Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olga_6b

Dishwasher advice

13 years ago

I am not sure my question can be posted here. Please excuse me if I am wrong. Probably you can steer me in right direction. I am an active member of garden forums for many years (roses, daylilies, orchard, etc), but never poseted here.

Last December we bought a new Kenmore Elite diswasher. It is still on warranty. In early August it stopped working. We called Sears, waited three weeks and the master came only to tell us that the whole electronic panel is dead and they need to order the new one. It will be ordered by Sears and delivered to our home in 3-4 days. When some time passed and nothing came, we called Sears again and they told us (very politely) that the part is on backorder and will be available at earliest after October 29th, could be later. At this point (in November hopefully)we should call Sears again and make an appointment for the part installation. This is an awfully long time to wait for dishwasher on warranty to be repaired. I have a family, it is really quite inconvinient.

Did anybody else experience something similar? What did you do in this situation. I understd that if part is not available, Sears can't do much now in terms of repair, but still I feel something can be done (loner dishwasher, offer to exchange for new one with some additional paiment from our side, etc). This just doesn't sound right that if you have a warranty there are no mechanism to get what you paid for earlier.

Olga

Comments (6)

• 13 years ago

It isn't right. These warranties should really be a contractual obligation for repairs to be done in a reasonable time. (Whether they are or not, the lawyers might know...) But you are letting them be bad. You should not have let them take 3 weeks to come out and look at it in the first place.

At this point, I would go in person to where you bought the dishwasher and speak to a manager. Put the timeline of events in writing and give them a copy. Explain that 3 months to repair a dishwasher is unacceptable and that you require a working dishwasher within one week. DO NOT ACCEPT any excuses. If you accept excuses for bad service, then you will get bad service. For example, when they say, "The part is backordered until October 29," do not accept that excuse as if it is valid, acceptable, or the only solution to the problem that they are contractually obligated to solve. Simply REPEAT that you require a working dishwasher within a week, that if they cannot repair your current one in a reasonable time, they will have to install a new, equivalent model within a week.

Do not take no for an answer; no matter what excuse you hear, repeat what you want. Stay laser-focused on what you want and have a right to: a working dishwasher within a week. Don't pay any attention at all to any difficulty they might have making this happen. Just stay focused on what you want.

Remember that (supposedly) not being able to obtain a critical part for warranty repair is THEIR problem. It shouldn't have to be your problem. Repairing your current dishwasher is the cheapest way for them to fulfill their obligation, but replacement is another way to do so, and that's what they should do if they can't repair it in a reasonable time.

At some point, if they offer something closer to acceptable (say, a floor model not quite as good as your current model installed within a few days, or getting the part from some other store within 2 weeks), you can always accept that offer. Get it in WRITING before leaving the store (just jot it down and have the manager sign it). Then call to check up on the follow-through. For example, if they are supposed to show up to repair on a Thursday, call on Wednesday to confirm. If they don't show up on Thursday, call IMMEDIATELY (at the end of the repair window). And call EVERY DAY to follow up. Make it clear they will hear from you literally every day until you have a working dishwasher.

• 13 years ago

Hi Olga,

3 weeks response time to your first call is abusive. You should never have to wait more than a week for your initial response. 10 days at the most. Then, after 3 weeks wait, they tell you a few days and disappear, THEN, when you call back, they tell you that your total downtime will be at least 3 months???

That is abuse.

You are being treated abusively by Sears. This is not reasonable, this is not concern for the customer, this is intentional, pointed neglect.

Pick up the phone today, call Sears service and tell them that you are unwilling to wait 3 months doing dishes by hand. If the service rep tells you there is nothing he or she can do, tell them to escalate the call because you are not going to do dishes by hand for 3 months for ANYBODY. If they still refuse, tell them to issue you an RMA because it is going back to the store. Call the store directly and speak to the manager for an RMA if the call center refuses.

They have several options, fix, replace, a loaner, refund, but your doing dishes by hand any longer is not within their universe of possibility.

• 13 years ago

YOu don't say where you live but many states have Implied Merchantability laws. Basically these laws share one common theme. The manufacturer has 30 days to fix an appliance starting with the 1st date of the service visit.
    If they can't repair it with-in the 30 day limit they have to replace it. Now the important part is they don't have to automatically replace it if you did not request a replacement. That's the Key... You must ask them to replace it. If they say no tell them you will be turning it over to the state AG for investigation.

• 13 years ago

Thank you very much. This is very helpful. I was feeling it is all wrong, but needed to confirm that my feelings are justified. I am in Maryland.
    We bought dishwasher from Sears, warranty is from Sears and the repair center is Sears too, no other parties involved.
    I will follow your advices, will go to talk to the manager at the store where we bought this dishwasher and will call repair center again. Right now I am going to look if MD is one of the states with Implied Merchantability law.

Thanks again.
    olga

• 13 years ago

Olga, would you mind giving us an update on what Sears is up to with this? Are they going to get you a loaner, replacement, or the proper repairs done in a timely fashion? I am really curious to see how you are treated here, and it will serve as a valuable signpost to let people know just how well or poorly Sears treats you after you called their bluff.

• 13 years ago

It may also be useful to mention that you have inquired about the service on a popular forum. That you have had many responses, and that the members are waiting to see how Sears resolves this issue.