Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picchudog

Building with stock floor plans i.e. eplans.com

14 years ago

Hi there,

We're in the exploratory phase of designing and building a house. We've identified a vacant lot and are now in initial discussions with some small semi-custom builders.

A couple of them have suggested that we go to them with drawings and plans and having them bid on the project.

So after doing some searches on-line, I came across a couple of sites that offered stock floor plans for purchase. Before committing a couple of thousand dollars for these plans, thought I would come here to find out everyone's thoughts on using them.

So a few questions:

1) Any comments on the quality of the plans and drawings in terms of being able to use them for permits and construction?

2) Any idea on how much it would cost to have them do some changes to one of their stock plans?

3) There seemed to be quite a few of these sites available - any recommendations on one over the other?

4) In terms of options, there seemed to be an option for CAD (which generally costs around $2000) and one in PDF format (generally around $1000). According to the sites, both formats are suitable for modifications. Would CAD be the way to go, assuming that we might need some minor changes made i.e. permits.

Anything else I haven't asked?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• 14 years ago

We're just going through the same process - except I have the advantage of having/using AutoCAD for work...

I can't answer about using those plans for permits as we haven't gotten to that stage yet, though they seem quite complete. Most likely the local authorities would want some minor things changed to satisfy local codes. Not sure if all the web site places would do that for you.

As to how much they charge, from what I've seen, it really varies from site to site and depending on the extent of modifications you want.

As to which one is the best - that depends on which site has the plan you like best !-)

The main reason I'm posting is your last question re: PDFs. In general PDFs are *not* editable - except by exporting them to a TIFF or JPG and then editing pixels in a photo editing software package. This isn't the same as CAD where you can move whole walls, windows, etc. We ended up printing out PDFs of some of the floor plans we liked the best and then creating our own design, effectively from scratch and incorporating this idea from this plan and that one from the other.

(As an aside, I think a big part for the difference in cost is that in effect the architect is 'selling' the copyright to the drawing since with the CAD file you can change and print it as many times as you want.)

If the change(s) you want to make are truly minor CAD is certainly not worth it - I'm sure the web site would do the change for you for less than the cost difference from paper to CAD.

Good luck!

• 14 years ago

Dh and I purchased plans from a website(globalhouseplans.com). We ordered a 5 set pkg. for about $600 and as it worked out we probably only needed 2 sets. Our builder was able to "convert" the plan to 2X6 framing instead of 2X4 and we made little changes like for storage and a small furnace room was added in the garage. We also added 2 more windows without a problem and that was ordering the plans "as is". Most of the websites have an "800" number you can call to ask questions. Your local planning dept. would be able to tell you what you need also. Dh and I just didn't want to spend the money on an architect to draw up our plans and we knew the builder could build from the stock plans. The CAD sounds like a better idea actually; just be sure and ask your builder and local planning dept., etc. HTH

• 14 years ago

The architect is not selling the copyright with the CAD option. They just charge more for it, probably because it entails greater risk that illegal copies will be made.

Regarding these plan mills. Some of the plans listed on these sites appear to be very old and may not have been drawn with today's codes and materials in mind. Some of the plans are actually pretty poor. Some are good. The quality varies tremendously. Many of the plans are available on multiple sites.

Depending on where you live, you may or may not need a local architect or engineer to review and/or stamp the plans. Ask your building department/permitting office. They will know.

If you find a plan you like, you can post a link to it here and solicit comments. You are certain to get a thorough review.

The CAD option is of no benefit unless you hire someone locally to modify the plan. That means you will have to pay a local architect or residential designer to make the changes. Be careful. Costs can spiral out of control if you and the person making the changes don't have a firm agreement regarding what is to be done and how much it is going to cost. Absent that, you will probably be billed by the hour. Architects tend to have steep hourly fees.

A design-build firm probably would have CAD capabilities, if you are considering one of them as your builder.

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts - it's true that some of the plans look old (the layout just looks dated). And we will be building in Ontario, so apparently on the building permit, the designer/architect needs to have a BCIN number.

Based on what we've found, we have only found one place on-line (Drummond Designs) that have offices in Quebec and Ontario that offer the BCIN number so if we're going to go with this, it looks like our best option.

• 14 years ago

I have no experience with AutoCAD.....we looked at TONS of plans online. Eplans is probably the most well known. We found our plan on monsterhouseplans.com. I made a LOT of changes to it. I sketched them out on paper, as to scale as I could. They then modified the plan for me. The modifications cost about $1000 in addition to the cost of the plan itself. Jeff Spring, who is an architect and owner of that site, personally answered the phone and my questions whenever I called, which I liked. He was very helpful............My only complaint about the actual prints is that some "detail" pages have things crossed out and it says "refer to modified floor plan". (Things like suggested window sizes, cabinetry, etc on areas that I changed.)

• 6 years ago

We are building a house in Atlantic Canada next spring.

We ordered "review plans" from eplans.com for this house >>> http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwbdo71374.html?from=search#modify_plan.

