Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennybird_gw

My collie needs help - long post

16 years ago

I have a female collie who will be 3 on Aug 27. I have taken her to the vet 3 times in the past 2 wks b/c she has so much going on right now. She is having trouble w/allergies and is on antibiotics b/c her skin is so bad. She also has a very slow thyroid, so just started on a med for that. She needs to lose some weight so I switched her food. She doesn't eat anything now, just the turkey I wrap her pills in twice a day. The most alarming thing though is that her legs shake, esp the rear ones. When she tries to poop, she ends up falling or lying down. Then, her back legs are so sore or stiff, she can only walk a couple feet before lying down again. She had a really bad patch of skin right at the base of her tail, I have washed it carefully and washed all the thick, crusty stuff off of it. The base of her tail seems very swollen. I am wondering if this is the reason for her falling, though her front legs seem shaky sometimes too. Has anybody experienced anything like this? I have switched her back to her old food, but she still isn't eating. I should mention that she has been constantly panting for several days. It is very hot here, but she does it even when the temp is comfortable. The vet thinks this could be in response to pain, though she is on pain pills.

Comments (7)

• 16 years ago

It sounds like she may be allergic to one of the meds she is taking. Pain pills can cause problems. Antibiotics not as much. And then it could be the thyroid med. Seems like she is taking too many meds. Can you just give her the antibiotics till the skin problems subside? And then try each new med, one at a time, so you can isolate the problem.

What did the vet say when you told him she wasn't eating and falling over? Was she OK, aside from the allergies, before all the new medications?

• 16 years ago

Mes444- In hind sight, her back legs have been stiff for several months. When I stopped to think about it, she hasn't been on the couch when I get home from work for months. (b/c she can't jump up there) We can certainly cut back on the other meds, b/c I agree, she is on alot of them right now. The vet doesn't know what to think and wants to start some tests on her if we can't figure this out.
    Thanks, Jenny

• 16 years ago

Has your vet considered the possibility that your dog may be suffering from an oversensitivity to certain drugs? Many collies and related breeds are prone to a genetic mutation called Multidrug Resistance. You can read about it at the link below. You can also order a testing kit for Multidrug Resistance through this link. It's certainly something to discuss with your vet.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Multi-Drug Resistance in Collies

• 16 years ago

Jennybird, I just had one more thought I wanted to add. Is the pain med your dog is taking, Rimadyl, because that one is known for problems in certain dogs. Here is a side effect note I found at 1-800-Petmeds:

Side effects include loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, dark or tarry stools, increased thirst and urination, lethargy, incoordination, seizure or behavioral changes. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to this medication can include facial swelling, hives and rash.

Sounds like some of your dog's symptoms.

• 16 years ago

laurief- thanks for the link, I will get the testing done so I know a little more what we are dealing w/.
    mes444- she is not on Rimadyl, but the side effects are the same, including the tarry stools. I wonder if the same side effects could be caused by a different drug, esp in a collie. I will call the vet this afternoon w/this info.
    Jenny

• 16 years ago

Tarry stool may indicate blood in the stool, and that's never a good sign. Discuss that will your vet. All NSAIDS have the potential to damage the liver and/or kidneys; that's not a problem exclusive to Rimadyl. If you haven't had it done very recently, you should strongly consider having a blood panel run to make sure her liver and kidneys are ok.

Laurie

• 16 years ago

Jennybird, sorry to hear that you are going through all of this.

I had a Shepherd/Lab that had numerous issues all of her life including a thyroid and skin issues.

You need to find yourself another vet, he/she does not know what they are doing. I learned a valuable lesson when dealing with vets and how they handle things. I always ask what to look for as far as side effects, I research what they are taking, AND I always ask the vet to give me a schedule for what the meds are supposed to do. If you do not narrow down a time with the meds, things can go on and on as you have experienced.

You also need to find a "qualified" veterinary dermatologist. This is a completely different field from regular veterinary practice. They are trained in aspects of skin issues and recognize more.

You have what sounds like a serious issue on your hands and you really need to approach your vet and state that things are not going well and that you are not happy.

Good luck!

SG