. No matter HOW it goes, you want the tile to be flush with that soffitt, so everything kinda "clicks" together.... like it has a purpose and was planned for. :-)

Now, RE the sheetrock vs. cement board-- if you've got sheetrock inside that shower, you want to take it down before you go too far and replace it. better to do it now, when all you're wasting is time and sheetrock, than afterward when the wholething has to come apart and replace rotted framing, the subfloor below, the ceiling below that (if there is one), etc..

And thank you. You know what they say-- nothing worth anything is easy!! You're finding that out right now, too!! :-)

• 15 years ago

cat_mom here--Bill you are one funny guy!!! DH loves the name (I think you might have created a monster--LOL!).

Soffit--good

Sheetrock--already gutted (orig. a closet, just now expanded into our garage space by about 2 ft, for the shower)--nothing's been put up yet, it's still down to the studs, so we're good.

DH (katmandu!) had already planned on cement board for shower walls (I haven't been trolling these forums the past 1 1/2-2 yrs, gleaning info for nuthin'!!!).

Thanks so much for your help! Might have some other questions along the way (and who here doesn't?!), but we know who to ask!!

I've got my fingers crossed for you. With all the wonderful help and advice you've given to all of us along the way, you are surely on the list for some good karma!

• 15 years ago

I'll be here, when you're ready, and thanks-- I could sure use some!!

• 15 years ago

That's what we love about ya Bill!

Thanks again!

• 15 years ago

Hey Cat! My brother is using the Artic White in that line.

He's in Florida so I haven't seen his bathroom yet. Sounds like the same size too :-) I think his is matte.

• 15 years ago

Hi mari!! We'll be getting the glossy tile. We'll have a glossy white cast iron shower pan, white toilet, and glossy white porcelain/fireclay integrated sink top. Glossy tile just seems like the way to go. The matte tile looks neat, too though.

• 15 years ago

I am sure the glossy is beautiful. He chose matte because that was the only one he could get in a hurry where he is. They needed the bathroom done ASAP.

Yours sounds classy as usual :-) Is this the smaller bath?

• 15 years ago

Aw shucks--thanks!

This is the downstairs bath off our family room. Spare/guest bedroom is off the family room as well, so we are putting in a shower and making it a full bath.

Upstairs bathroom renos won't happen 'til next year most likely...