So far we've only invested $99. We have met with two contractors to get estimates. Although more detailed plans would be better, they seem to be able to work with what we have so far. Our preferred contractor has suggested that we order the "reproducible master" and he can make as many copies as required. We plan to make a few minor changes such as 1) eliminate two windows to allow for built-in entertainment centre near fireplace 2) make main floor sliding patio doors wider 3) modify the layout of the kitchen cabinets and 4) move the laundry to the basement.

I feel that these changes are fairly easy for the contractor to deal with during the building of the house.

Questions:

1) Do these small changes have to be reflected on the drawings that gets "stamped" for municipal approval? or can it just be noted?

2) If the drawing does not have a BCIN# (which another commenter says is required for Canada), what is the process for getting that on drawings ordered from a site like eplans.com

3) The reproducible master is $1000. Are we better off taking the review drawings to a local architect and having them re-draw the plans with our changes and to meet local code? I realize that will probably cost more than $1000

Thanks for any insight/opinions.

Stephanie in St. Andrews-by-the-sea

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There is thread after thread after thread discussing the pros and cons of using plans from plan factories versus going to an experienced architect or designer to work personally on a specific design for your site, budget and you. Have you searched for some of these threads? There's several which are current on the forum, as we speak! Look for "The true cost of generic online plans?" :-)

• 6 years ago

Thank you Virgil, I have read through some. I will keep sifting. 20+ years ago I ordered plans from the back of Country Living Magazine. My builder (at the time) had no problems using the stock plans and our experience was very positive but the approval process may be more onerous now.

• 6 years ago

Hi Stephanie in St. Andrews-by-the-sea - would you please send me a message? I had some questions about your build and your eplans experience.

• 6 years ago

Hi Stephanie,

some perhaps more detailed answers to your questions based on my experience (civil engineer from Ontario living in Maryland with a coastal place we built in Delaware).

1) eliminate two windows to allow for built-in entertainment centre near fireplace - probably can change but I'm a big fan of having *all* the changes you can think of shown on the drawings. Avoids surprises and extras - and you'll have plenty of those!

2) make main floor sliding patio doors wider - definitely needs to be shown on approved plans as it affects the structure (extreme example: change from a 3' door to a 10' door, what keeps it from sagging in the middle?)

3) modify the layout of the kitchen cabinets - if you mean replace two 24" cabinets with a 48" cabinet, nah, no big deal! If you mean move the sink and/or stove and/or fridge, yes, definitely. Affects plumbing and electrical and other codes (possibly minimum side clearance to stove, for example)

4) move the laundry to the basement - definitely needs to be on approved plans. [Aside: plans I saw on line spoke of a two story and didn't show a basement level, let alone foundation details etc.

Questions:

1) Do these small changes have to be reflected on the drawings that gets "stamped" for municipal approval? or can it just be noted?

See above.

2) If the drawing does not have a BCIN# (which another commenter says is required for Canada), what is the process for getting that on drawings ordered from a site like eplans.com

BCIN (building code identification number) is an Ontario thing - designers need to pass an exam to prove that they're aware of the Ontario Building Code and was passed because the municipalities were tired of dealing with too much generic crap and incomplete designs. Not sure about NB's reqirements - I don't think they have such a thing.

That said, you *will* need someone that knows the local codes - for our place in DE we had to add hurricane proof windows and detailed huricane tiedown straps at specific locations in the house. Odds are that the plans from eplans are based on US codes which are similar but not the same as Canadian codes.

3) Are we better off taking the review drawings to a local architect and having them re-draw the plans with our changes and to meet local code?

Definitely start the conversation with the review drawings and ask the designer (note that you don't always need an architect, there are designers that can do the job. Ask your contractors for references - they've worked with numerous ones and can surely point you in the right direction.) You might find that the 'local code' changes are much more substantial than you'd think (foundations based on soil conditions on your site, wind loads, snow loads, etc., etc.)

Also to save anything, the drawings need to be in an editable format (not just reproducible) for them to be of any use to the designer as a base. Otherwise if they're simply 'reproducible' mylars (a fancy form of plastic for blueprints), they are often a pain to work with other than for very minor changes and end up getting re-done anyway. (Another example would be if, say, the local municipality wants metric drawings instead of imperial drawings - for a relatively simple design such as the one you've chosen, it would probably be faster to re-do than to change all the dimensions.)

Good luck!

• 6 years ago

Dear msavold Thank you for your thoughtful response. After much reading and exchange yesterday, I had pretty much come to the conclusion not to buy the eplans but to have a local expert re-draw them with our exact changes and to meet local code. I have reached out to 3 people in my area who are qualified to draw up plans and seem reputable. The prices quoted for the service were $1500, $1600 & $2700 +HST (CAN). The $1600 one was the person I felt I clicked with best and I know someone personally that he worked with in the past with great success. I really appreciate this on-line community. I have a lot to learn and everyone seems genuine in their desire to help.

• 6 years ago

Another perspective - we are building and looked into a plan from eplans as well. We showed a sample to our builder, and he commented that he could be more competitive price-wise with one of their own plans - as they build them all the time and are familiar with the "ins and outs" vs. a plan that is brand new to them. We liked one of their plans, anyway, that was similar to the eplan so we had the architect redraw some things that were important to us.