Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

Should I paint this triangle the same color as the walls?

11 years ago

Now that I've finished my project design-wise, I have some touch up painting to do. I've always gone back and forth on painting this triangle on the side of the stairs. So now that I'm painting some other areas, what do you think?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• 11 years ago

No, I read it as a wood panel.

• 11 years ago

My inclination is to leave it with the trim paint, but IRL I'd make a mock-up painted triangle and try it out as sometimes I benefit when I see it in situ and that would allow me to decide.

• 11 years ago

I agree, pal. That's why I have never painted it. It needs another coat of the off white anyhow. So it's going to be painted something regardless.

• 11 years ago

I honestly think it could go either way...ours is the trim color & to be honest, I've never even noticed how it was painted out....had to go look!!

BTW, Kevin....your room & your newly upholstered (wow!) chairs turned out great...enjoy & toast all of us when you have your first meal in the new space. We will vicariously be there with you, plus I want to eat in front of that FP & use that beautiful table setting...maybe I could just come???

• 11 years ago

I think it's part of the trim and should stay white but I'd love to see something like a wood applique stained the color of the treads to perk that little area up.

• 11 years ago

I'd leave it white.

• 11 years ago

I couldn't even find what you were talking about! I would leave it blending as part of the woodwork. It will be very eye-catching otherwise and makes more sense as wood.

• 11 years ago

I'd leave it white.

• 11 years ago

If you're not sure, cut a piece of blue paper and tape it there to see how it looks. I'm fairly certain you will decide to leave it white.

• 11 years ago

What bothers me more (because I have same condition in my house) is the gap in trim between stair 3 and 4.

• 11 years ago

mjib, have you ever considered cutting a piece to fill in that area? You will still have a structural transition block, but if it bothers you try a mock-up and see if that makes it look better.

• 11 years ago

I'd paint it a totally different contrasting color just for fun or a lighter version of your wall color.

• 11 years ago

I'd leave the panel white. You don't need to call atention to it, and Pal is right that it reads like wood paneling.

However, I would consider painting out the skirting boards running up the stair wall with the wall color. It's a little unorthodox, but I think it would quiet the stairs, solve the resolution problem between the two pieces, and make the staircase seem wider.

You've balanced the small room so well that any little trick to enlarge it is worth thinking about.

• 11 years ago

I think it is perfect as is. I love your before after dr. I think your home is a great representation of your area.
    May I ask what happened to the all white deer antlers?

• 11 years ago

Abundant Blessings -- I have thought of doing that (we have the correct wood in the garage). But so far, stasis rules.

• 11 years ago

mjlb, the reason there's that goofy step-up in moulding is because there was likely a door there at some point in this house's history (a lot of these houses still have that door there).

anninthedistrict, the white deer antlers (it was actually leather that I painted white, believe it or not) have found a home in my basement along with my old dining room rug.

I think I'm keeping it white.