Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Cherry kitchen - okay to make Master Bth espresso maple?

11 years ago

After much, much thought, I've decided to compromise with my husband and do our perimeter kitchen cabinets in natural cherry with a choc. glaze, while still sticking with my gray, rustic island. (I originally wanted white cabinets...long story, but dh didn't prefer the white.) Anyway, my family room which joins the kitchen will have a stone fireplace and a bit of a traditional/rustic feel. I really like the way it all coordinates. So here's my question: even though I'm going with a bit of rustic & cherry, is it okay to make my master bath cabinets espresso maple? The rest of the house is consistent with the wood tones, but since I'm having a pedestal tub, I still want to stick with dark cabinets, chrome fixtures, Rest. Hardware pulls in my bath. Still traditional and classic, but just a different look from rest of house. Yay or Nay? Thanks! PS - This is a new build...

Comments (7)

• 11 years ago

Of course you can!

Things like this are what makes a custom home better than a spec home. Having the same cabinets throughout the entire house is NOT a sign of good--it's a sign of builder shortcuts.

Don't go with a totally different style, though. They still need to be right for the house overall.

• 11 years ago

Wy not? Your masterbath and kitchen won't be visible while standing in one spot, right? Do the wood that makes sense for each room as long as you don't choose completely divergent styles like a completely rustic, distressed country kitchen and an uber modern, sleek MB.

Good for you for getting decisions in the can!

• 11 years ago

Of Course You Can!!!

• 11 years ago

My kitchen has painted white and medium brown stained cabinets. My bathroom has espresso maple. It all works out fine.

• 11 years ago

Good to hear! Thanks for the responses, Breezygirl, YES, it's all decided on and I've put my John Hancock on all the paperwork for all cabinetry, all appliances, and all plumbing for the entire house. Woop, woop! (Now I can breathe.. ha!) :)

• 11 years ago

ok this is creepy...... I've been struggling with cabinet finishes cream with blue/gray island or stained with blue/gray island. Our kitchen is open to our family room that will have a corner stone fireplace and cabinetry for the tv. Just this morning we FINALLY decided to do stain with painted island. About an hour ago DH tells me to ask the cab guy is he has any cherry to look at and he wants to glaze it. I was thinking a chocolate glaze would look good. Our house will be a tad on the rustic side with log siding exterior.

How did you get in my head?? :)

have you decided on the island color yet? and are you going to glaze it?

I'm a bit jealous you've signed off on so much, I'm so overwhelmed right now. but it'll get there. What type of floor did you decide for the kitchen / family room area?

• 11 years ago

Terri0826, it's taken me most of a month to really get to this point! Lots of questions here, and lots of perusing kitchens on the internet. I was getting to the point where I wasn't sleeping -- I was dreaming kitchens all. night. long! It feels really good to just decide and get it off my mental list! Good luck to you -- it'll come! :) *Oh, my island is a distressed gray blue with a chocolate glaze. I can't wait to see how it all turns out! Excited!!